Falling oil prices hurting OPEC members

Foxrac

Premium Member
Reaction score
Claudia Cattaneo, Financial Post
Published: Tuesday, November 25, 2008

CALGARY -- After throwing a wrench into Canada's oil sands growth and messing up Alberta's budget surplus, slumping oil prices are beginning to bite into the government budgets of many OPEC members, Tristone Capital Inc. said in a report.

The Calgary-based energy investment dealer said Tuesday cartel outliers Iran and Venezuela are in the toughest spot, requiring oil at US$90 a barrel for their budgets to break even next year, while Nigeria and Bahrain need crude above US$70 a barrel.

Even producers in the Arabian Gulf are getting close to the oil price they need -- US$50 a barrel -- for their government budgets to break even. Oil settled at US$50.75 a barrel in New York Tuesday, down US$3.75 on worries the U.S. Energy Department will reveal a growth in oil inventories Wednesday, and down nearly US$100 since mid-July.

"There is a growing gap between what the required oil price is to balance the budget, and where we are at," Chris Theal, Tristone's head of research, said in an interview. "Iran and Venezuela are clearly in unsustainable territory."

But the brokerage doesn't see relief for another year on weak global oil demand and slack OPEC discipline. It expects oil prices to average US$50 a barrel in 2009, down 47% from its previous oil call of US$95 a barrel, rebounding to US$70 in 2010 and US$90 in 2011.

Indeed, Tristone sees a return to oil bull market conditions beyond 2010 as project cancellations and deferrals result in insufficient supplies starting in 2011. Tristone forecasts global spending on oil projects will fall by 30% to 40% in 2009 to US$275-billion.

"With the low price environment for oil over the next 12-18 months, we are setting the stage for under-investment in crude oil and in turn the next supply shock in two to five years," the brokerage said.

Tristone says Venezuela, which funds 46.5% of its budget from oil sales, needs US$90 a barrel to avoid a current-account deficit based on production of 2.4-million barrels a day. While Venezuela's national budget for 2009 is based on an average price of US$60 a barrel and production of 3.6-million barrels a day, Tristone said the country consistently underdelivers by 1.2-million barrels a day.

Tuesday, Venezuela's President, Hugo Chavez, suggested that OPEC return to a system of setting a price band for crude oil to enhance market stability, similar to the price band adopted in the late 2009 to keep prices between US$22 and US$29 a barrel.

Venezuela would consider a price of US$80 to US$100 a barrel to be "fair," Mr. Chavez said.

Iran is in the biggest trouble, having built its budget for fiscal 2008/2009 based on US$115 oil. Oil production accounts for 57.8% of government spending.

"These guys are actually dipping into their oil stabilization fund, the equivalent of the sovereign wealth fund, to fund programs," Mr. Theal said. "They are going into an election next year. How palatable is that going to be with an increasingly educated electorate?"

Meanwhile, Nigeria, which derives 85% of its budget from oil sales, needs oil to be around US$80 a barrel.

Outside OPEC, Russia, the world's second-largest oil producer, needs oil at US$70 to balance its budget, while Mexico's budget reflects oil at US$80 a barrel. Alberta, Canada's top oil producing province, based its 2008/2009 budget on oil averaging US$78 a barrel.

Falling oil prices hurting OPEC members

I'm not surprised, we need cut on demand of foreign oil and move to increase of domestic oil, such as drilling oil and use other energy source beside of oil.

If US cut on alot of foreign oil then heavily oil countries wouldn't growing in economy and they need find other something to growing in economy instead of use economy from oil, I don't like to see our alot of money goes on stupid high oil price for nothing.

Our Economy and Oil Pirces + One Great New Energy Independence Book

Not enough credit is being given to the high gas prices this past year and it's serious damage on our economy and society. That one factor alone has caused serious stress in both individuals and businesses. A record number of homes and jobs have been lost as a direct result. And, while we are doing the happy dance around the lower prices at the pumps OPEC is announcing cuts to manipulate the prices upward again. We must get on with becoming energy independent.We can't take another year like this past. There is a wonderful new book out about the energy crisis and what it would take for America to become energy independent. It covers every aspect of oil, what it's uses are besides gasoline, our reserves, our depletion of it. Every type of alternative energy is covered and it's potential to replace oil. He even has proposed legislative agenda's that would be necessary to implement these changes along with time frames. This book is profoundly informative and our country needs to become more informed and move forward with becoming energy independent. Green technology would not only provide clean cheap energy it would create millions of badly needed new jobs. The Book is called The Manhattan Project of 2009 Energy Independence NOW. Our politicians all need to read this book. The Manhattan Project of 2009: Energy Independence NOW

Good, so they can go and cry a river and get over it.

