Financial help for cochlear implants?

mimimama

Reaction score
My husband got laid off earlier in the year and was not working for two months so we qualified for medicaid and then after he went back we no longer met the financial criteria, but they said we had transitional so Whoo hoo I was going to get a cochlear. Was to see the surgeon on August 1st and just got a letter stating that our transitional medicaid was cancelled and ends on July 31. Ain't that a bitch! Thought we were supposed to have it for a year turns out just three months. So my question is, is there anywhere that helps you pay for cochlears? I was fine with not having one before but finally made the big decision to go ahead with it and this happens. Very depressing! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you are not working, and the resource income is way less than 2,000 a month then you may try to apply for SSI. If you have worked before and paid ss taxes then can try to apply for Disability benefit at Social security adm. So that way the medicaid will come back unless you both make more than 2000 then medicaid would not cover it. However medicare, if you are on SS disability benefit then medicare will become to cover it within 2 yrs later after applied for the ss beenfits.

I have no way of knowing another way of getting $$ for a CI.

Thanks, I applied for ssdi and should be hearing back anytime now if I qualify or not, I do not work now and my husband makes too much money for ssi. Really sucks, I can see why alot of people choose to not work because frankly if my husband made just 2000 less a year we would be on medicaid and foodstamps and prolly ssi, not to mention saving tons of money on gas. It is bullshit.

Was looking at the hospital site and they have a financial aid/charity department that bases your bills on your income if you have no other insurance so I am going to check that out! Only thing I see though is it has to be a medical necessity, not sure if a cochlear would be deemed a necessity.

Thanks, I applied for ssdi and should be hearing back anytime now if I qualify or not, I do not work now and my husband makes too much money for ssi. Really sucks, I can see why alot of people choose to not work because frankly if my husband made just 2000 less a year we would be on medicaid and foodstamps and prolly ssi, not to mention saving tons of money on gas. It is bullshit.

yeah. however you mentioned that your husband got laid off so you still need to re contact with SSA and have them to look at your resource to be sure 2,000 max.

I am sorry about your husband. =/

Thanks, we didn't apply for ssdi or ssi until after he went back to work. Is it 2000 he can make a month or more than that with allowances? Because it is only a few hundred more than that a month. Haven't heard anything on ssi either. We applied in March. I know it takes a while but seems like forever when your broke! lol

Just be aware SSA will look up at an individual must have resources (cash, money in the bank etc) under $2000. For the Income depends- it is a little more tricky. It is the best thing is to show up the SS office and find out more from there. every individual have different resources.

Ask the hospital if they have a social worker who can help you. The hospital may have a social on staff, or be able to refer you to the approporiate agency.

Back