Farmer has double arm transplant

Far out that's interesting. Hopefully it will be successful for this farmer in 2 years later.

WOW! I hope he able to move/feel in 2 years. I hope it was successful and worth it.

similar to North Dakota man got lost both arms by accident his farm. His Arms caught machinery shaft. It happen in 15 years ago ( don't remember exact date). Both arms reattach went success. Arms is not perfect and just limit movement.

Do you remember about face transplant in France few years ago after dog bite? It goes successful... Her face does improve now... I will search the picture of her face to post here.

Wierd but interesting. I hope the recovery process goes well. I'm sure we'll see what happens over the course of two years.

I think it very fortunate that the farmer does not depend on his hands to communicate. I think Deaf's greatest fears are losing their hands and their sight (if already had).

Kind of reminds me of The Beast with Five Fingers (I love Peter Lorre :) ).

I hope that the farmer gets back use of his arms.

Kind of reminds me of The Beast with Five Fingers (I love Peter Lorre :) ).

I hope that the farmer gets back use of his arms.

I love Peter Lorre too!

Mad Love was a film of his that featured hand transplant too.

I love Peter Lorre too!

Mad Love was a film of his that featured hand transplant too.
Right! How could I forget?! I remember it as The Hands of Orlac. It's a rare one.

It's a good thing that a farmer got the new arms this time, and not a pianist. ;)

At first I thought u were talking about a man with a third arm added or something but lol seems I just got confused but thats pretty interesting thou.

Updated

German Farmer Happy After Dual Arm Transplant

The world's first double arm transplant recipient, a 54-year-old German farmer, said he's doing well and is slowly re-learning to move his arms.

A 54-year-old German dairy farmer became the only person in the world to receive a full arm transplant in July. Now, more than two months later, Karl Merk said he is extremely happy with the transplant.

"The feeling is indescribable," Merk said as he showed off the new limbs, which are supported by a special "corset" while the healing continues. "Every day I gain more mobility."

Merk lost both arms in a farming accident six years ago. Two attempts to attach artificial protheses failed, leaving Merk completely reliant on others to care for him.

No signs of rejection

Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: The complex operation took two days

In desperation, Merk turned to doctors at the Technical University in the southern German city of Munich for advice. Doctors at the university's Rechts der Isar Clinic decided Merk would be a good candidate for the experimental surgery.

Five teams of doctors performed the gruelling procedure over two days in July. One team removed the arms from a doner who had died only hours before while the other team prepared Merk for the transplant.

Hand and lower arm transplants are extremely rare and a double transplant which included the elbow joint and upper arm had never been attempted. It posed a great challenge for both the immune and circulatory systems, the doctors involved said.

There is "no sign" that Merk's body was rejecting the foreign tissue, as was feared before the procedure, according to doctors.

German Farmer Happy After Dual Arm Transplant | Germany | Deutsche Welle | 08.10.2008

That is interesting about the latest update on this German Farmer. Hopefully it will process well for him in a longer run.

That is wonderful. Hopefully he will be able to resume his old job when they become fully functional.

Thanks for keeping this news updated. :D

Wow, that's amazing!!! I'm sure 20 years from now it will be no big deal with the evolution of medical sciences. But for now..that is amazing!! I hope this goes well. Maybe it will help many people in the future.

Thank god for people who make the decision to donate.

He now has a whole new set of fingerprints

Glad all is well. Hopefully he will gain use of his hands in a few years

Back