extreme ear pain...

to the op: it's very possible to have what is known as an external ear infection meaning that it can cause pain whenever the ear is touched. do you experience any pain when you touch your ear?

No, doesn't hurt on the outside just all the way in the inside (you know where that piece of cartilage sticks out on the inside part of the outer ear-go right to the side of that, and all the way inside the ear-THAT is where it hurts-all the way inside of my head and once in a while it feels like the pain wants to go down my throat but doesn't). It doesn't even feel like my ear is blocked, but I'm not hearing that great out of it with my aids on now at all. No discharge or anything...just crazy intense pain.

i had similar ear pain the other day (where it felt as if it were near my throat), but it went away in 24 hours.

If you are a college student now, I am sure that a doctor's office on the campus opens 7 times a week included the weekend. (I think that it's the law.)

If you are a college student now, I am sure that a doctor's office on the campus opens 7 times a week included the weekend. (I think that it's the law.)

Hmm. Ours is only open mon-fri 8-4. I'll have to investigate that law...I think it's crazy that the center isn't open longer-especially since we have over 15000 students here! I think that's because we have a hospital within walking distance-however I really can't pay for an ER visit, so I'll just dope it up on ibuprofen and the water bottle until Monday (that's only two days away-I'll make it!)

No, doesn't hurt on the outside just all the way in the inside (you know where that piece of cartilage sticks out on the inside part of the outer ear-go right to the side of that, and all the way inside the ear-THAT is where it hurts-all the way inside of my head and once in a while it feels like the pain wants to go down my throat but doesn't). It doesn't even feel like my ear is blocked, but I'm not hearing that great out of it with my aids on now at all. No discharge or anything...just crazy intense pain.

It sounds bad to me. I think that you should get antibiotic medicine today. If the doctor cannot give you the medicine, then you might want to call your parent to talk with your doctor. You know some doctors are not doing a good job.

Hmm. Ours is only open mon-fri 8-4. I'll have to investigate that law...I think it's crazy that the center isn't open longer-especially since we have over 15000 students here! I think that's because we have a hospital within walking distance-however I really can't pay for an ER visit, so I'll just dope it up on ibuprofen and the water bottle until Monday (that's only two days away-I'll make it!)

you could always go to the er and claim yourself as an indigent. the er can't refuse to treat you if you are unable to pay. it's against the law.

HOH33Star, You need to go doctor to take a ear drop medicine. Do you have a sinus infection?? I offer you to go doctor. You have to pay the bills that's simple. Do you have medicare or medicaid?

Did you clean your ears of outer and middle canal? Can you use a Swab or Q-Tip? You have to clean your ears everyday. If you don't clean your ears. It will cause build the wax affect the ear infection. It happened to me before. The important is take care of your ears and canal. Do not get deep into inner ear canal. Because it's eardrum. It will hurt a little. Just be careful and gentle with Q-tip in the middle ear canal.

If your ear is still hurt then don't wear hearing aid for few days until your ear get heal by drop medicine.

have you ever had any ear pain like this?

I get ear pain like this with sinus infections. It's also possible that your sinus's are trying to drain down and they are clogged causing ear pain. Mine lasted for about 2 weeks until the antibiotics cleared up the sinus infection

I would not recommend a q tip at ALL there was a man recently who ruptured his ear drum with a q tip and got meningitis from it

I get ear pain like this with sinus infections. It's also possible that your sinus's are trying to drain down and they are clogged causing ear pain. Mine lasted for about 2 weeks until the antibiotics cleared up the sinus infection

I would not recommend a q tip at ALL there was a man recently who ruptured his ear drum with a q tip and got meningitis from it

Everyone are different individual. I never get meningitis from this before. I did touch the inner. I avoid it because it's hurt. He should Never TOUCH the inner ear near to eardrum!

Mostly all people who wore hearing aids a long time are using a Q-tip. You must be careful of course, but need to clean the ear wax.

