Fact and opinion

Dark-Half

Reaction score
WARNING POST CONTENTS ARE HYPER ANALYTICAL

I noticed a lot of people seem to stand by their opinions feverishly and continue to argue long after they got their point across and try to enforce it as a fact.

This happens alot in 3 specific types of debates. Religious, Abortion and Political. People will argue until the cows come home. Both sides can provide facts that support their opinion, but this doesn't make it any-more right than the other persons opinion. What you think is factual is not what literally is a fact. Unless, of course it is, literally.

My question is exactly how thin is the line between a stubborn opinion and complete delusion? A fact is a fact. The earth is round, you can't change this. What you think is not always a fact. Also when people bring up vague/unreliable evidence or /proof/ to call their opinion a fact, it doesn't make it so.

Also how does one validate if something is factual? In general it's extremely easy if the person possess logic, reason and has a free thinking mind that will think for itself and not be influnced by anything. The said person will take in account all possible variables and then decide.

For an example I'm gonna pull a religious snit here, so bear with me. I want it to be in this thread, not the religism one because it has more to do than with just religion but here-

Person A: I think God exists.
Person B: Why do you think that?
Person A: Well, he died for our sins and all ya know? The bible says so.
Person B: pif, that book isn't real science proves God doesn't exist.

Is the bible a crediable source to back it? Not really. Can we prove he doesn't exist? Not really. Bottom line? Both are speculations, both are opinions. Neither are facts. So why do people argue as if they ARE? Retorting to ones opinion and arguing against it stating with your own opinion why you disagree is one thing, but saying the opposing person is incorrect without any real facts on neither side is a little too selfrightous..

I agree.

I have my own opinions regarding politics (well, not really), cochlear implants, religion, etc... but I don't really care what others think, as long as it falls within the ethical limits.

For instance, I may not believe that God exists. Others may believe that God exists. However, I do not condone violence to prove a point when it comes to religion.

I may have varied opinions regarding cochlear implants, but I do not condone ignorant acts by others such as "I have CI and am now hearing. Therefore, deaf people are now losers!"

Why? With religion, it's not ethically right to use violence to prove a point. With cochlear implants, it's still not right to degrade another culture.

If you want to believe in the Bible, fine with me. If you want to wear cochlear implants, fine with me. If you want to be a Republican or a Democrat, fine with me. I don't care.

I agree.

I have my own opinions regarding politics (well, not really), cochlear implants, religion, etc... but I don't really care what others think, as long as it falls within the ethical limits.

For instance, I may not believe that God exists. Others may believe that God exists. However, I do not condone violence to prove a point when it comes to religion.

I may have varied opinions regarding cochlear implants, but I do not condone ignorant acts by others such as "I have CI and am now hearing. Therefore, deaf people are now losers!"

Why? With religion, it's not ethically right to use violence to prove a point. With cochlear implants, it's still not right to degrade another culture.

If you want to believe in the Bible, fine with me. If you want to wear cochlear implants, fine with me. If you want to be a Republican or a Democrat, fine with me. I don't care.

Ditto about that Vam!! as long as people don't force ya into it !!!

Same thing applies to people who says bible is myth, how do you really know that for fact? Everyone has their own believes, it doesn't make us wrong, it doesn't make the opposite debate party wrong. The problem lies with people who have done their share of criticized. You can't prove that God is not real, either we can prove that God is real, so who's wrong here? Nobody. But, I've seen plenty of members who opposed the bible, go as low as they possible can to criticized our posts or comments or statements. You either don't believe or you believe but it doesn't give anyone a right to say we aren't allow to debated on the topic because you can't handle other people's opinions. When I said "you" I mean everyone. We have that rightly to address our beliefs, it doesn't matter where we get our primary sources from either from the bible or from a web site or any other type of books. Not everyone is going to believe on one side, that's what debates are for.

religious, cochlear implants, abortion threads are always going to be one hot topic, there's always argument, there's nothing you can do about it, there's gonna be people who are going to disagree with your point of view, no matter where they get their source of facts from.

