FedEx To Pay $108,000 In Damages In Disability Suit

Rose Immortal

Reaction score
FedEx To Pay $108,000 In Damages In Disability Suit

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES
March 2, 2006 5:28 p.m.

--

FedEx Corp. (FDX) must pay $108,000 in damages after a federal jury found in favor of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in an employment discrimination suit against the package delivery giant, the EEOC said.

The commission had charged FedEx with violating the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, in alleging the Memphis company failed to provide a "reasonable accommodation" to Ronald Lockhart, a deaf employee who worked as a package handler in Baltimore.

The suit was filed in District Court for the Northern District of Maryland in September 2004.

A representative for FedEx wasn't immediately able to comment on the court's ruling.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20060302-010239.html?mod=COMPANY

----

Anybody have any idea exactly what happened here?

This is the first time I've seen anything about the discrimination suit...It's indeed of interest as to how this was implemented in the first place. Although, with a second job I had worked at 'another' well known 'package/mail' place and I could assume within reasonable doubt that perhaps when working at a line where boxes are being moved on a conveyor and along with the pace known to be hectic and frantic to meet timely deadlines...it's perhaps possible that the amount of frustrations with attempts to get this deaf worker's attention reached to a point that the worker was either released or placed elsewhere and not being commensurated with benefits/pay as the position the worker once had--.

I understand it's premature to possibly think that this is what happened, yet, could be easy to assume...until the full story is told...have no idea what happened. :dunno:

Back