Father charged in girls' deaths

mlkshkgrl

Reaction score
ZION, Illinois (CNN) -- An ex-convict once arrested for chasing neighbors with a chainsaw has been charged with killing his daughter and one of her playmates in a double slaying that stunned their suburban Chicago community.

Jerry Hobbs, 34, could face the death penalty if convicted in the stabbing deaths of 8-year-old Laura Hobbs and her 9-year-old classmate, Krystal Tobias, Lake County State's Attorney Michael Waller said.

Waller declined to state any motive in the case, saying there was no "rational explanation" for the killings.

"We don't know exactly what it was," he said. "But I think it's safe to say that he wasn't probably celebrating Mother's Day the way the rest of us were."

The girls' bodies were found Monday morning in a wooded park just blocks from the elementary school where they were second-grade classmates. They had been stabbed and beaten to death, Lake County Coroner Richard Keller said.

Zion Mayor Lane Harrison said Hobbs moved to town about a month ago.

"I know the community has to be breathing a collective sigh of relief, because they know someone isn't out there laying in wait for other children," he told CNN's "Paula Zahn Now."

About 500 people gathered Tuesday night at a junior high school in Zion to hear about the case from Harrison and other city leaders. Pamphlets on helping children cope with death and grief were available on tables in the gymnasium, and School Superintendent Connie Collins got a standing ovation for the leadership she has shown in the wake of the killings.

"This evening, before you go to bed, get down on your knees and pray to God ... that your children are safe," Harrison told those gathered at the school.

Earlier, Collins told CNN the community was "in terrible shock." (Full story)

"It's very difficult to begin to understand something like this," she said. "It's something that was not expected. In a community like this, we have never had this type of experience."

Zion, population 23,000, is about 40 miles north of Chicago. It had three reported homicides in 2002 and none in 2003, the last year for which police issued an annual report.

Hobbs was released from prison in Texas in April after serving nearly two years for violating probation for an assault charge he had pleaded guilty to in 2002, said Rick Mahler, an assistant district attorney in Wichita Falls, Texas.

The assault charge stemmed from a 2001 altercation with Laura's mother, Sheila Hollabaugh, Mahler said.

"He started chasing people around with a chainsaw that was running," he said. "Somebody hit him with a shovel, knocked him down. Those people held him until the police arrived."

Hobbs was arrested in 2003 after failing to show up for visits with his probation officer and skipping anger management classes. He was sentenced to two years in prison on the probation violation.

He also had served time in county jails on a variety of misdemeanor charges, ranging from assault to possession of marijuana and resisting arrest, Mahler said.

More details could be revealed during a bond hearing scheduled for Wednesday in the Chicago suburb of Waukegan, Waller said. He said police questioned several relatives during the investigation, but the others "didn't pique the officers' interest like he did."

"We believe we have a compelling case against this defendant, and all of that will come out in due course," he said.

Girl 'had a smile for everybody'
Laura's grandmother, Emily Hollabaugh, said her granddaughter was "a typical 8-year-old girl" who "always had a smile for everybody," and Krystal was "just as sweet as Laura was."

Collins said the girls' class had recently touched on the issue of loss.

"Fortunately, in talking with the classroom teacher, she shared with me that the children recently read a couple of books on loss -- 'Charlotte's Web' and 'The Taste of Blackberries,' " Collins said. "The children had an opportunity to discuss feelings and talk about what it meant to lose someone and to share with each other."

The girls were last seen riding bicycles Sunday afternoon. One of the bikes was recovered near the spot where their bodies were found, shortly after 6 a.m. Monday by a man taking a walk in Beulah Park, a spot that neighborhood parents warn children to avoid.

"It's out of sight of many adults who might possibly be around the kids or monitoring them," Collins said. "We try to keep them in the open."

Hollabaugh said the girls were seen playing in the park about 5:30 to 6 p.m. Sunday.

"I know she didn't come home for dinner and we got worried, and her brothers and sisters went out looking for her," Hollabaugh told Chicago television station WLS. "They didn't find her, and then, about 9 o'clock, they called the police."

Zion Police Chief Doug Malcolm said the bodies were found about 100 yards off a bicycle path in a wooded area on the north end of the park.

How sad...I don't understand how people can hurt children. I really cant understand how they can hurt their own child. There have been sooo many children killed in the last few months.

*shaking head* that's plain terrible, these young lives shortened by unlawful means. I only hope he'll get the maximum penalty if he doesn't throw in the insanity defence.

I wish his fate was this
Saeurebad.gif

I heard about this last night, and I'm *smh* in disbelief. Hearing things like this just sicken me to the core of my being. I agree with Reba. This guy deserves a slow, painful and tortorous death. Not just the proverbial "nighty night" shot, and it's all over.

