Fate of space shuttles

RedFox

Reaction score
DailyTech - NASA to Sell, Donate Old Space Shuttles

Plans are to donate one to the Smithsonian and the have the other two sent to schools, museums or other organization who have the millions of dollars to pay for cleaning them up and shipping. They're also required to be kept inside in climate controlled rooms. You could also get a main engine for $400-800k.

I think they should donate space shuttles and engines to universities where the engineering students can learn from them for their future careers.

I think they should donate space shuttles and engines to universities where the engineering students can learn from them for their future careers.

lol this is not the engine that can fit inside the lab. beside.... many rockets are based on it as well.

Would the next generation of shuttles look like the ones we have now?

The Constellation program isn't making new shuttles, but stacks like the Saturn V and Apollo plus boosters. The crew launcher will be the Ares I and the cargo launcher will be the Ares V. The Ares V is going to be more powerful than the Saturn V and the most powerful rocket ever. :shock:

Then there's the Earth Departure Stage that will be launched with an Ares V along with an Altair lunar lander. Then the Orion crew capsule that had been launched by an Ares I docks with the lunar lander and EDS to go to the Moon.

The Constellation program isn't making new shuttles, but stacks like the Saturn V and Apollo plus boosters. The crew launcher will be the Ares I and the cargo launcher will be the Ares V. The Ares V is going to be more powerful than the Saturn V and the most powerful rocket ever. :shock:

Then there's the Earth Departure Stage that will be launched with an Ares V along with an Altair lunar lander. Then the Orion crew capsule that had been launched by an Ares I docks with the lunar lander and EDS to go to the Moon.

It reminds me of the early Apollo flights, from the shape of the vehicle, right down to the naval recovery of the crew and vehicle form the ocean. I just hope we don't have any disasters while this new program is being developed.

if you mean space shuttles - most likely no. it has been proven extremely costly and dangerous. it is a known fact that everytime astronauts get on space shuttle, they dread if it won't blow up or not. but.... one thing to keep in mind. the concept of space shuttle was a very bold, daring idea. This man once asked - "hey.... what if we can make an airplane that takes off to space... and comes back to Earth in one piece?" Of course... people laughed at him and called him a fool. boy.... were they wrong! :laugh2:

What RedFox said about Ares.... he's right. It will be based on Ares because it's a proven and cost-effective technology. That's why Chinese successfully made it to space with no hitch. It's much more reliable and easier to manage/maintain than space shuttles. With this - USA can launch more space missions than with space shuttles.

Back