Family of 7 found slain

IslandGal

Reaction score
Family of 7 found slain in Indianapolis

INDIANAPOLIS - Seven family members, the youngest just 5 years old, were shot to death in their home during what appeared to be a robbery attempt, officials said Friday as police searched for at least two suspects in the attack.

Police reached the house shortly after 10 p.m. Thursday after a witness saw one of the victims being dragged into the home and then heard gunfire.

Inside, officers found three children — ages 5 to 11 — dead on a bed and the bodies of four adults scattered inside, police said. All had been shot in what officials described as the city's worst mass killings in decades.

Police were seeking two suspects, including Desmond Turner, 28, of Indianapolis. Sgt. Matthew Mount, a police spokesman, said Turner grew up in the neighborhood but it was unclear whether he knew the family. Turner's criminal history includes time served for pointing a handgun and criminal recklessness.

"He'd gone there to rob the home and decided while he was there to execute everybody at the same time, unfortunately," Mount said.

Witnesses told police they saw three or four men running from the back of the house after the shootings, and authorities said they were searching for another suspect.

The seven victims spanned three generations of a family, from 5-year-old Luis Albarran to his grandmother Emma Valdez.

Luis had spent the evening with his grandmother while his mother, Flora Albarran, was out running errands with a friend, police said. Albarran, 22, arrived about 10 p.m. to pick up the boy.

When she walked up to the house and opened the door, her friend saw a light come on and heard Albarran shout: "Don't do that! My child!"

Albarran yelled to her friend not to come in the house, then the friend heard gunshots and screaming, police said in a news release. The friend told police a man holding a long gun stepped onto the porch and the shooting continued inside.

Authorities identified the victims as Emma Valdez, 46, and her husband, Alberto Covarrubias, 56; Flora Albarran and her brother Magno Albarran, 29; Alberto Covarrubias, 11; David Covarrubias, 8 or 9; and young Luis.

Neighbor Frank Dodson, 49, said Valdez' husband had been at his home earlier that evening and nothing appeared to be wrong.

"They were real friendly people," he said. "You couldn't ask for better neighbors. God, I hate to see this happen."

At the home Friday morning, an iron security door stood open as the officers passed in and out, and a wind chime hung in one window. Police had no history of calls to the home apart from one to check on an alarm.

Neighbors said the area, about a block from the Indiana Women's Prison, had declined in recent years and that drug crimes and muggings had become more common.

"We have been complaining and complaining," said Sandy Washington, 65, who said she had gone to neighborhood meetings to report drugs and prostitution in the area. "Our voices aren't heard."

Thursday's slayings were the city's worst since King Edward Bell, a laid-off autoworker, killed his estranged wife, mother-in-law and four children in 1981. Bell was sentenced to six consecutive 40-year prison terms.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060602/ap_on_re_us/indianapolis_slayings

This is so terrible!!

That's really wild and crazy there! Sick....

This is definitely very saddening especially seeing how violent this was--at the same time happening in an area ridden with drugs and crime, although it shows that this family was the sort anyone would be happy to have as neighbors. Will keep this in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully the attackers will be apprehended soon and brought to justice.

i know i saw this morning on yahoo news i always read yahoo news

i was sicken by this and i got pissed
sighs

I second w/RR's comment
Will keep this in my thoughts and prayers and hopefully the attackers will be apprehended soon and brought to justice.

Bring'em justice too!

i saw on news on the television and computer of story about that its really stupid and really killers! its indiana where my Aunt lives in Evansville,Indiana but my Aunt dont lived in Indianapolis,Indiana.

Suspect surrenders

Suspect in 7 Indy slayings surrenders

INDIANAPOLIS - A man suspected of gunning down seven family members he believed kept large amounts of money in their home surrendered to police on Saturday, authorities said.

A few members of Desmond Turner's family accompanied him as he met authorities at a downtown fast-food restaurant around 7 p.m.

"He couldn't look at anybody," Deputy Chief Tim Foley said. "He had his head down. He was sullen."

The bodies of three boys, ages 5 to 11, and four adult relatives were found dead in a house Thursday in the worst mass murder in Indianapolis in at least 25 years.

Turner, 28, grew up in the area and had returned last fall after being released from prison following a 3 1/2-year term for drug and weapons charges.

Foley said investigators put pressure on people who knew Turner to ensure that they wouldn't take him in.

"He didn't turn himself in out of remorse. He turned himself in because he had no place to go," Foley said.

More than 100 police officers had searched for Turner, including unsuccessful raids at two houses, since shortly after the slayings. He now faces seven counts of murder.

On Friday, police arrested another suspect, 30-year-old James Stewart, after a traffic stop. He was being held Saturday on a preliminary charge of murder, police said.

"Indianapolis can sleep a lot easier tonight," Deputy Police Chief Clifford Myers said.

Foley said police believe the suspects targeted the home for robbery after hearing exaggerated accounts of money and other valuables inside. Those accounts were "fiction," Foley said.

Nearly 30 shell casings from an assault rifle were found at the home.

Foley said that although the decision of whether to pursue capital murder charges belongs to prosecutors, "If I was a betting man, I'd say there's a high likelihood this is going to be a death penalty case."

The victims were identified as Emma Valdez, 46; her husband, Alberto Covarrubias, 56; their sons Alberto Covarrubias, 11, and David Covarrubias, 8 or 9; Valdez's daughter, Flora Albarran, 22; Albarran's 5-year-old son, Luis; and Albarran's brother Magno Albarran, 29.

Maria Flores, whose sister was killed, stood quietly as police briefed the media about Turner's surrender.

"We are very relieved and thankful that he made the right decision," she said. "I just hope God forgives him for what he did."

Neighbors, friends and others left flowers, ribbons, candles, dozens of stuffed animals and an angel statue along a sidewalk in front of the family's house in a working-class neighborhood. Cars drove by slowly while people knelt to pray. A memorial service was to be held in front of the family's home Sunday evening.

"God shall bring justice to them, celebrate the way they lived, not the way they left us," read one note left atop seven red roses at the family's modest tan house. "A good family is gone, but not forgotten. Shall they all rest in peace."

Adults and children, many in tears, streamed through nearby Thomas D. Gregg Elementary, where David and Alberto had attended classes, to speak with grief counselors Saturday.

"The boys were very respectful of the school, good students and well-behaved," Principal Les Durbin told The Indianapolis Star. "They were very well-respected by their classmates and their parents were very involved in their educations."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060604/ap_on_re_us/indianapolis_slayings

Back