Family events

CJB

Reaction score
I've only been HH for a few months so I've only had company over a few times. While I am blind, I'm sure this applies to people that don't have immaculate lipreading skills or that can lipread one-on-one but not in a whole room of people.

What do you do when you absolutely cannot follow the conversation? You're trying your best to make out what people are saying but it's too noisy, there are too many people, and so you just can't.

I don't want to be a pain in the neck and keep insisting people repeat themselves as I know that ruins the flow of conversation. Any suggestions on how to tackle this issue?

My wife can tactile finger spell in my hand and knows some basic signs (she's still learning as am I) but neither of us sign fast enough to keep up with conversation as of yet.

:ty::ty:

If you can find the solution to that, let me know!

I usually try to bottleneck those kind of events as much as possible to one-on-one conversations, or make sure those events happen somewhere busy like at a concert or amusement park so that if one-on-one conversations doesn't occur, people can't fault you for not "trying hard enough" or some other stupid excuse that is suppose to make you feel guilty by not talking to people.

Otherwise, I just don't go to those events. Not really fair to me, and it's not fair to them to be complaining about me "not paying attention."

I usually annoy people cause I have a hard time following group convos. What works for me is being close to one that I understand well and paying attention to whoever's saying something at all times. If I miss something, I ask him or her what they said to keep up with the convo.

I usually annoy people cause I have a hard time following group convos. What works for me is being close to one that I understand well and paying attention to whoever's saying something at all times. If I miss something, I ask him or her what they said to keep up with the convo.

I do the same. The person I understand best is my wife because I'm used to her voice. But sometimes she wants to enjoy the party herself without being my designated interpreter. So when she gets tired of repeating everything or signing it in my hand, then I'm lost. I don' t expect her to stick by my side the entire evening either. She deserves to have a good time too. :dunno:

I have a Blackberry, PSP, and a Netbook. I entertain myself. If anyone wants to talk to me they get my attention and do so.

That's pretty much all you can do. Just sit there.

Botts said it when she has things to occupy her time instead of wasting it trying to keep up with the conversation

I am like that too. It is pointless to try and keep up and give myself a headache and eye strain in the mix.

If anyone wants to say anything to me they can get my attention and go from there. If it's one on one thats way better!

I have an idea, it may or may not work, record the conversation, have your wife tell you afterwards, that way she can have fun and you will get the chance to know what was said.

That's what I do at Doctor's appointments, my mother or my Manfriend will tell me what was said.

I hate family events, I try and keep up for as long as I can. but if I get annoyed or bored, i tend to text and play with my phone. Anyway when my mum talks to me, she always makes sure im lookin at her so she gets my attention

If someone says something and I don't understand what they have just said, I just nod and smile and pretend that I found whatever they said was hilarious to keep them happy. :lol:

Loghead,

I don't know how you can do that?

What if they asked you a question that you would have said "no" to?

Example from my past experience:

"Do you like to drink raw eggs for breakfast?"

I nodded my head, even though I had no clue what they said. I watched them blend raw eggs and pour it into a cup and hand the cup to me.

They looked at me like they were expecting me to drink it. :laugh2:

I had to drink it, I felt so stupid for doing that. I no longer pretend to know because I don't want another raw egg incident.

:giggle:

Loghead,

I don't know how you can do that?

What if they asked you a question that you would have said "no" to?

Example from my past experience:

"Do you like to drink raw eggs for breakfast?"

I nodded my head, even though I had no clue what they said. I watched them blend raw eggs and pour it into a cup and hand the cup to me.

They looked at me like they were expecting me to drink it. :laugh2:

I had to drink it, I felt so stupid for doing that. I no longer pretend to know because I don't want another raw egg incident.

:giggle:

:iobarf:

Back