Facebook bans teacher&student for friends

sara1981

Reaction score
Nixon bans Teacher-Student Friendships on Social Networking Sites
Nixon bans Teacher-Student Friendships on Social Networking Sites - kspr.com

NIXA, Mo.— A new Missouri law is forbidding friendship between teachers and students, at least on Facebook.

It's part of a bill Governor Jay Nixon just signed designed to more clearly define teacher-student boundaries.

Senate Bill 54 is not specific to Facebook but rather any kind of social networking that is exclusive and allows for private communcation.

The problem lies in the details, or rather the lack of details.

On one of the hottest days of the year a little friendly exchange is about the only thing that helps pass yet another grueling eight hour day on the Nixa High School football field.

"I'll see them more than I'll see my own kids and they'll see me more than their own parent."

So Band Director Craig Finger is friendly, but he's not a friend.

"I mean if you ask any one of these kids it's very clear we're not friends," he tells us; not on the field, not on Facebook.

"We don't friend any students," says Finger. "If you haven't graduated we're not friends. I think the only people I've friended under 18 are my niece and nephew."

So Finger will have no problem complying with the new Missouri law forbidding most online communication between teachers and students; neither will the Nixa School District, provided there's some clarification.

"This bill does leave a few gray areas," explains Zac Rantz, district spokesperson.

Like whose students? Your students?

"It says current and former students, that's what the bill reads. Does that mean students you've had in the classroom, the school district? What if you've changed school districts?" Rantz continues.

And what if you use sites like Facebook to disseminate valuable information? Nixa does.

So did Joplin. Joplin middle school teacher Randy Turner blogs the law is misguided, crediting Facebook friendships between teachers and students with helping the district locate kids after the devastating tornado there.

Not all teacher-student contact on Facebook is prohibited by this law, just direct contact. For example, a teacher cannot be friends with a student on a private Facebook profile where you can pick and choose friends and send private messages, but teachers can set up a fan page. It's open to the public, and anyone can like it.

That's exactly what the Nixa band has done.

"I think we have 800 people following us on Facebook," Finger says.

None of them are friends.

"I'm more formal with my students."

It ensures the only lines crossed are the ones on the football field.

The band also has a Twitter account, website, and email newsletter.

Governor Nixon signed the law last week. On its heels, a Herman missouri man- former band director with the Gasconade School District- is accused of sending sexually explicit text messages to a 16-year-old girl.

The bill called the "Amy Hestir Student Protection Act" doesn't ax all phone calls and texts between teachers and students; it just requires they are kept appropriate.

That good for Missouri know best for teachers not chat to students or any workers connect students like flirt or friends,whatevers..

So it's not a Facebook ban it's just one place trying to control the Internet, well good luck with that. What is it with incorrect and inflammatory headlines in the news at the moment?

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

There goes another communisim going on.

So it's not a Facebook ban it's just one place trying to control the Internet, well good luck with that. What is it with incorrect and inflammatory headlines in the news at the moment?
That threw me at first, too.

Several school district already have this in place. I know FSDB staff are not allowed to friend the students on Facebook.

Several school district already have this in place. I know FSDB staff are not allowed to friend the students on Facebook.
sound I agree you staff broken law because school trouble! professional otherwise important personal prevent to student!

sound I agree you staff broken law because school trouble! professional otherwise important personal prevent to student!

Exactly. Teachers needs to stay on a professional level with their students. Becoming friends with them creates issues and conflict of interest.

Exactly. Teachers needs to stay on a professional level with their students. Becoming friends with them creates issues and conflict of interest.

Surely kids aged 13 or over can make up their own mind whether a teacher is a friend or not?

You have to be over 13 to on Facebook, so it's not like young kids are on there. Even then the parents are monitoring their childs account, if not hey should be!

Its one thing to have your teacher as a idol figure, an inspiration to bettering yourself, sharing laughs, this and that, but outside of school and being a minor? no thats not ok.

As a substitute teacher, I never friend any CURRENT students on FB. If they send me a friend request, I send them a private message to the politely explaining to them why I can't friend them on FB. I have to draw the line between work and private life. Many of them understand, a few of them have thought I was being 'stuck up'. To me, it's about ethics. That line between teacher and student has to be drawn somewhere.

I can be friendly to them, I just can't be their friend. I agree with this law. All too often we read headlines about teachers going too far with a student and is either accused of wrongdoing, or is found guilty of wrongdoing after a thorough investigation. I never give my cell phone number out to students, they are however welcome to call my home phone which is listed in the phone book.

its gonna be a sticky situation later on

Yeah, especially for DHH students and their teachers of the deaf because they typically share closer bonds on cultural grounds. Though, it's best to wait until after graduation.

Well - I can see a problem already. I am friends with a bunch of my daughter's old teachers and they are already friends with a bunch of their students, current and past. Also all the students are also friends with the administrators of the schools. This is all in Missouri.

Surely kids aged 13 or over can make up their own mind whether a teacher is a friend or not?

You have to be over 13 to on Facebook, so it's not like young kids are on there. Even then the parents are monitoring their childs account, if not hey should be!

I would agreed

many million parents always watch kids's FB monitor all the times its so important if know who connect like friends or family but not teachers..

I think it is a good law to enact.. it's a little unclear, though. Teachers have no reason to be 'friends' with their students on social networking sites... as for parent-teacher, that's different-- though I'd wait until after the school year was over.

I don't believe such a law is necessary. It would be much more suitable if it was enforced as a school policy instead.

I don't believe such a law is necessary. It would be much more suitable if it was enforced as a school policy instead.

this is serious laws!

many million teachers cant request friends to students underages during school years if teachers can get fired for request student on FB as friends or have sexual its school district policy and plus laws!

I think Missouri governor have rightsful not allowed teacher request student as facebook friend during school years till graduate..

my younger cousin Abby also join facebook but her mom always watch facebook all the times many million parents know best must watchful kids use facebook on monitor but my cousin Abby is now 13 she will be 14 this Sept 24 she is big girl enough but she cant talk stranger people but she can talk family or friend that fine.

this is serious laws!

many million teachers cant request friends to students underages during school years if teachers can get fired for request student on FB as friends or have sexual its school district policy and plus laws!

I think Missouri governor have rightsful not allowed teacher request student as facebook friend during school years till graduate..

my younger cousin Abby also join facebook but her mom always watch facebook all the times many million parents know best must watchful kids use facebook on monitor but my cousin Abby is now 13 she will be 14 this Sept 24 she is big girl enough but she cant talk stranger people but she can talk family or friend that fine.

But how would the law itself protect the minors? It is a policy that should be enforced by the school board, not the government.

Back