Boo Hoo TOUGH SH#T!

These OPEC guys enjoyed immense oil profit for years and now they're having to deal. Booo Hooo.

HA!

Oh yup, I have agree with many of you about OPEC.

OPEC is fucking too greedy, I hope import oil will become more less and less in near future and heavily oil countries will be BROKE.

Saudi Arabia accepts oil price to be at $50 or less, unlike other oil countries and $50 would be enough for real inflation.

Bullshit to OPEC. They are very rich and complained to falling price.

:fu2: opec!! they have screwed us over left and right. I beleive they are still part of conspiracy where everytime someone claims a way to save gas big time, they take the technology away and turn it into a nasty rumor. They are not even looking at the big picture here. The faster we are using oil - they faster they gonna be out of business when supplies dry up. I mean, how can we actually have enough oil for future. Its a finite supply. The better we can make the oil last, the better off we will be. Todays cars are no better off with MPG then it was 20 years ago. 20 years ago we had V8 engines trucks and today we have V6 or hybrid trucks that roughly average the same MPG it was back then !! . sheesh!!

so :fu2: opec!! :rl: oil fat cats!!

eh the oil is not running out that fast. they fuck us around to show us who is the boss. and this also shows how much we're at their mercy. it's sad....

eh the oil is not running out that fast. they fuck us around to show us who is the boss. and this also shows how much we're at their mercy. it's sad....

It makes me SICK!

Actually, what I have heard is it is/was the traders in the stock market who caused the ridiculous rises in the price of oil. Now the OPEC members, having had a taste of that run-up are spoiled and are trying to get it up again.

Last edited:
I'm happy about gas price falling falling falling!! I would LOVE to see 79 cents like back in 1988. It's so cheap that I filled tank of 1977 toyota corolla for $6. I was poor and was on SSI back then. It helped big time that I travelled from Kansas City to Rochester NY and back and spent only nearly $30 for round trip on car. That's cheap!!

I would guess if 79 cents a gallon to fill 27 gallon tank of my Durango woulda been around $20 comparing to $4 a gallon to fill same thing for wallet funeral of $95 last year!!

I sure hope OPEC get punished for jacking up price to $4 last year and see Rich people grovel at the corner of the street like panhandler. I would just give them a snot-filled crumbled gum wrapper cuz they got $$ stashed elsewhere. It's time to roll back to 80's when gas is soo cheap! Why would Rich people begged more money when they have plenty $$'s to last many generations or next few century.. Jerks!!!

Catty

I'm happy about gas price falling falling falling!! I would LOVE to see 79 cents like back in 1988. It's so cheap that I filled tank of 1977 toyota corolla for $6. I was poor and was on SSI back then. It helped big time that I travelled from Kansas City to Rochester NY and back and spent only nearly $30 for round trip on car. That's cheap!!

I would guess if 79 cents a gallon to fill 27 gallon tank of my Durango woulda been around $20 comparing to $4 a gallon to fill same thing for wallet funeral of $95 last year!!

I sure hope OPEC get punished for jacking up price to $4 last year and see Rich people grovel at the corner of the street like panhandler. I would just give them a snot-filled crumbled gum wrapper cuz they got $$ stashed elsewhere. It's time to roll back to 80's when gas is soo cheap! Why would Rich people begged more money when they have plenty $$'s to last many generations or next few century.. Jerks!!!

Catty

Cool but 79 cents wouldn't going be happen due OPEC made more production cut, however OPEC agreement on high oil price ended in 1986 and return to inflation adjusted, continue until 2003 and inflation for 79 cents in 1988 is $1.37 in 2007.

OPEC don't control their price but they do control on oil production, when oil price soared to more than $100 and they refused to increase the production, you can say to blame on OPEC for fail to increase the production to counter the oil price. When economy crashed then oil price went fell so sharply and OPEC did cut 2 million barrels in last week then they failed to stop or increase the oil price.

Gas price in today is cheaper than in late 70's and early 1980's, according to inflation.

You can kill OPEC by find way to replace the oil into other energy source and renewable energy.

You can kill OPEC by find way to replace the oil into other energy source and renewable energy.

:rofl: Be nice if we have perpetual energy that never need fuel source. That'll kill OPEC. I'm very sure that WE do need oil anyway for making plastic, road pavements ect which are part of our needs!!!

Catty

Back