FBI Warrants against two VRS companies and other companies

This is not the fastest way to get an interpreter. When you hang up, you are sent to "the back of the line" again. So that just means the person who dialed after you will instead get your place.

The ony time you want to hang up is if you have technical problems, like somehow your internet connection got disrupted but your VP kept an unstable connection to VRS.

That's actually where you are wrong. The moment I hang up after waiting over 2 mins, called again and got answered faster than I expected. (10 secs-)

This happed in my community, infact I have recently met one of the men accused. As of right it is only accusations and from my understanding he has not been formally indicted. Many people believe he is an outstanding person and friend. I think too often people point fingers before the truth is found. If the accusations are true then I will accept it but be sad because so many friends know and trust. Remember they are innocent until found quilty by a court of law until then only God knows and I hope and pray for the best!

Snap!VRS video "We will always do VRS the right way."

We will always do VRS the right way - SnapVRS Video

Snap!VRS reacted to the recent enforcement activity against certain companies and individuals for their fraudulent use of relay services to generate revenue by describing its own continued commitment to unquestionably clean and honest business practices in the provision of video relay services to consumers. To be clear, Snap!VRS was not in any way involved in the recent enforcement activity.

"From the beginning, Snap!VRS has maintained the highest and strictest ethical standards in providing consumers with superior quality video interpreting and innovative products," said President and Chief Executive Officer Tom Kielty.

"At Snap!VRS, we are willing to grow our business at a steadier pace for the sake of providing our customers with a conscientious brand of video relay services," Kielty continued. "We are pleased that relay consumers have widely recognized Snap!VRS' principled approach and we are now thriving because of it."

"We understand that video relay service is a civil right that belongs to consumers. Our interests lie more in a desire to uphold the long term health of relay services, a responsibility to be a good citizen in the deaf and hard of hearing community, and a high level of support for the FCC to continue its focus on progressing relay services to ensure that it is available and accessible to everyone who needs to use it," Kielty said.

"Snap!VRS adheres to legitimate and ethical business practices and has many processes and policies in place to make sure that these standards are kept," said Jeff Rosen, Snap!VRS' General Counsel. "We review every operating plan and policy for compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, and always choose the most judicious route out of respect for our obligations to the community of relay users. Snap!VRS also works closely with its call centers and video interpreters in establishing extensive policies and training to maintain high integrity and strong compliance with FCC requirements in the provision of video relay interpreting."

Snap!VRS is dedicated to doing business according to the following ethical principles:

* All calls are legitimate and organic video relay calls originated by consumers and not manufactured by the provider for the sake of creating additional revenue.
* All customers are treated equally with no preference for any specific person or location. Calls are connected on a first come, first serve basis.
* Snap!VRS does not provide any financial incentives or rewards for the use of its service.
* Maintaining the privacy and confidentiality of all our customers and the content of their calls is critical for all Snap!VRS video interpreters and employees.
* Employees or representatives of Snap!VRS do not make unnecessary VRS calls and do not extend calls beyond their necessary time.
* Snap!VRS is committed to advocating with the deaf and hard of hearing community in promoting their accessibility rights.

Snap!VRS is proud to have led the way with an ethical and successful business model which focuses on being ready and available whenever consumers chooses to make a relay call. Consumers can help preserve and protect the integrity of their relay services by choosing to only make their calls through VRS providers they know are doing business the right way.

:hmm: I wonder what VRS companies they are... whatever they are...they are dirty.

Rockville firm worked with arrested execs

Friday, July 24, 2009
Deaf-services company targeted in federal probe had partnered with Florida company also under investigation
by Kevin James Shay | Staff Writer
Viable, a Rockville company that provides services to deaf people and is the subject of a federal investigation, partnered this year with a Florida company whose owners were recently arrested and charged with conspiracy to defraud the federal government.

But a Viable spokesman said in an e-mail this week that Viable no longer does business with the Florida company.

An affidavit by an FBI agent filed in a federal court in Florida refers to a Rockville company with a background strikingly similar to that of Viable. The agent said a former employee of the Rockville business told investigators that the company in 2006 and 2007 billed for calls that were not properly interpreted.

Yosbel Buscaron and Lazaro Fernandez, co-owners of Innovative Communication Services for the Deaf, a Miami Lakes, Fla., sign language interpreting company that began a partnership with Viable this year, were arrested in late June, according to court documents.

Buscaron has been released on bond and has not been formally indicted, his attorney, Marcia J. Silvers of Miami, said this week. Fernandez's attorney could not be reached.

The affidavit by FBI special agent Joseph P. Gordon details a "company 2" as announcing in a press release on Feb. 9 a partnership with ICSDeaf "to provide a Spanish language capability" for video relay services, which allows people with hearing disabilities to communicate online using interpreters and Web cameras.

