Fingerspelling question

KStiletto

Reaction score
When native signers sign fluently at the regular pace it is done so fast and leaves me to wonder how. Im assuming they are not signing each letter perfectly, but doing more of a blend, for a lack of better words. When I practice using the fingerspelling quiz on LP the fastest option is so fast, theres no way to figure out if wach letter is signed fully. Can someone explain/create a video demonstration performing a few easy and elaborate words. Thanks.

I can't follow those "practice", they're useless, even though I am myself a very fast speller.

See, when it's fast, you end up realising that each word has a particular "shape", and once you know what "shape" a word has, it's trivial to read it. (Context also serves as a hint)

But those fingerspelling quiz's just bring up each letter at a time, there's no "shape" to recognise there. :(

I can't follow those "practice", they're useless, even though I am myself a very fast speller.

See, when it's fast, you end up realising that each word has a particular "shape", and once you know what "shape" a word has, it's trivial to read it. (Context also serves as a hint)

But those fingerspelling quiz's just bring up each letter at a time, there's no "shape" to recognise there. :(

Gotcha, but I'd still like to be able to read fast finger spelling, and not have the :shock: face.

When native signers sign fluently at the regular pace it is done so fast and leaves me to wonder how. Im assuming they are not signing each letter perfectly, but doing more of a blend, for a lack of better words. When I practice using the fingerspelling quiz on LP the fastest option is so fast, theres no way to figure out if wach letter is signed fully. Can someone explain/create a video demonstration performing a few easy and elaborate words. Thanks.

what is kind of native signers sign!

I usually re-watch until I see it, and I'm trying to start sounding things out instead of looking at the letters. There are some things that are lexicalized, and that might be what you're referring to. If that's the case, I'd google "Lexicalized fingerspelling" to read up on it.

Back