Fingerspelling speeds?

nope

Reaction score
I don't have anyone I can fingerspell with so improving is pretty difficult. I practice as much as I can and I try to use internet resources to help, but it's not the same as trying to understand another person. This is probably posted to the wrong section - forgive me if it is!- but how fast do people typically fingerspell and at what speed should I be able to comprehend them? I found this website-- Dr. Bill Vicars' American Sign Language (ASL) Fingerspelling Practice Site -- and I can consistently read (is that the word I'm looking for?) at the 'fast' setting, but not at the setting labeled 'deaf.' I'm practicing everyday to work on improving, but I'm making pretty slow progress. Would you say most deaf people fingerspell at that speed? It seems unbelievably fast to me... and quite intimidating! Will people be annoyed if I have to ask them to fingerspell slower?

I'm awful at reading fast fingerspelling. I can finger spell pretty fast myself but when others finger spell to me they have to go slow enough so I can keep track.

I have a really hard time telling M, N, T, S, and A apart, especially when they're signed at a certain angle into my palm.

:rofl:

Have you tried the ASL pro site.. they have a fingerspelling test thing too..

Truth be told I can see what you spell when you are at a fair distance but if you're too far away and or too close everything just passes me by haha.. may have to go get me new glasses or something!:P

I'm so glad I'm not going to be the only one who isn't a fantastic fingerspeller! :lol: I try my best, but I have the same problem with those letters too! I'm not going to lie, most of my understanding comes from guessing... if I see a c-r-ful, I just assume it's "careful" because I can't think of another word that would fit. Yikes!
I like the aslpro.com website, too, but I get very confused with the way they sign "g." Maybe I should practice with that site too so I'm okay with understanding letters signed alot differently than I learned them!

If I ever meet you in real life, please don't be annoyed if you have to fingerspell things two or three times because I'm such a slow learner!!!

I'm really slow at reading finger spelling. I guess because I'm translating the letters in my head.

I can read fingerspelling in the medium speed mode, but the fast speed mode is somewhat difficult for me.

c-r-ful as you described is just how I learned receptive fingerspelling skills. They said that was a great way to speed read. You seem to be doing well. Find a friend and spend an evening or two watching movies and spelling or something. Have fun. I like Vicars site best too.

I'm not going to lie, most of my understanding comes from guessing... if I see a c-r-ful, I just assume it's "careful" because I can't think of another word that would fit.

I do that too. I gather at least some native signers do as well -- I've started fingerspelling something and had Deaf people I'm talking with guess what I meant before I finished.

They guess a LOT faster than I do though!

Thanks, guys :ty: You made me feel so much more confident about practicing with someone! I'm going to find another student and force them to play with me - ha!

I'm pretty slow at fingerspelling too... even slower at reading others' fingerspelling. I've noticed that a lot of the letters are signed kind of half-way... not fully the letter like on the Bill Vicars site, so I always have to ask them to slow down so I can get what they are saying. The letters seem to run together for me... I've GOT to start practicing more! lol

deaf speed = kinda slow for me.

for kicks, i clicked deaf speed, then clicked faster four times and still was able to read it all pretty well.

deaf speed = kinda slow for me.

for kicks, i clicked deaf speed, then clicked faster four times and still was able to read it all pretty well.

Holy Crap! Lol :) You, friend, must be an excellent fingerspeller/understander. I was hoping that one day, maybe, I'd be able to even figure out the deaf speed words after two run-throughs! For example, I stare at your avatar/icon thing for a few times everytime I run across one of your posts and i still have no clue what it spells :laugh2:

Also, the website is a bit weird cause you miss out on some of the letter transitions, if that makes any sense. Or maybe at the fast speeds it doesn't even matter!

Holy Crap! Lol :) You, friend, must be an excellent fingerspeller/understander. I was hoping that one day, maybe, I'd be able to even figure out the deaf speed words after two run-throughs! For example, I stare at your avatar/icon thing for a few times everytime I run across one of your posts and i still have no clue what it spells :laugh2:

Also, the website is a bit weird cause you miss out on some of the letter transitions, if that makes any sense. Or maybe at the fast speeds it doesn't even matter!

It isn't nice.

I'm able to read fingerspelling at a fast mode; and when I fingerspell, I can fingerspell it pretty fast as well but I usually slow down a little bit to make it clear for others to understand me.

But, there are times I catch myself having to ask them to repeat because there are some sloppy fingerspellers and doesn't make it clear with their letters.

In general (and this is to anyone), would you prefer someone to fingerspell a bit faster with slightly sloppier handshapes or slower with precision?

In general (and this is to anyone), would you prefer someone to fingerspell a bit faster with slightly sloppier handshapes or slower with precision?

In general, I'd prefer it to be slightly slower with precision.

Yeah the transitions and hand shapes help a lot.

BTW, my avatar is "pain in the ass" =D

Back