Finally for the date for my CI surgery

Ron, Good luck on your surgery! :)

When I say I have little hearing in my left ear it's very, very little. For example if there was a live rock band I might hear the drums sometimes. If I'm standing next to a lour motor cycle I might pick up a faint hum. But it's so faint I might even be more feeling it rather then hearing it. I scored zero on speech in my hearing test.
So pretty much almost totally deep profound?
Sounds like you're an almost "totally definite" canidate for CI.....which is good.
I would however maybe see an audi who is affilated with a school for the deaf or a Eye and Ear Hoispital.....Ask your audi if it might be worth it to go through trying a hearing aid in that ear. If you haven't been aided in that ear for awhile, there are some new hearing aids that are really responsive to losses previously thought unaidable. I know a girl who had a deep profound loss (wore a body worn aid as a little girl in the 80's) and didn't get any input. Then a couple of years ago she tried a BTE (digital) and was actually getting some speech words!

Ron, Good Luck with your surgery and activation!

My daughter has a Nucleus 5 and is doing fantastic with it.

Sorry to hear that surgery was postponed!! You'll soon have the op and be hearing in no time :)

Surgery should have been today. I hope all went well for you.

I just got home from Surgery about an hour ago. Still feeling a buzz but I'm awake and all went perfectly. I'm surprised I'm awake as much as I am right now. But when I try to talk I need some help. Still feel drunk. LOL

but all is well and everything went great. Thanks so much for the support from everyone.

Ronn

Yay! Now we await to hear the results when you are activated. I am glad you are ok. :)

good to hear! now get well soon! :cool2:

Glad to know you are doing well. Plenty of rest. My hubby went straight to his bed for a several days.

Glad to hear surgery went well.
Four weeks turns into a really long time but if all goes well, you'll be hearing by Christmas and hopefully will be able to hear the New Years Eve count down.
What a great Christmas Gift.

It reminds me of my CI's. December 16, 2006 (Left) and December 15, 2008 (Right).

Glad everything went okay, Ron. I'll be interested to hear your reports on CI as a person who is late deafened. You'll be able to compare the new CI sound to what sound was like before you lost your hearing.

Thank you everyone.

I agree to take it easy and I am as much as I can. I mean I'm not working and I'm staying down. But can't sleep too well so I come on line for something to get my mind off the itching and the oozing. I can't wait till I can take my bandage off today for the first time. They said to wait 24 hours so that'll be about 5pm today. My ear is itching bad. :)

So far no side effects that aren't expected though. Little sore around the cut and some oozing from under the bandage. I'm glad I took my friends advice (Who got a CI last year) and use plenty of extra pillows to keep my head up. My balance is a little off if I move to fast. But like I said. All these things are what they told me to expect.

I'm so happy with the place I got this all done. They've been great. Before surgery they knew I have to read lips so they told me what all to expect before putting those masks on. So I'll publicly share my recommendation to the University of Michigan Health System: Cochlear Implant Program to anyone near by who is researching a good place. They've been great every step of the way.

Thanks again for all the support. I'll keep you updated.

Ron

Hi Ron ... This is Dan up here in Toronto Canada. I'm a 53 yr. old man and I've been lurking on the alldeaf board for a while now but just registered right this minute; this is my very first post (I'll introduce myself properly in a bit).

Been following your posts and comments - congratulations on your recent CI ... but I want to say that I too just had a CI at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto on November 17, only one day before you, and I feel like there is some kind of psychic connection between us, man!

Back