Cheri,

The idea of the Bible, or mainly religion, being a myth can not be compared to the typical Christian response such as:

Person A: I think God exists.
Person B: Why do you think that?
Person A: Well, he died for our sins and all ya know? The bible says so.
Person B: pif, that book isn't real science proves God doesn't exist.

The establishment of what is a myth is entirely derived from fields of studies, logic, reasoning, and conclusions. It is similar to connecting the dots. People opposed to the Bible, or mainly religion, are doing just that. However, I've yet to see any Christian here put up a good set of proofs and arguments that would make an Atheist stammer in their speech (or signing, if you will). The only evidence a Christian has is the Bible. I've often ask them (Reba, Cheri, Defee, DeafChristLove, etc.) to go beyond the Bible but many do not wish to.

Growing up , my mom always taught me this...3 things that should never be discussed at family gatherings, socials or at dinner..they are:

Abortion
Religion
Politics

She learned that from her dad who would lose his temper over discussion of those 3 and according to her, it wasnt pretty.

I would say cochlear implants falls within the political category? Or is it a category itself?

I've often ask them (Reba, Cheri, Defee, DeafChristLove, etc.) to go beyond the Bible but many do not wish to.

How are we suppose to go beyond the bible when we never lived during the time Jesus was around either have you to determined it. The bible been around for years during the time Jesus was around. We as Christians follow the bible, You as "whatever" can follow "whatever". ;)

I agree with you more, Cheri. We don't go beyond the Bible. As for Yizzfer, I couldn't put a finger about that guy. It's the same way. I don't care who any of us is. Sometimes there is a good pointer by answering the question, but claiming it isn't fit the question. Sometimes knowing christian does have a good point, but taking a mock out of it to claim others has a good point, but not really meant it. And even, taking out of anger or revenge to blame and timidating christians bec their experiencing of their growing up what they have going through and take it a blame on christians.
Yes, it will be always a debative issues. And how Cheri explained, its what I see myself on the thread. It will be always debative, and like Moses, Daniel, even many have witnessed Jesus ascension, yet, some still not believe. Whether proof or no proof, will not change anything. Pharoah saw his proof, yet not believe, hebrews saw the poer of God, some still doubt. Like I said, whether proof or no proof will not change someone's mind.​

How are we suppose to go beyond the bible when we never lived during the time Jesus was around either have you to determined it. The bible been around for years during the time Jesus was around. We as Christians follow the bible, You as "whatever" can follow "whatever". ;)

The same way the scientists came up with theories that explains how point a went to point b.

Just because someone weren't around that time frame doesn't mean we can't study to find the answers.

Growing up , my mom always taught me ---
I would say cochlear implants falls within the political category? Or is it a category itself?

There are politics behind it just like anything of discussion that has strong opinions but I think it should have it's own category. It's more of a moral debate of what's right for your kid, should you do it while it's best to or wait on the childs deciscion when said child is old enough to decide. Nothing to do with economics or the silly stuff politics regard.

Sometimes i take a debate i have with myself to the extremes and go as far as saying 'just maybe there's no such thing as right or wrong, maybe it's just all about survival' problem? We're civilized now, it's no longer about survival. At least to the degree. We created a whole 'nother can of worms. I think the mentality is peaceful coexistence and balance. Funny, we lack that - You got rich and poor people, different ethecities and religions. It no longer becomes simple, it becomes complex then you throw the human psyche into the mix. At times almost unstable and immensely powerful emotions.

I beg the question are we an anormality on this planet or did we even belong here in the first place? Barely anything comes close to touching what we have achieved as people, opinion or fact indeed. Who's fit to lead and who needs to follow. I really don't think any of us are fit to lead, some wise man probably thought this up while writing the bible and figured that humans are imperfect so he needed to make a perfect image of a human to lead us, a theory on religion I have really. I could go on and on but that would stray further and further from my original intention of a discussion. One thing will branch off into another so ... er yeah.

Back