Facebook Messenger

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
In a breathtakingly creepy invasion of privacy, Facebook is forcing all smartphone users to download a new messaging app. The Android version of the app -- and to a lesser extent the iPhone version as well -- allows Facebook to access your phone camera and record audio, call and send messages without your permission, identify details about you and all your contacts, and send that info on to third parties.

Facebook: stop forcing users to download this creepy app! | SumOfUs

snopes.com: Facebook Messenger

Should I delete FB messenger app in my mobile?

Yikes!
Frightning possibilities for a company that already tried to make some users depressed just because they could! https://www.yahoo.com/tech/facebook-under-fire-for-creepy-psychological-study-90350294224.html
Facebook probably thinks George Orwell's 'big brother' is a role model.
Are they going request you buy a certain product or they will text your mom pictures from the bar?
Or send a breakup text for more dramatic posts?
Video capability?????!!! What for???!

I downloaded the Messenger App, then realised it was taking over my fone - especially with that floating bubble thing.
Needless to say, it soon got uninstalled.
I ended up deleting all of the FB updates and restoring it to the factory version - no annoying adverts!

somewhere on fb or google you can disable it,i did yesterday but wish could remember how

You can always use the mobile version of the site if you're skeptical about Facebook's benevolence. The mobile site doesn't have access to the phone's ecosystem, so therefore it cannot spy on you or read any data off the phone.

Facebook is right, though. The way Android's security and permission systems are set up, they have no choice but to use certain portions of the phone's capabilities to provide you real-time update for when you get a message. Android phones don't have the push capability that iOS has, so apps have to run in the background in order for certain features to work.

Google definitely needs to make the permission system more flexible like Apple's iOS, instead of giving carte blanche access to everything all at once.

Big brothers are watching... pretty certain that Facebook isn't the only one doing this.

I have the FB app itself it kept reminding me to install the messenger app that the messages features in the main FB app would be turned off. Well it was turned off yesterday and said I HAVE to install messenger to use messages. Nope not gonna do it I read all the stuff and they have access to everything on your cell and can use it at will.

There is different apps that can access your camera, contact list, photos, and other stuffs you have in your phone.

There's no such thing as privacy anymore.

I think that if you have an Iphone, there are ways to disable some of those things. Don't take that as gospel though. I also hear that soon, you won't be able to use the chat/messaging feature at all if you don't have the app. I guess you've got to pick your battles and decide if facebook chatting on your phone at all is worth that.

oh please! :roll:

what's with this OMGWTF reaction when it comes to privacy? you have no problem giving companies (phone, tv, etc) your entire information like SSN, name, address, etc. and in return - they will monitor and keep record of you and yet... you're panicking and getting upset over this FB messenger?

in cyber world - you are identified as a NUMBER. you are anonymous and nobody is really watching you. you are just a number to them and computers are just collecting everybody's data for infographic purpose in order for companies to make better products for you.

what you should be concerned is government spying on you... not companies.

Companies "spy" on you to make a better service/product for you.
Government "spy" on you to make your life a living hell.
BIG DIFFERENCE.

You don't have FB, so, you go back to old way by text individual "I went to dinner. lol wut?" to everybody?

I have never had FB. I use e-mail and text messaging, and that's more than good enough for me.

I have Facebook, but I don't use it as religiously as everyone else.

Back