Fcc plan cut vrs

Do something about this, there are greater chance that FCC hears and realizes the importances of VRS to you. The better chance VRS will survive so is my job.

---OR---

Do nothing, FCC heard nothing assumes that you are happy, so whats point of keeping rate? Cut it! BAM VRS went South. Reaction could be devasated... Want change mind? Wait til next year to appeal but hey! Its too late.

Which one is best approach? You decide, and I hope you the Deaf community makes our ASL (As if voice) HEARD!

VRS is not a welfare program for employing deaf people. If Sorenson, Purple, CSDVRS, SprintVRS, ConvoVRS, whomever, decide their profits will suffer if they don't cut back on employees with this new rate, then that is their decision. They can simply choose to have less profit. So don't go telling us that it's the FCC's fault if those companies lay off people. The FCC has seen their costs and knows exactly how much profit these companies are making. Millions!

There will still be advances in accessible technology and interpreters will still find jobs. Sorenson will still give away free VPs because that's how they make their money. Communities may actually be able to get interpreters for community usage again.

The only people who benefit from having deaf community members in fear of the proposed rate reductions are the VRS companies. Everyone else loses. So don't buy into the VRS companies' spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Wirelessly posted

Wouldn't it be cheaper to keep the Deaf employed within the VRS industry than to have them fall back on SSI/SSDI?

Just saying...

Wirelessly posted

Wouldn't it be cheaper to keep the Deaf employed within the VRS industry than to have them fall back on SSI/SSDI?

Just saying...

Are you saying that people like diehardbiker would be on SSI if they weren't working for Sorenson? That sounds kind of insulting. I would've thought people would have skills to do other jobs that are out there. Technical and teaching skills are quite transferable. VRS is just one tiny industry out of bazillions.

That also assumes that these certified VRS companies (which are all run by hearing people) aren't pocketing all the profit in the first place! So the company employs a small number of deaf people... and fleeces the government for millions? Is that really better than the alternatives that are out there for deaf people? Deaf people only deserve a token job in exchange for hearing people being richer?

VRS is not a welfare program for employing deaf people. If Sorenson, Purple, CSDVRS, SprintVRS, ConvoVRS, whomever, decide their profits will suffer if they don't cut back on employees with this new rate, then that is their decision. They can simply choose to have less profit. So don't go telling us that it's the FCC's fault if those companies lay off people. The FCC has seen their costs and knows exactly how much profit these companies are making. Millions!

There will still be advances in accessible technology and interpreters will still find jobs. Sorenson will still give away free VPs because that's how they make their money. Communities may actually be able to get interpreters for community usage again.

The only people who benefit from having deaf community members in fear of the proposed rate reductions are the VRS companies. Everyone else loses. So don't buy into the VRS companies' spreading fear, uncertainty and doubt.

I wish I was as optimistic as you.

ok - since diehard biker works for sorenson, chevy57 for purple, how about providing some hard facts ? so far we have a copy and paste info from facebook about cost. right now VRS is getting 6 bucks a min to less then 4 bucks and min. If vrs has 1 call 24 hrs around clock: thats 6 bucks a min $360 bucks an hour for $8640 a day. now multiply that by how many calls a day? If FCC reduce the rate, it becomes $5601 bucks for 24 hours for one call 24hours a day times how many calls?

This tells you they are used to getting thousands of dollars a day, and now they could lose 3k for each 24hrs times how many calls for VRS calls .Granted my numbers are not reality as calls has peaks and dips over 24 hrs during week. Its just a drawing a picture and concept of how this is scaring the VRS companies. They have gotten used to spending all the money they make, havent made any real cuts, only providing small updates in features for making money so it looks like progress over time instead all at once, with recent VRS fraud in history books- I can understand FCC feelings.

However, looking at the big picture- it can be a scary future with no VRS if this is the real picture VRS's is painting for us.

SO whats real, and whats not. The private VRS havent showed the percentage of money actually spent on what ?!

Alright, Purple no longer to use all independent contractors as mine last few month ago. They told them to look for other jobs. I had worked at part time job for Purple. I have other full-time job. No funds for deaf employees. FCC reimburses for VRS minutes only.

The truth about VRS take a look at this information

Kevin Martin, Commissioner and Chairman of the FCC statement last November 2008:
Telecommunications Relay Fund. Martin is accused of lax oversight, paying too much to telecoms for providing services to hearing-impaired phone users, and permitting an "unjustified rate increase" that cost US consumers up to $100 million more a year. Rates for the video relay service (VRS), in particular, are now so high that some for-profit companies exist simply to provide the services and collect their cash from the FCC. Though warned repeatedly that that the program "has becomes a classic fleecing of America," Martin did nothing to stop the massive compensation.

When the main VRS provider, Sorenson, was to be audited by the FCC, the company simply refused to allow the auditors access, and the audit was never done. The much smaller companies that were eventually audited turned out to have serious problems. Why did Martin do nothing despite warnings from his own staff? The report doesn't offer a reason, though it does demand an immediate audit of Sorenson and a Government Accountability Office audit of the entire TRS program.
Read more: Kevin Martins Abuse Of Power - The Tech Observer - Portfolio.com

http://energycommerce.house.gov/ima...Newsroom/fcc majority staff report 081209.pdf

The truth about VRS take a look at this information

Kevin Martin, Commissioner and Chairman of the FCC statement last November 2008:

Read more: Kevin Martins Abuse Of Power - The Tech Observer - Portfolio.com

http://energycommerce.house.gov/ima...Newsroom/fcc majority staff report 081209.pdf

Official response from Sorenson Consumer Policy Board, for VRS consumers.

