Finding a terp for a few hours...

Taylor

Reaction score
Can anyone point me towards a resource where I could find a terp for one day...a few hours actually. There is a formal ceremony coming up that I will be a part of and will not be able to sign for Spice. I'd like to find a terp for a few hours so she can come and enjoy the ceremony as well. Any suggestions? Is there a resource similar to a yellow pages for terps?

(I know Reba wouldn't want to make the drive up to MD ;) )

I started with google but could not find what I was looking for. I found a lot of terps that were pretty far away, a lot of ASL students who aren't terps, etc. I am in the process of contacting the Hearing and Speech Agency to see if they have anything available.

I started with google but could not find what I was looking for. I found a lot of terps that were pretty far away, a lot of ASL students who aren't terps, etc. I am in the process of contacting the Hearing and Speech Agency to see if they have anything available.

I noticed you said, MD there ought to be plenty of interpreters in the area. I am sure, you won't have a problem finding one. Contact the American Sign Language Department, chairman or the person in charge, if any advance students are willing to interpret. Some professional working interpreters might ask for a fee but, for volunteer work then an advance student in the interpreter training program might be a good fit. Good luck!

Hmm, Oceanblue gave me an idea. You could contact a local community college's ASL teacher or someone in charge to ask someone who's a student sign language intepreter but at a good interpreting skills level so they can get experience interpreting for someone as a volunteer. :)

RID Click on "Find Member" along the left column. You can search by area code, zip code, state, city, etc.

Back