Fingerspelling Mistakes

Emmer

Reaction score
What do you do if you are fingerspelling a word and miss a letter or use the wrong one? Do you start the word over? Backtrack to the wrong letter? I mess up sometimes (being new) sometimes I hurry too much and spell my own name wrong (because I use my screen name signing on here and my real name in class). I know, I need to slow down, but after it happens, how do I go about correcting it?

I especially find it difficult when trying to spell longer words (like neuroscience, my major) I sometimes get lost mid-word and don't know where I am or I sign a letter wrong or something.

I was told at my Deaf club to continue spelling it. If they don't understand then you can repeat it. Most times, they can figure it out unless there are a lot of mistakes.

What do you do if you are fingerspelling a word and miss a letter or use the wrong one? Do you start the word over? Backtrack to the wrong letter? I mess up sometimes (being new) sometimes I hurry too much and spell my own name wrong (because I use my screen name signing on here and my real name in class). I know, I need to slow down, but after it happens, how do I go about correcting it?

I especially find it difficult when trying to spell longer words (like neuroscience, my major) I sometimes get lost mid-word and don't know where I am or I sign a letter wrong or something.

just speed it

I look at my hand as if were a misbehaving puppet and the hand in closed O shape returns the glare. (cheeky thing) I then repeat the spelling carefully.
lol

I look at my hand as if were a misbehaving puppet and the hand in closed O shape returns the glare. (cheeky thing) I then repeat the spelling carefully.
lol

Lol. Do you glare back ?? ;)

Isn't fingerspelling a result of one's brain activity like say ASL et al ?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

It depends on the situation.

In a casual situation where everyone caught the meaning of the word, keep going.

In a formal or technical situation where precise spelling is important, do it over.

When spelling your name, please do it right. :) Often during introductions the person to whom you spell your name will spell it back to you, so you can verify the spelling then.

Practice spelling your name. You know that you will have to spell that for the rest of your life, so might as well get it right. :giggle:

My gf slaps her own hand then re-spells the word. Kind of funny after a few mistakes! LOL! I usually just try to finger spell fast enough that no one notices a few mistakes. If someone is not sure they will ask for a repeat, then I fingerspell more slowly and make sure I spell correctly. Or I simply admit I don't know how to spell the word and give a best spelling I can.

I have been practicing and practicing a lot. To break my habit of saying each letter to myself, I have begun to recite different things after saying the word I am spelling. I don't want to get used to spelling a specific word to only one thought, song or poem, so I go with a variety of things.

I am also making short videos using lists of words I put together. This way I can see how I am doing and make sure that I can read it.

Once you are comfortable with individual letters. Try spelling syllables. That's what I did.

My Deaf club also suggested breaking up the word and spelling slowly. I was having an issue this past Sunday spelling neuropathy and fibromyalgia. They told me to break it down and spell the first part, then the second part, so it was neruo-pathy, then fibro-myalgia. that was a little easier. Even some of those seasoned ASL users stumble when spelling longer words. They had a hard time with chloroform when we were discussing the Casey Anthony trial.

My Deaf club also suggested breaking up the word and spelling slowly. I was having an issue this past Sunday spelling neuropathy and fibromyalgia. They told me to break it down and spell the first part, then the second part, so it was neruo-pathy, then fibro-myalgia. that was a little easier. Even some of those seasoned ASL users stumble when spelling longer words. They had a hard time with chloroform when we were discussing the Casey Anthony trial.

Oy! I have a hard time with those as well!

if your in the middle of a word can of a word or name can a "ok" pass as a "f"?

Once you are comfortable with individual letters. Try spelling syllables. That's what I did.

That is actually a really good idea, because I get overwhelmed or confused by the whole word (I'm very visual and my parents can still spell words and I don't know what they are talking about most of the time, in spite of the fact that I'm 24! :giggle: )

I did better last night, aside from one word. We were talking about what kind of work we do, and I was spelling graphic design because I didn't know the sign for it. I would spell grap and then hesitate a second to switch from g to h, and the instructor kept saying grape. Then I would start over and do the same thing again. Finally when she said grape, I just shook my head and finished it instead of starting over - so gra-phic instead of grap-hic. Design fortunately was easier to sign. Then I had some trouble reading when another kid said he worked at Panini's (something like that) which I hadn't heard of...I was so confused! What a weird word!

Back