Sorenson Communications participated in the Inspector General/KPMG audit of TRS providers. While Sorenson expressed concern to the Inspector General and KPMG about the confidential treatment of financial information provided in the audit, and objected strenuously when the financial information of another provider was mistakenly published on the FCC’s website, Sorenson continued to participate in the audit. The KPMG auditors were expected at Sorenson’s headquarters on June 16, 2008 for the purpose of auditing the reporting system used by Sorenson for VRS minutes; Sorenson employees had prepared the information the auditors requested to review; and Sorenson employees were assembled ready to assist the auditors. As the attached letter describes, the KPMG auditors never arrived at Sorenson headquarters. Sorenson is proud of its system of reporting minutes of use of VRS to NECA and remains ready to cooperate with an audit.

Ed’s Telecom Alert Allegations Against FCC Chair Martin

We will see how happy Deaf people will be to pay for videophones and a monthly VRS services in order to do business and talk to friends and family over the phone.

We will see how happy Deaf people will be to pay for videophones and a monthly VRS services in order to do business and talk to friends and family over the phone.

I agree with SwooshOU. Deaf people in some countries have paid for VRS services. No more free videophones. Hearing relatives and friends who know ASL and no needing to use VRS. They want to buy Sorenson VP but Sorenson refuse to sell. B...S to them.

I agree with SwooshOU. Deaf people in some countries have paid for VRS services. No more free videophones. Hearing relatives and friends who know ASL and no needing to use VRS. They want to buy Sorenson VP but Sorenson refuse to sell. B...S to them.

The FCC expects Sorenson to do business for $3.89 for every minute interpreted.

At that rate, if I talk to my Deaf dad for 5 minutes, the conversation will cost $19.45. Nearly $20 for a 5 minute conversation! That's something he can't afford.

You used my vlog without my permission

Hey who gave you the permission to use my vlog into your post???? If I want to post this vlog, I will put it in alldeaf.com my MYSELF, not you!
People have their rights to pick any vrs service they want.
Like I said, you all can call the CIR and ask them if the rumors is true or not.
REMOVE MY VLOG OUT OF YOUR POST!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks....:ty:

Hey who gave you the permission to use my vlog into your post???? If I want to post this vlog, I will put it in alldeaf.com my MYSELF, not you!
Like I said, you all can call the CIR and ask them if the rumors is true or not.

Sure, I don't know you to join our AD. I now remove out your vlog. You can remove out my quote (your vlog)

MOD, You may remove out sw33t7ady's post. Thanks

Wirelessly posted

sw33t7ady said:
Chevy57 said:

No offence, but if you didn't want people reposting it, you should had set the video to "private."

When you upload a video to a site like YouTube, you're voluntarily giving up the rights to distribute; the video belongs to YouTube, although you still retain creative copyrights. It's in their Terms of Services.

Last edited:
wirelessly posted

no offence, but if you didn't want people reposting it, you should had set the video to "private."

when you upload a video to a site like youtube, you're voluntarily giving up the rights to distribute; the video belongs to youtube, although you still retain creative copyrights. It's in their terms of services.

+1

Wirelessly posted

No offence, but if you didn't want people reposting it, you should had set the video to "private."

When you upload a video to a site like YouTube, you're voluntarily giving up the rights to distribute; the video belongs to YouTube, although you still retain creative copyrights. It's in their Terms of Services.

I agree with Souggy. Her YouTube is not private. NP

If VRS providers can't afford to keep their internet infrastructure up and running, they will have to charge Deaf people a monthly fee to keep it running.

Really? Why should you get it for free? Hearing people pay for their phone bills and YOUR service which most have never used.

It's ALWAYS about FREE FREE FREE.

Seriously, I just cannot believe how spoiled you deaf people are.

Many Deafies have to pay High Speed Internet Service, which is required in order to use VRS how can this be free?

Many hearing people pay landline phone as if functionality equilvent would cost them 40 dollars a month, about the same as what Deafies are paying.

No VRS providers pay for High Speed Internet service on Customer side.

Really? Why should you get it for free? Hearing people pay for their phone bills and YOUR service which most have never used.

It's ALWAYS about FREE FREE FREE.

Seriously, I just cannot believe how spoiled you deaf people are.

Many Deafies have to pay High Speed Internet Service, which is required in order to use VRS how can this be free?

Many hearing people pay landline phone as if functionality equilvent would cost them 40 dollars a month, about the same as what Deafies are paying.

No VRS providers pay for High Speed Internet service on Customer side.

Oh? Let's see - hearing people pay for Internet too... and they also pay for phone. So your point is?

Hearing people do not pay High speed Internet to talk on phone.

In order for Deaf person to make a VRS call, High Speed Internet is required.

Don't you know that many hearing people with low income can get telephone line at reduced price, why not cut that off too?

Also, hearing people do not need any accomodation to make any regular calls, therefore there is zero cost to them. For Deaf people, they required an accomodation to make any calls to hearing person, therefore it cost money, should just Deaf people fork the cost so that Hearing people can talk with them without paying a cent? Taxes were meant to collected so that BOTH hearing and Deaf people share the cost of accomodation need as required by ADA law that set back in 1991.

Oh? Let's see - hearing people pay for Internet too... and they also pay for phone. So your point is?

Hearing people do not pay High speed Internet to talk on phone.

That's why they pay for PHONE services! You don't unless you pay for phone services like SK or iPhone.

Sounds functionally equal to me.

In order for Deaf person to make a VRS call, High Speed Internet is required.

Just like hearing people have to pay for phone services. Some deaf people don't have phone services at all - it's just data only.

Don't you know that many hearing people with low income can get telephone line at reduced price, why not cut that off too?

And they get less features.

Back