Feel like in throwing gang signs

Kassye

Reaction score
So I'm learning ASL. I have 20% hearing in my left ear. At 85% in my right. It's been getting worse lately. So I have been trying to learn ASL.

Was practicing today on dart train. Saw a bunch of people staring at me. Felt like I was throwing up gang signs.

I love this language already.

Sent from my LG-H631 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Only 20 minutes from hearing to significant hearing loss.

That's got to be a record...

I don't like to call myself hard of hearing. I don't read lips. I can hear for the most part. If I don't catch something I'll fill in the blanks. Or ask you to repeat it.

Only 20 minutes from hearing to significant hearing loss.

That's got to be a record...

I don't like to call myself hard of hearing. I don't read lips. I can hear for the most part. If I don't catch something I'll fill in the blanks. Or ask you to repeat it.

Let's get you up and running on terminology and a pinch of encouragement:
Read lips = Speech Reading
It is okay to say you are hard of hearing (HH) as that covers much territory and can mean much too much. So, in your case, it is okay to use that description for yourself. There is nothing wrong with its use (many people as they age, will lose some hearing, so it happens to many (my father was one of those--and was most frustrating since he refused to learn sigh, and ALS was often my best means of communication, but, also, I rely heavily on Speech Reading to "fill in the blanks").
When you get to about the 3rd level of ASL, you will encounter compound signs (e.g. "know-that") which will open up the world of communication even more.
Most people as they start to learn communication, start off with finger-spelling, then add ASL signs.) I think you will find that many people are forgiving of your mistakes and many will be helpful (my best friend says he taught everyone around him, sign so they could take with him--which is fairly true for a lad who was the only deaf person in the town.) Like anyone who is learning, there are levels of fluency (I have the communication skills of about a 12-year old, so I can't really hold a detailed conversation, but I can communicate--I came to ASL late as there was nothing available near where I lived.
Remember to have fun....

You probably would be better understood if you did use hard of hearing.

You could say moderately if you want people to know that you can hear somewhat.

I have a technically "mild" peripheral loss and auditory processing issues. I call myself hard of hearing so people might know that I miss some things, especially if acoustics are certain ways or people turn/walk away.

Back