I'm not kidding at all. We go once a month so my 3 year old can have her ears cleaned out by the MD because of it. And he's told us horror stories that he's seen himself. She gets hard balls of wax in her ears and he puts this spray in it and then suctions out the wax and then uses and thingy to get it out

There are no proven ways to prevent cerumen impaction, but not inserting cotton-tipped swabs or other objects in the ear canal is strongly advised. Individuals at high risk, e.g., hearing-aid users, should consider seeing a clinician every six to 12 months for routine cleaning.

Sorry I'm not meaning to be a know it all but I don't want ANYONE to get hurt or cause more hearing problems then they already have because they don't know what the damage could be kwim?

Mostly all people who wore hearing aids a long time are using a Q-tip. You must be careful of course, but need to clean the ear wax.

Do any of you NOT really have any ear wax? I know that sounds weird...but my ears don't seem to make any (even when I clean my ears with a Q-tip, nothing is there!) Is that weird...or normal? There's not normally anything on my ear molds either when I pull them out at teh end of the day...

Do any of you NOT really have any ear wax? I know that sounds weird...but my ears don't seem to make any (even when I clean my ears with a Q-tip, nothing is there!) Is that weird...or normal? There's not normally anything on my ear molds either when I pull them out at teh end of the day...

Earmolds do cause it to build up. So I think most deal with it at home. I think it is the body defense against the insert in the ear.

I'm not kidding at all. We go once a month so my 3 year old can have her ears cleaned out by the MD because of it. And he's told us horror stories that he's seen himself. She gets hard balls of wax in her ears and he puts this spray in it and then suctions out the wax and then uses and thingy to get it out

i'm not at all surprised by this, alisteal. when i still wore hearing aids, i had to go to my ent every month to have my ears cleaned because if i didn't, i would have ear infections. it seemed that when i did this, my ent always told me my ears looked clean, but if i didn't, i'd have constant, severe ear infections of some kind.

Earmolds do cause it to build up. So I think most deal with it at home. I think it is the body defense against the insert in the ear.

Yes, that's what my Mom told me. It's a natural defense. A built-up wax can be uncomfortable. I have a small otoscope (from eBay). I asked her to look in my ear, and she said that I had a little wax. That's why it bothered me so I had to use the Q-tip to clean it out with a little warm water on the Q-tip. Pinky is also right what she said about it on the post.

You know ER price can be terrible price. For example, I had a first visit appointment which cost 400 dollars to have a doctor to look inside my nasal. If you were at the ER, I would probably say that it would cost a lot more than a first visit - maybe $800 to $1,000.

A Walk-in clinic might be okay instead of ER.

you could always go to the er and claim yourself as an indigent. the er can't refuse to treat you if you are unable to pay. it's against the law.

Right, but it would affect her credit account as a collaborative credit on the record if she cannot afford it. I mean if she goes to the ER.

Off topic: The banks and credit card companies look up on a person's collaborative credit account up to see whether a person has a financial history problem especially finding a job. The credit card companies love to give more credit cards to people who are stuck with their money problem - I know this does not make sense. The job interviewers don't hire people who have a financial problem - I found out a month ago on CBS News. Wow.

Right, but it would affect her credit account as a collaborative credit on the record if she cannot afford it. I mean if she goes to the ER.

Off topic: The banks and credit card companies look up on a person's collaborative credit account up to see whether a person has a financial history problem especially finding a job. The credit card companies love to give more credit cards to people who are stuck with their money problem - I know this does not make sense. The job interviewers don't hire people who have a financial problem - I found out a month ago on CBS News. Wow.

no, it wouldn't. if a person cannot afford treatment at the er, they can always make payment arrangements. it's against the law for the er to refuse treatment to anyone. besides, a hospital would rather accept $20/month as payment for their services instead of nothing at all. aside from that, a hospital cannot prove someone isn't an indigent since they have no access to their personal assets or insurance records if that individual doesn't provide an insurance card. if a hospital requests a social security number, a person can always lie and say they don't have one.

Back