extreme ear pain...

HOH33stars

Reaction score
Quick question for you all.
I just finished having bronchitis (I'm still coughing, just not as bad)-I wasn't sick in any other way through (nose, fever, sore throat, nothing-just a nasty cough). Anyway, last Friday my ear started hurting insanely. By Sunday I realized I wasn't hearing much out of it at all even with my hearing aid. Monday I had my audi look inside-he said he didn't see any fluid or redness (he did a tymp also, and said it didn't give any indication of a middle ear infection).
I still have this severe pain in my ear (I thought it would just go since my chest cough has been going away). It's not really happening though. It feels like the inside of my ear inside my head is throbbing to the point where I don't like even opening up my mouth all the way because it hurts. It's not my jaw-it's higher than that (I thought maybe I chewed something the wrong way).
ANYWAY-my audi suggested just giving that ear a break from my aid to see if that helps. Does anyone else have any suggestions? I also went and got ear pain drops and ibuprofen...they're not really touching it though. Anyone know what it might be so I can make it go away? (I'm planning on going to the health center here on campus on monday hopefully but i was hoping to try to find some way to fix it soon).

You might want to try a Q-tip with a little hot water. A little bit squeeze on the Q-tip to take some water out, and insert it inside your ear - not too deep. Rub around it gently. This is a temporary.

Also, you might want to use a rubber water bottle with some hot water. Put it on your ear/throat. It is also a temporary. If you don't have the rubber bottle, you could use the washcloth.

Please let me know after you feel with these stuff.

i've been doing that...i've actually been sleeping with the water bottle because it helps ease the pain enough to sleep...it lasts for about an hour then it comes back.
have you ever experienced this? is this normal with hearing aids? (i've had them since sept...this is the first time though that i've had inner ear pain like this)...

You just have to keep it warm again for another hour. I had the same problem a couple of years ago. It was no fun at all for one or two days. You might get a sore throat next day, but it is not always happen. I bet that you didn't get enough sleep like spending your time all day with your friends at late hours like until 2 a.m. everyday for example because of weaken immune system.

Maybe, your room is too dry - you might need a humidifier. It should be between 40% to 50% (humidity percent). This is only for winter season.

I wonder if you took a shower, then you went out for a walk outside with cold weather without wearing your hearing aids. Is that how it happened? If yes, you have to keep your ears dry first before put your hearing aids on before you go outside. This is how I learned my lesson.

I've been using a humidifer (I thought the same thing-I also thought maybe it was all of my coughing just irritating it...it's been over a week now though of waiting for it to just "go away"). I shower at night before bed and in the morning I normally put my aids in, then put my winter hat over top of them, then go outside...I dont know if thats a bad thing or not lol...

if i were you, i'd continue taking the ear drops and ibuprofin. if your symptoms don't improve in another 2-3 days, i'd go to an ENT.

You might want to try a Q-tip with a little hot water. A little bit squeeze on the Q-tip to take some water out, and insert it inside your ear - not too deep. Rub around it gently. This is a temporary.

Also, you might want to use a rubber water bottle with some hot water. Put it on your ear/throat. It is also a temporary. If you don't have the rubber bottle, you could use the washcloth.

Please let me know after you feel with these stuff.

i've been doing that...i've actually been sleeping with the water bottle because it helps ease the pain enough to sleep...it lasts for about an hour then it comes back.
have you ever experienced this? is this normal with hearing aids? (i've had them since sept...this is the first time though that i've had inner ear pain like this)...

I don't like the idea of putting something in your ears, even gently, because you could accidently rupture your ear drum or otherwise cause damage. I would do as the poster above suggested. Continue whatever meds you're taking and see a doctor if it doesn't get better.

if i were you, i'd continue taking the ear drops and ibuprofin. if your symptoms don't improve in another 2-3 days, i'd go to an ENT.

Thanks. yeah i plan on calling the office if it doesn't get better. by the way, my ENT (the one who was trying to figure out what was wrong and said to just "wait and see" and all that stuff)-yeah he got fired.
have you ever had any ear pain like this?

Oh brother! How about this one - do you have a stuffy nose? Maybe, you have some wax in your ear. If no, then I have no clue.

Oh brother! How about this one - do you have a stuffy nose? If no, then I have no clue.

not really. i can breathe through my nose fine-it's a little stuffed because of the cold, but nothing out of the ordinary. it's only in my right ear also...my left one is fine.

not really. i can breathe through my nose fine-it's a little stuffed because of the cold, but nothing out of the ordinary. it's only in my right ear also...my left one is fine.

I just edited my post to be added for an ear wax...

