Feedback on this?

jillio, as you know, you do the best for your clients.

Don't you hate that nagging feeling at your sub-conscious although you know you did the right thing? Each of us always needs that extra reassuring although you've been trained in this field, there will be days when you have that nagging feeling.

Yes, I do hate that nagging feeling!:giggle: Exactly why I decided to run this situation through you guys! Things like this tend to follow me home and repeat in my mind, "Could I have done something differently to get an even better outcome?"

Oh, well. All any of us can do is our best. Sometimes it is hard to accept that.

You and me!

I give workshops and lectures too as well.

I used to have a habit of videotaping myself to make sure I didn't miss anything vital during the workshops or lectures. If they were a whole day workshop, I wouldn't worry as I followed an agenda but if it was like 3 hours, I'd freak out if I missed an important topic.

Off topic, I lecture/give workshops about DeafBlindhood and Usherhood & the societal expectations of the DeafBlind community.

You and me!

I used to have a habit of videotaping myself to make sure I didn't miss anything vital during the workshops or lectures. If they were a whole day workshop, I wouldn't worry as I followed an agenda but if it was like 3 hours, I'd freak out if I missed an important topic.

Off topic, I lecture/give workshops about DeafBlindhood and Usherhood & the societal expectations of the DeafBlind community.

I truly admire the degree to which you are involved in education and advocacy. I would love to have the opportunity to attend one of your workshops, as DeafBlind issues are not my strongest area.

You and me!

Can you recommend any sites to learn about these?

I encourage you to check out my YouTube account - DBadvocate

There's a lot of ASL vlogs about ASL, the importance of bilingualism, Deafhood, DeafBlindhood and so on.

I encourage you to check out my YouTube account - DBadvocate

There's a lot of ASL vlogs about ASL, the importance of bilingualism, Deafhood, DeafBlindhood and so on.

:ty:
One thing, though, girlie: I know you have a glow nowadays but your films need more light! ;)

Jillio, you handled the situation perfectly. I like how the client is in charge of the healing process. The client should get to decide whether to continue with the current therapist and an qualified interpreter or whether to change to a therapist who is part of the Deaf community. That's what I would prefer, too.

Jillio,
I believe you did the right thing in this situation. Had I been the client, I likely would have requested to have my files transferred to you knowing a third party would no longer need to be involved. The information shared between client and therapist is to remain confidential. If a third party interpreter is involved there's the chance that terp might go run their mouth about the therapy session. I personally would like it as a one-on-one conversation/session.

Jillio, you handled the situation perfectly. I like how the client is in charge of the healing process. The client should get to decide whether to continue with the current therapist and an qualified interpreter or whether to change to a therapist who is part of the Deaf community. That's what I would prefer, too.

Thank you, sally lou. And Dixie, too. In this case, I handled the situation as I believed to be in the best interest of the client. I guess I just needed feedback from the deaf as to whether I believed the correct thing. That way, should this situation occur again, I can be sure that I am handling it the way the Deaf/deaf would prefer it to be handled.

Jillio - I had stayed quiet about this, but I too feel you did the right thing. I know in the office I worked at in Missouri, we were faced with the same type of issue and it was handled just like you did. The client was very happy with the outcome and continued with her treatment and did quite well. That office still basically uses an outside Interpreter service, but there are times when a client will ask if there is a therapist who knows ASL as they didn't trust the terps with the private info. These were mainly clients who were well known in the area and high profile people.

Jillio - I had stayed quiet about this, but I too feel you did the right thing. I know in the office I worked at in Missouri, we were faced with the same type of issue and it was handled just like you did. The client was very happy with the outcome and continued with her treatment and did quite well. That office still basically uses an outside Interpreter service, but there are times when a client will ask if there is a therapist who knows ASL as they didn't trust the terps with the private info. These were mainly clients who were well known in the area and high profile people.
good observation

Back