Financing for NTID?

DeafBadger

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Premium Member
Reaction score
Currently, I am attending a local college for a two-year IT degree. VR is paying the whole way.

Several people here have encouraged me to try NTID in New York. It really sounds like a great experience.

But VR will not pay the full bill there. They will pay up to what the degree would cost in my home state, and I'd have to pay the rest.

I'm trying to get this degree without picking up student loans. The main reason is because of the economy. If I exit college with debt, it makes it harder for me to accept a lower salary at first.

And I may have to accept a lower salary to start with in this economy.

So my question is, is anyone aware of any scholarships or grants for deaf or hard of hearing people? Or any other financing ideas? (Yes, work is one, but that is not what I'm talking about here.) :)

Thanks for your ideas.

I know there are a lot of scholarships and grants coming from NTID/RIT but not sure how those apply to Canadians (based on ur location, I assume u are).

You should contact their financial aid office and they can provide you with more information and assistance. NTID tuition is really low, so I doubt it would be much of a problem for your VR to pay a majority of it.

Nope, I'm American. Just below Canada.

Thanks for your helpful reply. :)

Tuition at my college as an in-state resident is about $3,400 for two semesters, 30 credit hours total.

At NTID, even with Deaf/HOH discount, it is $11,583, yearly. This is for a quarterly set up rather than semester-based.

But still, that's a big difference.

I'm not sure I can make this work without taking on debt, and it's really not worth it for me to do that.

I've got a workable situation and four semesters left, including this semester. Then I've got my degree and I'm working in IT, hopefully.

NTID would be awesome to experience, but I'm not going to go in the hole for that... unfortunately. :(

Tuition at my college as an in-state resident is about $3,400 for two semesters, 30 credit hours total.

At NTID, even with Deaf/HOH discount, it is $11,583, yearly. This is for a quarterly set up rather than semester-based.

I'm not sure I can make this work without taking on debt, and it's really not worth it for me to do that.

I've got a workable situation and four semesters left, including this semester. Then I've got my degree and I'm working in IT, hopefully.

NTID would be awesome to experience, but I'm not going to go in the hole for that... unfortunately. :(

On the other hand DeafBadger, I wonder if you could argue that ASL fluent/Deaf community would mean a much better chance for a job. Trust me....it is SUPER hard to find a job cold calling when you're Hoh. I have been trying to find a job for over 5 years....Absolutly NO LUCK!

You got that right. Yep, it's economy issue.

Actually, I was a NTID student. I learned and I would say 70 percent graduated students did not get a job. You should not believe in NTID or RIT newsletters saying that graduated students were successful. That was a temporary job and especially lack of communication with their boss later in a few months and then they got layoff. I bet that it is same thing for Gallaudet students no matter what.

A community college should be fine... as long as you have the interpreters. It's the law for most community colleges to provide the interpreters. No question about it.

You got that right. Yep, it's economy issue.

Actually, I was a NTID student. I learned and I would say 70 percent graduated students did not get a job. You should not believe in NTID or RIT newsletters saying that graduated students were successful. That was a temporary job and especially lack of communication with their boss later in a few months and then they got layoff. I bet that it is same thing for Gallaudet students no matter what.

A community college should be fine... as long as you have the interpreters. It's the law for most community colleges to provide the interpreters. No question about it.
hmmm....actually DeafBadger are there any colleges near you that have a strong dhh population? I wonder too, maybe you could move to a college that has a strong dhh population.

Long term, I will probably be self-employed or an investor. I don't want to work in corporate for decades (I've worked in corporate already for half a decade and I hate it).

I'm going into IT because it tends to pay well if you get into the right jobs. I want save my income for investment capital and retirement capital.

I've known since high school that I need to figure out a way to run my own business if I want to get away from the hearie rules. I didn't call it "hearie rules" then, but that's basically the case.

IT is a way to ramp up my income in the meantime and provide capital for the rest.

I'm under no illusions about the prospect of jobs in the hearing world. My goal is eventually to create my own job, in a sense.

hmmm....actually DeafBadger are there any colleges near you that have a strong dhh population? I wonder too, maybe you could move to a college that has a strong dhh population.

That's an interesting thought. I have no idea. I'll look into that.

Back