Expressions which not make sense deaf people

My favorite idioms:
Rocks my socks
holy snapping duck shit/poop (amend based upon your surroundings)
...or I will send you to the moon
makes my/your/their blood boil
chaps my ass
burned me/you/them
cat's out of the bag

You're the cat's pajamas. Tell me what that means. :lol:

I like to think that Botti is the cat's pajamas when it comes to English. i like to think that I'm the cat's meow when it comes to style.. but then I'm biased towards myself. :giggle:

I had to learn idioms with my TOD when I was in school. So I know a lot of them too.

"Raining like cats and dogs" is probably the foremost one that I remember.

Same here. I learned that one in the first grade.

I had to learn idioms with my TOD when I was in school. So I know a lot of them too.

"Raining like cats and dogs" is probably the foremost one that I remember.

"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." That one makes perfect sense, until they start to make you see the implications that are not literal.

I am not really a fan of idioms.

hit two birds with one stone
clean bill of health
sorry state of ass
boiling mad
caught my eyes
backseat driver

and so on...

I like metaphors way better. i'm making this up on the spot " He was he fire burning in my eyes", meaning that the person lived for the other, or the person was an annoyance. Idioms you cant just make up. they have to have been used for a long time

"People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." That one makes perfect sense, until they start to make you see the implications that are not literal.

I am not really a fan of idioms.

Same here. Nothing wrong with saying/writing just as it is.

There's not many idioms I don't understand, but there have been a couple, especially if I haven't heard them before.

All I can say here is don't get your knickers in a twist!

He/she's lost their marbles
Poop/Crap/shit's hit the fan
Hit the sack
Can of worms

There are some asian idioms that I know of too:
Wipe someone's butt for them (with toilet paper) - Chinese
Save a dead horse the way you save one alive - Chinese
Those who don't work, don't eat - Japanese (also biblical according to google)

^^^I adopted the British version... sounds snootier, LOL!

I think it has something to do with not letting your emotions show. Like your "poker face"!

I think it has something to do with not letting your emotions show. Like your "poker face"!

Ah, I see. trying to present yourself as being stronger than you really are to force your enemies to back down from a fight.

I don't play poker, so I don't have a poker face sadly. Maybe I can just keep my upper lip stiff. :lol:

"stiff upper lip" as I have always heard or used it is to suck it up and not fall apart, remain tough and unemotional even if you are upset or challenged ... kind of like 'keep your chin up'. Example: While everyone else was crying, Joe kept a stiff upper lip.

Back