Facts or Myth?!?!

CoolieFroggie

Reaction score
I might be :crazy: but just curious to ask...

I was wondering if any of you believe in the carrot that improving your sights?

It's what some people told me. It's not just only carrots that will improve the sights. Spinach, too and fishes.... and, several others as well. :) I am glad you brought that up which I thought is a good thread ! FYI, you are not crazy ! LOL You are doin' great ! ;)

Yeah, have heard that carrots are supposed to help boost better eyesight -- *shrugs*

I heard same thing when I was teen, also.

Till I found there are more than just carrots. Along with vitamins supplement and herbal support.

:) I prayed to the Google and here is what it has turned up!

Can eating carrots really improve your eyesight? Sorry No! They will help to keep your eyes healthy and not deteriorate as quickly. When your mother said "Eat your carrots, they'll help your eyes," she had a point. Eating carrots does provide benefits to your eyes, experts say.
Both vitamin A and beta-carotene are known to lower the risk of eye disease, hence the carrot's association with eyesight. The University of Wisconsin has developed a variety of carrot that contains 3 to 5 times more vitamin A than the average carrot. Named the Beta III, it was bred especially for growing in countries suffering from severe vitamin A deficiency and epidemic blindness.

When you eat carrots, the beta-carotene is transformed into retinol or vitamin A. Vitamin A is necessary for the retina of the eye to function properly. The retina is the light-sensing part of the eye that holds the rods and cones, which contain enzymes that absorb light and allow us to see.

The rods provide black and white vision and respond in dim light while the cones provide colour vision and respond to bright light. Vitamin A helps the retina tell black from white and provides for colour vision. It also helps us see in dim light or at night. When you go into a darkened theatre after being out in the bright light, your eyes are able to adapt because of the vitamin A that you have stored in your body.

It's possible that even very serious eye conditions might have a connection to carrots and other things you eat, though it remains difficult to truly determine if this kind of association is valid. If proven, it could then be a factor, for example, in the case of macular degeneration, an age-related eye disease and the leading cause of blindness in older people.(the Macula is a part of the retina at the back of the eye)The macula of the eye contains two carotenoids similar to vitamin A (lutein and zeaxanthin) which are obtained from sweetcorn, carrots and other yellow-orange fruit and veg as well as dark green leafy vegetables.
Poor dietary intake of carotenoids is thought to be the main cause of this condition and those who eat the most carotenoids have at least a 60 per cent lower risk of developing age-related macular degeneration (AMD) of the eye than those with low intake. For more information, contact the Macular Disease Society.

Taken from this site

To answer your question.... its somewhat half truth. :)

Carrot helps your eyes.. No... I know it's myth but.. all want to convience kids can EAT Carrot.. than refused dislike eat carrot..
Encourge kids eat carrot which it's very good health and help your eyes better.. ("white lie") as angel.. *whistl'n*

That normal for that..
I bet you could same thing to your kids... (chuckles)

Yes true...most diabetic people was highly recommend to eat reasonable sizable of carrot...but not only carrot there are other good source of green vegatable do help this way to...

I used to believe that carrots improve eyesight, but I don't anymore. I'm just glad it's healthy to eat.

Actually, it's the Vitamin A in carrots that help your eyes. They don't exactly "improve" eyesight. They just keep your eyesight healthy. There are other foods that have vitamin A, so as long as you are eating healthy... your eyesight will be good. If you start having eyesight problems, it doesn't always mean that you aren't getting your vitamin As. It could be genetic, or other reasons.

Let me tell you this strange story of this lady i met one time....
She loves carrots so much (sounds like addiction to me) that she eats lots of carrots everyday and did it improve her eyesight? nahh, she still wears glasses, lol! but it did make her skin kinda orangey!! I was stunned when i first met her, thats the first thing i noticed about her..her orangey skin!! weird too!!..I think she had overload of Vitamin A!...

Well, if ya eat 68 foot long carrots every day, 365 days a year, you will become hearing on or about Sept 1, 2005 and have orange skin and wear coke-bottle glasses! :D

Defee said:
She loves carrots so much (sounds like addiction to me) that she eats lots of carrots everyday and did it improve her eyesight? nahh, she still wears glasses, lol! but it did make her skin kinda orangey!! I was stunned when i first met her, thats the first thing i noticed about her..her orangey skin!! weird too!!..I think she had overload of Vitamin A!...
Yep, that's what happens when you eat too much vitamin A! :eek: Imagine getting a tan with that kind of skin... freaky!

Defee said:

It doesn´t surprised me! :giggle:

Yes, it´s not only just healthy eye, but skin.

It would keep golden tan longer when you eat alot of Vitamin A & also nice skin.

Yeah I can imagine getting tan with orangey skin..eww! lol!
Yeah, it does good for your eyes and skin, Liebling but overdose on them carrots every day? no thanks!

Tousi said:
Well, if ya eat 68 foot long carrots every day, 365 days a year, you will become hearing on or about Sept 1, 2005 and have orange skin and wear coke-bottle glasses! :D

I think someone done that and his name is Carrot Top.

Richard

"Well, have you ever seen a rabbit with glasses?"

(an old proverb my mother used to tell me to eat my carrots, heh)

Its Myth!!.. why??

I ate tons tons tons tons carrots in my life cuz i dont want to have what my dad had.. catracts.. (sp?).. I ended up having to wear glasses... now my right eye is getting wrose.. just like my dad had before he passed on.. so i will have catracts surgery soon as i settle down with insurance.. heh..

*coughs* ... improves your sights.. hehe.. naww. just encouarge the kids to eat veggies cuz of vitmans... same with.. I was telling the kids to eat the bread crumbs that they always cut off.. if they eat them will make hair as they wish for.. lol.. and burnt toast is good for their tummy to disgest.. (its not, just make them eat!) lol

there are many more that are myth.. only its boost with good vitmans to eat those good foods..

Back