famous names

viper_80

Reaction score
just been thinking, don't ask me why because I don't know lol, this is just me being typically random. but how many famous people past or present can you name who were either deaf or hard of hearing during their fame? I can onlythink of one, Beethoven I think was hard of hearing that's why his music is in a loud style. any others you know of?

lol ok fair enough, maybe it was a stupid thread to.start. Any Mods want to delete it?

Nah.

People bring this up a lot. :)

Marlee Matlin. Deanne Bray. Phyllis Frelich. Linda Bove. Lou Ferrigno (The Hulk). Matt Hammill (MMA fighter that starred on UFC.) Thomas Edison. Helen Keller.

Then there's lesser-known icons like... Laurent Clerc. Lesser known celebrity includes... Christy Smith (she was on "Survivors") and Rush Limbaugh (conservative talk-show host.)

Danny Elfman. :)

Luke Adams - Amazing Race

Louis Frisino - Painter

Shoshannah Stern - Actress

Vinton Cerf - Father of the internet (hoh)

Granville Redmond - Artist

Douglas Tilden - Sculptor

Heather Whitestone - Miss America

Juliette Low - Girl Scouts founder

James Deaf Burke - Boxer 1800's

Dummy Hoy - Baseball player

Curtis Pride - Baseball player

Erastus "Deaf" Smith, 1787-1837 - A Texas county is named for him

Luke Adams - Amazing Race

Louis Frisino - Painter

Shoshannah Stern - Actress

Vinton Cerf - Father of the internet (hoh)

Granville Redmond - Artist

Douglas Tilden - Sculptor

Heather Whitestone - Miss America

Juliette Low - Girl Scouts founder

James Deaf Burke - Boxer 1800's

Dummy Hoy - Baseball player

Curtis Pride - Baseball player

Erastus "Deaf" Smith, 1787-1837 - A Texas county is named for him

thought you love deanne bray.. did you forget to post her name on here. hehe

wow, quite a few then. feeling pretty dumb now though as don't know who loads of them are! I shall sit in the corner with the silly hat on. I do know the guy who played the Hulk though! didn't see that one coming!

I've met:

Lou Ferringo (A Boulderite.)
Matt Hamill (lived with him for a while)
Christy Smith (drink with her now and then ;) )
Luke Adams (Went to school with him, and he posts rarely here on AD)
Ashley Fiolek (hasnt been brought up, deaf motocross STAR.. this lady pwns everyone on the track, sponsored by Red Bull)
Sho (Shoshannah Stern)
Kenny Walker (Defensive End for the Broncos early 1990s)

Everybody on the above list I either have on Facebook or personal email.

Now deaf well knowns that I haven't met and that is not listed yet off my head:
John Hubbard - Graduated Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind 1884, Gallaudet 1888. Credited for the Football Huddle.
Kitty O'Neil - World record holder in land speed, well known Dare Devil. (I think her record still stands)
Steve Jobs (CEO of Apple, Inc.)

One of the most FAMOUS CODA is:
Lou Chaney (Man of Thousand Faces. Was a huge hit back in the Silent Movies era. You've seen him as the Frankenstein, Dracula, King Kong, Mummies, Zombies, etc. His parents graduated from Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind as well..)

Princess Alice = Granddaughter of Queen Victoria and mother of Prince Phillip

Queen Alexandra - Wife of Edward VII (cause otosclerosis)

wow, quite a few then. feeling pretty dumb now though as don't know who loads of them are! I shall sit in the corner with the silly hat on. I do know the guy who played the Hulk though! didn't see that one coming!

please don't feel that way. glad you asked because you are curious. That's great about it. :) Just browsing all of these threads and you will gain your knowledges about deaf issues and us, and annoying people. lol.

please don't feel that way. glad you asked because you are curious. That's great about it. :) Just browsing all of these threads and you will gain your knowledges about deaf issues and us, and annoying people. lol.

Fact.

I like this thread.

Oh and...

Nick Schreiber - CAT 1 Professional Deaf Cyclist.
Robin Horwitz - Another Professional Deaf Cyclist. (Fun Fact according to Convo: He ran a professional cycling race without most of the committee knowing he was Deaf.)

Bonnie Sloan, NFL Player St. Louis Cardinals 1970's

Gary Washington... Still famed in small circles of hardcore people who follow athletes. Fastest guy to stand on a football field, maybe ever. Graduated Colorado School for the Deaf and the Blind 1976. Played only one offensive play for Colorado University (which was a 72 yard run for TD). Had a 40 yard dash time of 3.85. Met President Nixon, and signed for the Washington Redskins. That summer his mother died and he crashed big. He resorted to drugs. I see him from time to time. He sells ABC cards here in Boulder. (Yep hes homeless, and lives here.)

When I was in high school (early 70's) in Colorado, a school called "Colorado Deaf & Blind" fielded one of the best 8-man teams in the state. I remember reading about them taking 2nd in state to perennial 8-man state champ, Hugo, in the Fall of 1972. All of the football players were deaf. In wrestling, the school featured deaf wrestlers as well as blind wrestlers. In all, they were pretty good at every sport.

Two of their star athletes received scholarships to a couple major Colorado universities. Gary Washington played four years at CU as a defensive back. Another, Fidel Martinez, received a scholarship for wrestling at the University of Northern Colorado (at the time, UNC was a wrestling hotbed). During my first season of college football I played for a junior college in the Fall of 1973. We played the Colorado U. freshman team and Gary Washington was starting for them. He was a terrific athlete.
http://sports-boards.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-124688.html

Wow, amazing story, PFH. Hmmm, I wonder if us deafies could have a connection with him for issues that Apple should deal with because of our deafness? Like CC ad other stuff.....thanks for that, tho....

He's very inflexible.

Back