Face transplants could one day be routine

~SG~

Premium Member
Reaction score
LONDON - Transplanting faces may seem like science fiction, but doctors say the experimental surgeries could one day become routine.

Two of the world's three teams that have done partial face transplants reported Friday that their techniques were surprisingly effective, though complications exist and more work is still needed.

"There is no reason to think these face transplants would not be as common as kidney or liver transplants one day," said Dr. Laurent Lantieri, one of the French doctors who operated on a man severely disfigured by a genetic disease.

In Friday's issue of the British medical journal Lancet, Lantieri and colleagues reported on their patient's status one year after the transplant. Chinese doctors also reported on their patient, Li Guoxing, two years after his surgery.

Read more about this at this source link: Face transplants could one day be routine - More health news - MSNBC.com

Similiar to the movie that I have seen "Face off". They do surgery to take the face off and swap to other person. Sound scary!

I won't be surprised if America's Top Ten Most Wanted took advantage of this. :Ohno:

For those who've had terrible accidents and have been left disfigured, sure it's fine, and an amazing thing for them. :)

But there's the chances it could go into the wrong hands, criminals, even terrorists would seize this opportunity to make their most wanted look like someone else, as VamPyroX said.

There's also the cosmetic side--to make someone look more "beautiful". That, I don't agree with. I'd hate to see faces being hijacked for the beauty industry. Imagine the advertisement....

Do you look like this?
ugly_person.jpg

When you could look like this?
Whitney.jpg

Call 555-FACEOFF to look beautiful today!

:roll: I wouldn't be surprised if it came to that. I sure to God hope not, though.

For those who've had terrible accidents and have been left disfigured, sure it's fine, and an amazing thing for them. :)

But there's the chances it could go into the wrong hands, criminals, even terrorists would seize this opportunity to make their most wanted look like someone else, as VamPyroX said.

There's also the cosmetic side--to make someone look more "beautiful". That, I don't agree with. I'd hate to see faces being hijacked for the beauty industry. Imagine the advertisement....

Do you look like this?
ugly_person.jpg

Actually, the technology is already available for those who are wishing to change their facial appearance to avoid apprehension by the law. It has been available for years, and has been used for years. In fact, the witness protection program often provides for cosmetic surgery to effectively alter the appearance. It doesn't take a complete "face transplant".

When an individual receives a transplant of this nature, it is only the skin and soft tissue that is transplanted. The bone structure underneath remains unaltered. The skin adheres to the individual's original bone structure. It is the bone structure that determines what one looks like. Therefore, someone receiving a "face transplant" will not look like the donor; they will look like themselves because they retain their original bone structure.

Ah, I was thinking they might include synthetic bone, too.
I hope not! I think there should be certain regulations on who needs it, most definitely.

..by the way, how do you sign "Face transplant"?!

Back