Viable's Web site has a press release dated Feb. 9 that announces the ICSDeaf partnership and quotes Buscaron as saying that ICSDeaf and Viable "share much in common; we both are young, minority-owned companies with a deep passion and commitment to communication access and community empowerment."

But Viable does not now do business with ICSDeaf, Glenn Lockhart, a Viable spokesman, said this week.

The affidavit also identifies "company 2" as being established in 2005, headquartered in Rockville and operating or subcontracting call centers in Rockville, Towson, Baltimore, Austin, Texas, and other cities. Viable was formed in 2005 and has call centers in those cities, according to the company's Web site.

Gordon said an interpreter hired by this company in 2006 in Rockville, who worked there until May 2007, told investigators that calls were made there that were not being interpreted. Some callers told this interpreter that they were friends of one of the company's owners, and one said he was paid $20 an hour to make the "run calls," Gordon said. An hour-long video relay call, based on current government reimbursement rates, would be billed to a fund overseen by the Federal Communications Commission and administered by a nonprofit at the rate of $403.80, Gordon said.

The affidavit also details statements by four former employees of ICSDeaf who worked at that Florida company late last year and early this year. The former employees told investigators that similar "run calls" that were not properly interpreted were made at ICSDeaf during their time there, Gordon said.

Lockhart said in another recent e-mail that federal investigators visited the company's headquarters in June, and the company is "cooperating fully" with investigators. He referred specific questions to company attorney Timothy Sullivan, who did not return calls and e-mails last week and this week seeking further comment.

Sullivan is a partner in the Greenbelt law firm Brennan Sullivan & McKenna, with areas of practice that include white-collar crimes, federal trials, ethics and professional responsibility.

"Viable's priorities remain its customers and employees," Lockhart said. "We are proud to be still providing ViableVRS with 24/7 uptime, enabling deaf and hard of hearing people to make and receive phone calls via our videoconferencing technologies and our talented sign language interpreters."

Ian McCaleb, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of Justice, said Monday he could neither confirm nor deny that Viable was under investigation. He also declined to identify "company 2" in Gordon's affidavit.

Employee contacts state about pay

The employment standards unit of the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation's Division of Labor and Industry received a phone call this week from someone who said he worked for Viable and was not paid lately, said Elizabeth Williams, a department spokeswoman. The person was sent a form to file a complaint, she said.

"An employee has to file a complaint in writing before we can open an investigation," Williams said.

The Division of Labor and Industry recovered $1.24 million in wages owed to Maryland workers in fiscal 2008, more than double the roughly $541,000 the previous fiscal year, according to a department news release. State enforcement efforts to help employees who are owed money have been stepped up in recent years.

Viable's offerings include videoconferencing hardware and software, and video-based and on-site interpreting services. The business has grown from a handful of employees to more than 240, with most workers hearing-impaired. Last year, Viable was named one of The Gazette of Politics and Business' Exceptional 53 businesses and nonprofits.

:shock:

Viable no longer does business with the Florida company?

Hope Viable VRS will survive the difficult times.

Last edited:
What surprised me is Viable is not certified as a VRS company, but still they are able to operate. If the VRS company is not certified, then they should not operate as a VRS company. period. That is my opinion.

True. They provide ASL interpreters for a major VRS provider who is licensed by the FCC to bill the TRS fund. In this case, the main company is CAC.

CAC is what? PAH is hiring lotta of people now.

True. They provide ASL interpreters for a major VRS provider who is licensed by the FCC to bill the TRS fund. In this case, the main company is CAC.

Shame on these companies who chose to participate in fraud. I'm not surprised if the rumors are true- otherwise why would the federal agents be interested in them? They remind me of Bernard Madoff who stole trillions of dollars from innocent investors. What they did actually harmed the deaf community badly, in my honest opinion.

I believe it is totally up to FCC if they chose to desist paying per minute to local video phone companies and forced HOH and deaf people paying for services out of their pockets. How will you guys out there who are using video phone calls all the time feel about paying for the services? Would you be upset if these companies are out there to screw someone's life. Just like people pay for their cell phones, long distance calls, and all types of telephone services.

Honestly, these deaf business owners who created Video phone companies that were caught by fraud scheme. All I can say.. Shame on you and thank you being so greedy because you guys are making our lives much harder than it has to be.

Most VRS companies are owned by hearies. And investors want profit . All the pressure causes some CEOs to do crooked things in the name of greed.

I do hope Yeh can clear his name since he is well respected in the Deaf Community around the Wash DC area.

Well, Yeh is still innocent til proven guilty in Court of Law.

Personally for now, I have nothing to say against or support him. He is a man of character and can fight against charges in his will.

Back