Feelings on Cochlear implants

I mean so they can feel normal. Who likes to feel alone????

I mean so they can feel normal. Who likes to feel alone????

Iam with u on that. Being mainstreamed as the only deaf student growing up, I had to deal with loneliness. It is no fun. Grrrr!

Going back to the military aspect of this thread. I saw a documentary, and read an artilce abou thearing loss and the military. There was some interesting info. In the modern high-tech based era of combat we are currently in, one of the most common solider injures are hearing related. Most of the ultra hi-tech, super fast munitions are very destructive to the ear. When you are around alot of the rocket powered missles (some of which are shoulder fired, the db level of the rocket is so loud and strong, they cause permanent hearing loss.
Imagine standing on the deck of a Naval ship when one of those missiles are launched!
The military is having a very hard time creating hearing protecion that can give effective protection. Apparently, the level of noise is so high, the even if you could protect the inner ear from the noise, the cochlea still gets damaged due to the sound wave travelling through your body.
The modern battle field is incredibly loud, and very unforgiving to the human ear.
Hell, I have a slight hearing loss from my time in the army. I notice a loss in my right ear. I would bet money that it was caused by driving the armored vehicle designed for my job. While sittign in the drivers hatch, the huge deisel engine is running only about 12 to 18 inches from your head, with only a thin wall made of aluminum to seperate you. You could wear ear plugs, but then you cannot hear radio traffic.
Other things that probably added to my slight hearing loss was also due to my specific job. I was a forward observer (I went out to fing the enemy, when I found them, I would call fire missions on them. This involved field artillery (cannons) close air support (f-16 fighters and a-10 attack aircraft). In order to do my job, I had to sometimes be pretty close to artillery shells impacting on the target. When round hit close enough to shake the ground you are laying on, its pretty damn loud. Also, the required manner to call fire for an F-16 required the jet to fly directly above my head, usually at treetop level. Think about this, when the jet is idling, and launching, everyone around has hearing protection. But when it flew over me (haulin serious ass), I didnt have the luxury of ear plugs. My ears would usually ring for hours after that happened.
Sorry, back on topic...
The article I read was also discussing the future of the soliders that had unreversible hearing damage, that thier only hope for regaining thier hearing, would be to give the soliders a CI.

DD, it is almost impossilbe to have an across the board standard. I work in a middle school and hear alot about standards and so forth. But when you get into private ed programs, it pretty much all bets off.
Oh agreed.............but I mean there's no reason whatsoever that you can't have an across the board standard for public school kids. And besides, we're talking about early intervention. Plus, I mean maybe it might be helpful for those private school kids to be dually enrolled in both the private school program, and the public EI program. I know off the top of my head, that private school students can take advantage of disablity/special needs resouces at the public schools.
I think the public schools SHOULD have an across the board standard for sped EI.

Back