Family fights substance they say led to son's suicide

rockin'robin

Reaction score
WINDER, Ga. -- John and Lauren Eden say their 22-year-old son John was bright, intelligent and ready to take on the world.

A junior at the University of Georgia in a Naval Intelligence program, the family believes he fell into a trap taking what he thought were natural substances, until those substances took over.

"He was just a good boy, he was my baby," said Lauren.

"He had the whole world ahead of him," said his father, John.

On May 3, 2015, John Eden took his life.

"He called me one day in a panic. My son usually is calm, cool, collected, wise to the world at 22, he called me in a panic and said you know mom, I don't feel good I'm addicted to Kratom," said Lauren describing how she first learned there was a problem.

Kratom, a plant native to Southeast Asia, can depending on how much is ingested, act as a stimulant or a sedative.

The Edens had never heard of the substance, which is legal in Georgia, that they say led their son to suicide.

"He had told us about Kratom, that he was taking it. You know 'It makes me feel good, helps keep me awake' and I said to him 'what is this stuff I've never heard of this stuff?' and he basically described it like a vitamin," said Lauren Eden. "My son was all about being healthy, and not putting synthetics in your body."

Lauren says her son came to them last year concerned about the drug's effects and asking for help.

"My 6'4'' baby boy slept in the bed with his mamma that night and probably about three or four he said, 'you know mom, I'm feeling a bit better I'm gonna go back to the apartment. I'm just gonna start weaning myself off of this' and I'm going what are you talking about, you're going from panic to all of a sudden you've got this under control?" she recalled.

She says the family reached out to some rehabilitation centers that said they had no knowledge of Kratom, and John later told his parents he had stopped taking the substance.

"He acted like he had it under control, like it was not a big deal, like I was being overprotective mom," said Lauren.

But the truth was he had not.

As a mom, I feel like maybe I should have been more aggressive, maybe I should have done more research or what I'm learning now is it was a spiral downward," she said. "He was so addicted to this stuff. His tolerance level had built up so high that he couldn't take enough Kratom to stop the withdrawals."

After John's death, the Edens found bags, bottles and packets of Kratom in their son's apartment. Clues they think were left to lead them in their fight to prevent this from happening to someone else.

"I think my son is guiding us actually in this," said Lauren. "He left us enough information to where I can spread the word and try to save another. I can't bring back my son I can't change what happened. I can't but I can spread the word and maybe I can save someone else's young person."

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story...stance-they-say-led-to-sons-suicide/28396933/

What is Kratom?

Kratom is the name for the leaves of the tropical Mitragyna Speciosa tree that is closely related to Rubiaceae – also known as the coffee bean tree. This tree can grow to a height of 100 feet and features large, green leaves with tiny yellow flowers. In areas of Southeast Asia where it is an indigenous plant, it is one of the most common herbal remedies, used to treat a range of conditions from fever to fatigue to depression to diarrhea. Native populations still use Kratom Tea as an alternative to coffee because it provides longer lasting energy without a crash at the end of the day. In countries like Thailand, it is now illegal to grow due to competition with the domestic opium trade.

Kratom was first introduced to the Western world in the 19th Century by the Dutch botanist Pieter Willem Korthals. He observed the reverence for the Mitragyna Speciosa tree paid by natives and gave it the name “precious miter”. After importing Kratom to the Netherlands, it became popular as a stimulant as well as a treatment for opium addiction. To this day, it is believed that Kratom can be a useful treatment tool for individuals with opiate addictions. It seems to be able to prevent the formation of an addiction by interfering with certain neural circuits while also reducing signs of drug withdrawal.

http://kratomonline.org/kratom/

one of those things damed if do damed if don't..so many addictive stuff about

Thats why criminalizes dope users does NOT work, need to find another better way to solve the problem. Ban them, they (Drug users) WILL look harder and find a way or other. Cycle keeps going UNTIL there is change in drug policy.

It applies inside prisons too, they are making dangerous booze, many died from it, so other dope too... which proves that drug law isn't working at all, hence BROKEN!

SMH

Yep...banning or prohibiting thid krstom stuff will just make the plm far far worse.
As prohibition always does...

Last edited:
Sadly a lot of people think it's safe to use natural substances b/c it came from a 'plant' it has to be safe. And this is so untrue . FDA needs to more to educate people about the danger of using natural substances and made the companies list all the side effects and risks that go with taking their products. I got very sick taking St John's wort and end up needing to go to ER. I did not have a computer to look this up before taking it and there was no warning on the bottle.

This so sad about the young man :(

Sadly a lot of people think it's safe to use natural substances b/c it came from a 'plant' it has to be safe. And this is so untrue . FDA needs to more to educate people about the danger of using natural substances and made the companies list all the side effects and risks that go with taking their products. I got very sick taking St John's wort and end up needing to go to ER. I did not have a computer to look this up before taking it and there was no warning on the bottle.

This so sad about the young man :(

This is a common and very srtange idea.after all almost every illegal drug comes from plants...few very few deugs are conpletely synthetic.
Cocain
Heroin
Both are from plants. Heroin peocessed from opium which comes fr, the poppy, cocsin from the coca leaf
Crack is just cocain in a sal rock form for easy smoking..
molly or mdma, while most bekive it to be synthetic actually is not, and is only psrrtly synthesised. And the base chemical neexed comes from the sassafraz leaf,
even acid lsd, first comes from A root...
Few veryvfew are conpleteky synthetic man made...
Im not sure where or why thebidea that if something is nwgural its gokd for you csme from...
Hell
Cyanide poison is natural, so is booze...
As for the young man who offed himself...i think blaming the plant he tookmay be rsther premature,

Back