Find Your Way Out Of A 'Toxic' Relationship

Angel

♥"Concrete Angel"♥
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is your partner controlling? ‘Today’ relationships expert Dr. Gail Saltz explains how to identify and get out of this abusive situation...

Unfortunately, many women find themselves in an emotionally abusive or controlling relationship for quite some time before they are able to figure out what is happening . This is because the signs are very difficult for the person being controlled to spot. The manipulator will often choose someone who is susceptible to being controlled and undermined due to their own lack of confidence, dependent needs and desire for someone who will appear to protect them, care for them, give approval and make them feel needed.

Why and how do they do it?

The controller’s purpose is to gain power and get what they want by undermining their partner’s sense of who they are, thereby getting them to constantly submit.

They use tactics such as:

Intimidation — Using implied or veiled threats about withholding their love or leaving.
Guilt-tripping — Implying the partner is not caring enough or is too self-centered. This works especially well with more conscientious people.
Shaming — Putting down, insulting and using sarcasm to make the other person feel inadequate. This way they stay in power as the other person weakens.
Charm — A good controller is always seductive and knows how to be flattering at times in order to reel in their partner and bind her more tightly to him.
Turning the tables — They will claim that they in fact are the victim and are being put upon, to deflect any blame or confrontation and further induce guilt in their partner.

As you can see, these covert methods of undermining a person’s confidence and ability to see what is really going on can be very effective. So effective that signs you might see in yourself (if you are the one being controlled) are:

Who am I? — A feeling that you don't really know who you are anymore. You start to believe you are all these shameful, terrible things or are becoming someone you don't even recognize.
Chronic fear — For reasons you can't quite name, you feel afraid all the time. It is the fear that you are losing yourself and that you are powerless.
Fantasies of escape — Whether they are thoughts of fleeing the relationship or even thoughts that you or your partner will die so you will be free, these kinds of frightening thoughts will come to you.
Questioning reality — The controller is so busy changing the reality of what he is doing by denying, lying, rationalizing and beating up on you that you really no longer trust your sense of what's really happening anywhere and with everyone.
Isolation — Controllers work to isolate you from anyone else in your life who may support you and make their work more difficult. They may be intensely jealous and keep you from both friends and family. Eventually you find yourself isolated from everyone but him.
Lying — You will start lying to others in order to collude with him that nothing is going on. You will defend him despite your own panic and this will require distorting the truth to anyone that asks.

This controller convinces you that you cannot live without him, and because he has undermined your confidence and feelings of self-worth, you believe it. This is why many women can't seem to break free, or leave but end up back in the relationship. When a person first leaves the controller they have these horrible feelings of not knowing who they are at all, and this terror will make them return to being the abused and submissive person who thinks they will at least be taken care of and have some identity. The role of victim and martyr can be a draw for some women, particularly those who have carried around guilt of their own for some past issue. Women who grew up in a home where their father was controlling and abusive to their mother will often repeat the same thing with a partner and feel that, like their mother, somehow they deserve it.

Is change possible?
Some women think they can get their partner to change, but in fact no one changes who doesn't want to themselves. Unless he can see that his behavior is destructive and he wants to get help for his problem, he will not change. He would need to address why he feels so angrily powerless inside that he needs to push you into submission to feel validated. Frankly, this is a long shot at best.

The effects of such a relationship can undermine a woman's self-esteem and her ability to be intimate and trust. Lasting fears of being taken advantage of, being hurt and being unable to give and take in a relationship can take time to overcome. Similarly, there are lasting effects on the children of such a couple. A child may suffer lots of guilt, feeling that they should be able to protect Mom yet also being very angry with and even wanting to hurt Dad. They have trouble trusting a relationship and fear losing control or being controlled. They may be doomed to repeat either being a victim or a perpetrator in the future.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7115340/

Another good thread there ^Angel^ :thumb:

Adult domestic violence is one of the most serious criminal issue facing women today. That included gays, lesbians or men who abused by their female partners too. I always tell women who was and is involved in an abusive relationship that they are not alone or not to blame or doesn't deserve to be abused.

But not only controling, but making threats or act of body violence. (sp?) But, sometimes when women tried to leave their abusive controling husband usual they kills their wives. I hate that I felt like they are not protested. And that is so sad that they tried to surviving and moving on with their life without all the abusing and controling. But it's up to them who they can ask for help who to trust to tell their story, but sometimes people out there don't have much good information about how to get help. But, I think it's important for them to get the help they can to get out of the type of relationship. Nobody deserve it. ;)

This is a good timely and interesting thread--I sure can feel for what YOU (^Angel^) went through and why it may have took longer to get out of your abusive relationship.... :hug: but I'm here now for you--

There are many good points given that surely are considered warning signs and ways that'll bring up the red flag. Most couples tend to strive for a perfect and wonderful relationship where total communication will work in unison...plus, there's always room for improvements and areas where each couple can work diligently together WITH LOVE!

Good thread ^Angel^-- :ily:

Angel, Good thread...
I been there in serious problems in the marriage. I am still recovering by being suffer and working on self-esteem.. Dunno how long it gonna to take me to be fully recovery..

PurrMeow

Great thread Angel!

you posted:
Questioning reality — The controller is so busy changing the reality of what he is doing by denying, lying, rationalizing and beating up on you that you really no longer trust your sense of what's really happening anywhere and with everyone.

Shaming — Putting down, insulting and using sarcasm to make the other person feel inadequate. This way they stay in power as the other person weakens.

Turning the tables — They will claim that they in fact are the victim and are being put upon, to deflect any blame or confrontation and further induce guilt in their partner.

after reading those descriptions, i had realized those were the few of the several things i had to endure in the past relationship(s) and figured im better off just moving on -- i have no respect for the ex(s) nor the gf -- i found that the ex(s) were really doing some mind games on me after taking the time to really look at the experience overall which was a difficult road to take but i knew it was for my own sanity and ive come to the conclusion that the ex(s) seemed to like doing those kinds of things hurting me in the process and when i came to that realization i empowered myself and told myself im done with this argument and took the time to heal and get thru the anger i had toward the ex(s)

Aw Thanks girls! :ily: ...

I'm really sorry you went thru this too PurrMewo, It will take a real long time to be fully recovery! hang in there girl :hug: ...

I'll check out that book, but I usually use my instinct tho.

What about a book about How to spot a dangerous woman, for male readers?

I sure will look into those books, Thanks Deaflibrarian... :ily:

Good question Miss P, I wonder if they have books like that for men's to read too... :ily:

Back