Financial Aid For College?

dirtbikekidd

Reaction score
I am wondering if there are any type of scholarships or grants of some sort for a deaf person to attend a mainstream college?

I am wondering if there are any type of scholarships or grants of some sort for a deaf person to attend a mainstream college?

Texas has a Deaf tuition waiver where a person with a qualifying level of hearing loss can go to any state-funded school and the state will waive tuition and certain fees. I don't know if any other states have anything like that though.

I am currently working on my masters in Deaf Education using the deaf tuition waiver. :)

Check with the financial aid office at the college. They usually have scholarship offers. It can be simple scholarship request or it could be a project that you do, which in turn earns you a scholarship. It varies.

You will need to fill out your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The government uses a lot of factors to determine how much you could borrow in federal loans, plus colleges use your information to determine how much aid they can give you. If you are going for a first bachelor's degree, you can qualify for a Pell grant.

Additionally, create your profile at FastWeb and scholarships then they will bring up search results for scholarships that fit your background.

If your major is a specific major, you can google for scholarships relating to that major. The webpages for your financial aid office and your major's program might have links to scholarships.

Yes, if you meet the hearing loss limits you can get a full tuition wavier for any public in state (Texas) University. I myself had undergraduate and my postgraduate degree paid for in full. Plus with the help of another agency my books were covered as well.

Check out this link.
http://www.alldeaf.com/register.php?a=act&u=52902&i=7ccdcbb007ea36dd5570f7f35354ff3961389228

Contact this person.

Derek Leeper
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor
DARS Division for Rehabilitation Services
Denton Field Office
116 E. Prairie
Denton,Texas 76201
940-312-7055(V/VP)

Good Luck!

Back