I just edited my post to be added for an ear wax...

again i don't know. ear wax wise...i don't really make any. i clean my ears and there's never anything. i figured the pain would just go away because the audi looked inside with the light and did the tymp and he said he didn't see anything. so keep waiting for it to go away. it's not even like it's irritated, it feels like this constant hurting pain further inside (not even close to the surface). so i don't know. i just keep thinking it'll go away lol.

I think eustachian tube and you should see your MD for ear infection and your audiologist should have said so to you. Odd.

I think eustachian tube and you should see your MD for ear infection and your audiologist should have said so to you. Odd.

he said because there doesn't appear to be any fluid that he could see (my eardrum wasn't red or anything) and the tymp didn't show any fluid behind the eardrum it shouldn't be an infection of at least the middle ear. he didn't really say anything else though.

he said because there doesn't appear to be any fluid that he could see (my eardrum wasn't red or anything) and the tymp didn't show any fluid behind the eardrum it shouldn't be an infection of at least the middle ear. he didn't really say anything else though.

Basic Anatomy

In the adult, the eustachian tube can be visualized as two truncated cones attached at their narrowed ends. It runs from the middle ear to the nasopharynx and is approximately 31-38 mm in length. Its lumen is roughly triangular and has average diameter of 2-3 mm. The lumen is lined by ciliated psuedostratified, columnar epithelium, which sweeps material from the middle ear to the nasopharynx. Mucous glands predominate near the pharyngeal orifice, and there is a gradual change to a mixture of goblet, columnar, and ciliated cells as the middle ear is approached.

The eustachian tube is composed of an osseous and a cartilaginous portion. The osseous eustachian tube or protympanum measures 11 to 14 mm and extends from the anterior and medial portion of the petrous temporal bone. Its orifice is oval shaped, measures 5 x 2 mm and is located above the floor of the middle ear space. When healthly, the osseous portion of the eustachian tube is always patent. The cartilaginous portion measures 20-25 mm and opens into the nasopharynx approximately 10 mm above the plane of the hard palate. The cartilage protrudes into the nasopharynx, and the protruding portion is known as the torus tubarius. The fossa of Rosenmuller is this area in the nasopharynx superior to the torus tubaris.
Eustachian Tube Function and Dysfunction:

This explains a little. You need an MD>

Basic Anatomy

In the adult, the eustachian tube can be visualized as two truncated cones attached at their narrowed ends. It runs from the middle ear to the nasopharynx and is approximately 31-38 mm in length. Its lumen is roughly triangular and has average diameter of 2-3 mm. The lumen is lined by ciliated psuedostratified, columnar epithelium, which sweeps material from the middle ear to the nasopharynx. Mucous glands predominate near the pharyngeal orifice, and there is a gradual change to a mixture of goblet, columnar, and ciliated cells as the middle ear is approached.

The eustachian tube is composed of an osseous and a cartilaginous portion. The osseous eustachian tube or protympanum measures 11 to 14 mm and extends from the anterior and medial portion of the petrous temporal bone. Its orifice is oval shaped, measures 5 x 2 mm and is located above the floor of the middle ear space. When healthly, the osseous portion of the eustachian tube is always patent. The cartilaginous portion measures 20-25 mm and opens into the nasopharynx approximately 10 mm above the plane of the hard palate. The cartilage protrudes into the nasopharynx, and the protruding portion is known as the torus tubarius. The fossa of Rosenmuller is this area in the nasopharynx superior to the torus tubaris.
Eustachian Tube Function and Dysfunction:

This explains a little. You need an MD>

WOW! haha...thanks! i'll head to the health center monday to see the MD there...

Thanks. yeah i plan on calling the office if it doesn't get better. by the way, my ENT (the one who was trying to figure out what was wrong and said to just "wait and see" and all that stuff)-yeah he got fired.
have you ever had any ear pain like this?

i've had similar ear pain many times, but in my case, it was due to an ear infection.

I don't like the idea of putting something in your ears, even gently, because you could accidently rupture your ear drum or otherwise cause damage. I would do as the poster above suggested. Continue whatever meds you're taking and see a doctor if it doesn't get better.

i was just about to suggest the same thing. one should NEVER put a q-tip or other object in their ears.

Other disadvantage of putting q-tips is that cotton can easily fall off or break off, get stuck in the ear canal which could cause infection.

Sounds like you have an ear infection, I had one sided ear infection, no red, no fluid just swelling down my ear/neck and it was painful. Doc gave me anti bios which cleared it up in no time.

to the op: it's very possible to have what is known as an external ear infection meaning that it can cause pain whenever the ear is touched. do you experience any pain when you touch your ear?

Back