Filmmaker

michaelmiz

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a student Filmmaker currently working on my junior production. The main character is a deaf spy. I was hoping someone could help me out and give me some ideas of how a deaf person might use their heightened senses to help them navigate through an apartment in witch they where trying to gather information from. Thank you!

The main thing is EYESIGHT. I have a knack for finding things wherever they may be. (kind of like, Where's Waldo). Another thing, although it may be very hard to capture in film, is the sense of touch. I can feel vibrations a lot better than a normal hearing person. For example, when you shut the door, it creates a vibration in the floor.. I think sometimes it just ends up being attributed to intuition; my niece can't really sneak up from behind me.

Maybe using his sense of touch to find an odd, very slight vibration where it shouldn't be.

Or turning his hearing aid on and off to compare sounds and locate something. And the sound could come from something ordinary that hearing people hear, but the sound sounds different to the spy, because he is deaf/hoh. (Many deaf people can still hear something.)

You could put sounds in the video as it would sound to a deaf/hoh person.

Say someone talks to him. You could play sounds as it would sound to him, not to a hearing person.

Play sounds with the hearing aid (still not as a hearing person would hear)

Play sounds without the hearing aid.

Or just go all silent if you want to.

The uncanny ability to read lips from a far would be a good one to put in there too. I can eavesdrop on people and read lips from a distance but it's not 100% accurate.

Some of us are almost human lie detectors because we're so good at reading body language ( at least I am ) :)

Hope it's a good film...
Kinda, hoping (praying) you're not really a student film maker and are actually a big name in hollywood.

It'd be awesome if that were the case and a big budget movie came out with a Deaf Spy. :)

I'm dreaming of course so...later!

I would like to see a WWII film with nothing but deaf actors and actresses. Like the whole world is deaf. And on a military base, there's a poster on the wall that says... "Loose hands sink ships." ;)

Back