Finally, a great comparison of what hearing thru a CI is like..

Please show me these studies.

here's mine:
An exploratory look at pediatric cochlear implantat... [Ear Hear. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

DESIGN:

Ninety-six children with congenital profound sensorineural hearing loss bilaterally and no additional identified disabilities who were implanted before the age of 4 yrs were stratified into four groups based on age at implantation. Children's spoken language development was followed for at least 2 yrs after device activation. Spoken language scores and rate of development were evaluated along with four covariates (unaided pure-tone average, communication mode, gender, and estimated family income) as a function of age at implantation.

RESULTS:
In general, the developmental trajectories of children implanted earlier were significantly better than those of children implanted later. However, the advantage of implanting children before 1-yr old versus waiting until the child was between 1 and 2 yrs was small and only was evident in receptive language development, not expressive language or word recognition development. Age at implantation did not significantly influence the rate of the word recognition development, but did influence the rate of both receptive and expressive language acquisition: children implanted earlier in life had faster rates of spoken language acquisition than children implanted later in life.

CONCLUSIONS:

Further, oral language development progressed faster in children implanted earlier rather than later in of life (up to age 4 yrs),

this, in pdf, you'll need to open but it's well worth it
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...v4rWiuSRQWO50i0TQ&sig2=l99f18wlJUMCnrMXrXgq-w

No, I am not against implanting late, but I do believe the earlier the better - no contest.

As for the paragraphs and whatever,
I was merely trying to explain to Bebonag how she misunderstood the words "successful" and the context it was used in.

What is Context
discourse that surrounds a language unit and helps to determine its interpretation

also, I tried to explain why earlier is better.

Hope that clarify things for you, Bottesini.

Fuzzy

http://www.psychology.uiowa.edu/classes/31118/exam/ci-ouellet.pdf

There's quite a bit in here about how the whole auditory process works, and how different parts of the brain respond, but still have basically the same result, depending upon age at implantation.

so this would be like.. a person that can read Norwegian but never heard it spoken moved to Norway and immersed themselves in the language. Over time they would be able to understand the cadences of the language and pick out the words. Eventually becoming comfortable with this language but it might never be like their native language. (unless the person was very young when beginning to learn the language) ?

Eh.....yes and no.

Your brain has a limited timetable for language development. The most critical period is from birth to about 2 years old, if I remember from the info I read. The brain wires itself based on what is heard and what you see, once it develops those connections, any new information is "extended" from those regions. Once you hit adulthood, the learning process is slowed down dramatically.

(This is true for blind people as well, if they suddenly see everything after being blind since birth, they will not know what they are seeing until much time later)

Having those regions will be a big help for those that are hearing new sounds. I did not hear low frequency hums until about a year after getting the CI activated. Same thing goes for other sounds.

The only thing similar to learning a new language would be the memorization process....if you memorize what sounds you hear, it will help you identify what you are hearing....just like if you memorize how the Norges pronounce words and how they use those words, you will understand their language better. The longer you immerse yourself into studying what you hear, the more you will know what you are hearing.

I spoken to Audiogist said hearing loss, I believe Hearing loss once, I am very serious

It is doesn't work,impossibles, I doubt Hearing loss look pretty ! I already spoken to Audiogist! I am doubt!

I spoken to Audiogist said hearing loss, I believe Hearing loss once, I am very serious

It is doesn't work,impossibles, I doubt Hearing loss look pretty ! I already spoken to Audiogist! I am doubt!

You mean the audiologist said you have more hearing loss now?

You mean the audiologist said you have more hearing loss now?

I am surprised, It is doesn't work, audiogist, I speak to Audiogist , I spoken to hearing Aid increase volume

they can't adjust can't impossible

I had hearing loss!
I am not understand, Increase to volume limits stranger I today test it didn't work successfully!

Don't forget that listening to music will never be the same for those that have a memory of particular songs/artists.

Actually, it is the same... at least for me as well as quite a few others I know who are post lingual. It is unpredictable, but it does happen. I use songs I rememeber fully from prior to losing my hearing as benchmarks. It was so thrilling to hear them correctly again! I am also able to listen to anything, new and known.

Actually, it is the same... at least for me as well as quite a few others I know who are post lingual. It is unpredictable, but it does happen. I use songs I rememeber fully from prior to losing my hearing as benchmarks. It was so thrilling to hear them correctly again! I am also able to listen to anything, new and known.

I'm happy your experience was much better than the guy from the article.

I'm happy your experience was much better than the guy from the article.

Mr. Lee is a new implantee. Everything in that article describes the experience of a new implantee and not how sound is experienced after the brain figures it all out.

If you get implanted as a baby -born deaf - it is highly guaranteed you will hear like a hearing person does,
If implanted kids hear like hearing people, then how come there were CI MEMs in development that would hopefully make the sound quality more like what a hearing person hears?

Yeah, it's very important to hear every single drop of pee dropping in the toilet.

I think you are mistaken in the purpose of a CI. It has nothing to do with "every drop of pee in the toilet". In my opinion that is a very flippant, inappropriate response to a serious topic. It isn't something to be taken lightly.

Yeah, Its like trying to balance the federal budget by cutting PBS funding which is 0.01% of the federal budget. Or my comparison of trying to make room in your walk-in closet by removing a sock..

There were some psudo simulation recording floating around the net but most are way to generous in the quality and clarity of the sound..

Yeah, Its like trying to balance the federal budget by cutting PBS funding which is 0.01% of the federal budget. Or my comparison of trying to make room in your walk-in closet by removing a sock..

There were some psudo simulation recording floating around the net but most are way to generous in the quality and clarity of the sound..

And you know this how? When were you implanted and for how long did you have normal hearing to have a frame of reference?

Last edited:
Back