***shake the head*** Oh dear!

I really don´t understand why the parents kill their blood and flesh children. ***shake the head***

:rofl: CCSinned.

I prefer him suffering in the prision REST OF LIFE....

It surprised me to see that sicko man whom murdered his daughter and her playmate for no reasons. I think he deserves death for what he has done to his own child.

I don't understand and it's making me SICK!!! :mad2: I am so pissed at the father who is the charged of killing those innocent girls.

This reminds me of the Susan Smith case (killing your own kids).....it makes me sick. I hope he gets the death penalty.

Once he loses faith...
Next he loses his grip...
And then got angry...

Gotta learn how to control that anger.....

or else be out of control.

That is sad....

I think USA should have a school to
educate some parents on how to be a better parent.

I just read more news on those girls. o man, one girl had her both eyes stabbed. this man need slow toture death.

downing said:
I just read more news on those girls. o man, one girl had her both eyes stabbed. this man need slow toture death.

Have you any link to update?

It's terrible that man hurt little innocent girls... :barf: :mad2:

it was fron cnn.com

Prosecutors: Dad admits killings
Account: Friend tried to defend Hobbs' daughter
Wednesday, May 11, 2005 Posted: 10:44 PM EDT (0244 GMT)

WAUKEGAN, Illinois (CNN) -- An ex-convict has admitted punching, kicking and stabbing to death his 8-year-old daughter and her 9-year-old best friend on Mother's Day, prosecutors in suburban Chicago said.

Jerry Hobbs, 34, was charged Wednesday with two counts of first-degree murder and denied bond, Lake County State's Attorney Michael Waller said.

Hobbs could face the death penalty if convicted.

Prosecutors are calling the killings "a slaughter." Laura Hobbs was stabbed 20 times and Krystal Tobias was stabbed 11 times, they said.

The second-grade classmates were found dead Monday, a day after they were last seen riding their bikes. (Best friends)

Their killings have shaken the town of Zion, about 40 miles north of Chicago.

Hobbs has told authorities he thought his daughter was "having too much latitude as to what she can and can't do," said Jeffrey Pavletic, chief deputy of the Lake County state's attorney's criminal division.

Hobbs said he went to Beulah Park between 4:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday, "looking for Laura to bring her home," Pavletic said.

Hobbs "said that he saw her with Krystal, said that he then confronted Laura and said, 'Come home, you're coming home with me,'" Pavletic said.

"She said she didn't want to. An argument developed. He had then said in his own words that he had punched her twice at least in the face. She went down to the ground. Krystal then came to Laura's rescue. The defendant then stated that he punched her to the ground as well.

"He then stated that during this period of time, Krystal, who was coming to the aid of Laura, had pulled out what he described as a potato knife," Pavletic continued.

"He said that once that potato knife was pulled out, he said that is when he struck Krystal. He then took the knife from her and then repeatedly began to stab both girls in the bodies."

Hobbs was slashed in the neck, abdomen and both eyes. Tobias was stabbed in the neck and abdomen, Pavletic said.

"To get an idea of the type of thrust that was being used, the injuries to Laura's neck actually not only went through tissue but struck in the spinal cord as well."

Texas prosecutor: Chased people with chainsaw
Her father was the one who led police to the girls' bodies, saying he had been searching for them. But as police asked Hobbs more questions, his answers seemed "atypical of a father whose daughter had just been murdered," Waller said.

Hobbs returned to Illinois a month ago after his release from prison in Texas, where he served nearly two years for violating probation.

In 2002 he pleaded guilty to assault against Laura Hobbs' mother Sheila Hollabaugh the year before, said Rick Mahler, an assistant district attorney in Wichita Falls, Texas.

"He started chasing people around with a chainsaw that was running," he said. "Somebody hit him with a shovel, knocked him down. Those people held him until the police arrived."

He also had served time in county jails on a variety of misdemeanor charges, ranging from assault to possession of marijuana and resisting arrest, Mahler said.

Hobbs' next court appearance, a preliminary hearing, is scheduled for June 9.

CNN's Jonathan Freed, Chris Lawrence and Keith Oppenheim contributed to this report.

That is one sick man they have. :rl:

I saw that on the news. It made me voitming. How would the world parent do dare with their children murder everyday ?

Father is very pathetic sicko to kill his own daughter and her friend. Hope, they put him in small dirty cell with bunches of bugs to eat all him up !

eat mold bread and drink dirty (urine) water in the bowl which he deserves it! I really want to kill him so badly. Those 2 girls are adorable.

Fuck asshole of that sicko man!

I read that he stabbed one lil girl so hard that it hit her spinal cord....with a small knife that is pretty damn hard....

:crazy: i read more news. you are right. father did stab the girl so hard and damaged her spinal cord. ouch... father is mentally insane for sure.

Yeah I read again and this man makes me sick. It really pissed me off as hell.

Back