Extreme Couponing

No, it's the other way around. I live just outside D.C., near Alexandria. We get Baltimore and D.C. stations perfectly fine Over the Air (OTA). All in HDTV. We have a huge antenna up in the attic.

But we spend our summers in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and that is very remote. The only channel we could get OTA there is the educational programming channel. I think that's based in Raleigh, which seems far away, so I'm not quite sure about that.

Anyway, if we want to watch anything at all there besides that one channel, we have to have cable or dish. We have cable.

Ah. Guess my guess is a little off.

Coupons are useful only if you know how to use them wisely. Many times people just use them without taking into consideration when the items might be put on sale for an even deeper discount. Or sometimes you can 'price match' an item and then coupon it. Sometimes you might be able to double up a coupon that says purchase '2' items. You get the store discount for the 2 items, then use the coupons on each individual item. Also buy only what you will actually use and keep an eye on expiration dates. Usually the bigger coupons expire sooner than those with just 5 or 10 cents off.

Here's what I would do - Walmart has various items in HBA on sale for a weekend. I take my coupons for Pantene Pro-V with me and I find that it's on sale. The family size bottle is marked '10% free', the coupon I have is 25 cents off, the sale has further reduced the item another 10%. The regular price is $4.00 (for example only). This means:
$4.00
$3.75
-0.37 (10% from $3.75)
$3.38
-0.33 (10% 'free')
$3.05 <--- What I paid for family size bottle of Pantene Pro-V Shampoo

Walmart has an 'Equate' store brand variety of similar size for $3.15. I managed to purchase the name brand item for 10 cents less than the store brand item. BUT I saved a total of 95 cents off the name-brand item. Is this a deal or a doozy? What information I don't have is the per unit price which is found inside the yellow square on the shelf tag label. This will tell what the price is per ounce. A lot of times the price per unit will tell you the full story of what you are really getting. Sometimes the off-brand item is more expensive per unit than the name-brand item with manufacturer coupons.

Coupons are useful only if you know how to use them wisely. Many times people just use them without taking into consideration when the items might be put on sale for an even deeper discount. Or sometimes you can 'price match' an item and then coupon it. Sometimes you might be able to double up a coupon that says purchase '2' items. You get the store discount for the 2 items, then use the coupons on each individual item. Also buy only what you will actually use and keep an eye on expiration dates. Usually the bigger coupons expire sooner than those with just 5 or 10 cents off.

Here's what I would do - Walmart has various items in HBA on sale for a weekend. I take my coupons for Pantene Pro-V with me and I find that it's on sale. The family size bottle is marked '10% free', the coupon I have is 25 cents off, the sale has further reduced the item another 10%. The regular price is $4.00 (for example only). This means:
$4.00
$3.75
-0.37 (10% from $3.75)
$3.38
-0.33 (10% 'free')
$3.05 <--- What I paid for family size bottle of Pantene Pro-V Shampoo

Walmart has an 'Equate' store brand variety of similar size for $3.15. I managed to purchase the name brand item for 10 cents less than the store brand item. BUT I saved a total of 95 cents off the name-brand item. Is this a deal or a doozy? What information I don't have is the per unit price which is found inside the yellow square on the shelf tag label. This will tell what the price is per ounce. A lot of times the price per unit will tell you the full story of what you are really getting. Sometimes the off-brand item is more expensive per unit than the name-brand item with manufacturer coupons.
:gpost: i use unit prices all the time.

:gpost: i use unit prices all the time.

I don't often use coupons cuz the the ones that seem to come in my mail seem to be for processed foods rather than foods I want to buy but I will use them to buy favorite brands.

crazzzy

well i live in canada and here you cant use coupons if the store already has a special..I think its unreal how much people can save!!!!!yOU have to really have alot of time i guess but Im all about getting a deal lol

well i live in canada and here you cant use coupons if the store already has a special..I think its unreal how much people can save!!!!!yOU have to really have alot of time i guess but Im all about getting a deal lol

I've done it on a lot of occasions without a problem. I live in Canada.

Maybe it is only for your province? But I still can't imagine why Canada would put such a barrier to consumers in this sucky world economy we've got going on.

But then again a person is more likely to go from rags to riches in Canada than in the United States. :|

No, it's the other way around. I live just outside D.C., near Alexandria. We get Baltimore and D.C. stations perfectly fine Over the Air (OTA). All in HDTV. We have a huge antenna up in the attic.

But we spend our summers in the Outer Banks of North Carolina, and that is very remote. The only channel we could get OTA there is the educational programming channel. I think that's based in Raleigh, which seems far away, so I'm not quite sure about that.

Anyway, if we want to watch anything at all there besides that one channel, we have to have cable or dish. We have cable.

You live in Crystal City?

I have a friend that used to live in Fredericksburg.

It's pretty. I love Alexandria, really love Virginia generally. I am never, ever going back to live in the land where you have to put flags on the fire hydrants to find them in winter (aka Michigan - gorgeous place in the summer, but I am over those winters).

in VA? I have been to it once or twice.

Yes. She lived in Fredericksburg and worked in D.C. She's since moved back though and is engaged to an Aussie. When they are married they plan to move to Australia I believe.

I use to use coupons a lot but now you have to buy 3 or 4 items to save one dollar! It is not a saving at all!

Depends how fast you'd use it up.

Anything helps, really, much as I hate the darned things. If you use the product, a coupon never hurts.

I remember watching my Aunt clip coupons when I stayed overnight at her house as a child. She would have coupons all over her kitchen table. But then again she was a single mother raising a daughter by herself - coupons were a must in her household!

I love couponing. I started it almost three years ago. One of my greatest achievements is that I was able to buy $20 worth of items for 7 cent. Clerk gave me a evil eye. I was grinning the whole time.

Back