Explosive wildfire in California

I sure I read about another fire in mid west

I sure I read about another fire in mid west

There are a lot of fires on the western side of the U.S. In several states.
I believe this one is the first to burn homes, or at least a significant number of homes in one area.

what is causing all this...I know California gets lots of fires but the small bit I read stated it was out of hand the fires in general

This morning update:

The bodies of two men have been recovered from the scorched wildland of the Valley Fire — bringing the death toll from the blaze to three, officials said Thursday.

The grim announcement came as the devastating fire in Lake County grew overnight by 3,500 acres.

Cal Fire officials said Thursday that the Valley fire grew overnight from 70,200 acres to 73,700 acres, or 115 square miles. While nearly a half-inch of rain fell in the area Wednesday, containment remained 35 percent Thursday morning, fire officials said.

Meanwhile, fire officials said the Butte Fire in Amador and Calaveras Counties in the Sierra foothills, which has been burning since Sept. 9, was 49 percent contained Thursday morning after burning 70,760 acres. The Butte Fire has also killed at least two people, whose bodies were recovered from the burn area Wednesday.

Pacific Gas and Electric Co. officials said Wednesday that one of the utility’s power lines may have sparked the Butte Fire. At a briefing, PG&E official Barry Anderson said a tree may have contacted an electrical line in the “vicinity of the ignition point” of the fire near Jackson in Amador County.

“We are cooperating fully with Cal Fire in an investigation of whether this could have been a source of ignition for the Butte Fire,” said Anderson, the company’s vice president of emergency preparedness and operations.

Meanwhile, the cause of the Valley Fire remains under investigation.

More here: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Second-body-found-in-Valley-Fire-that-has-burned-6511151.php

Do this happen every year in CaLifornia is it getting worse.I only mention fracking bc that the little I saw on news I not have clue connection..The fires although mentioned from time to time do not feature in main news unless watching fox or cnn I feel sorry for those involved.American weather is changing drastically in last ten years must be some reason

Do this happen every year in CaLifornia is it getting worse.I only mention fracking bc that the little I saw on news I not have clue connection..The fires although mentioned from time to time do not feature in main news unless watching fox or cnn I feel sorry for those involved.American weather is changing drastically in last ten years must be some reason

Yeah it happens every year in California. 2012 was the worst year.

Update:

Firefighters achieved 45 percent containment on the Valley Fire on Friday, preventing the wildland blaze that has killed at least three people and destroyed 585 homes from spreading and officials announced that residents of the devastated community of Middletown would be allowed to return Saturday to survey the damage.

The fire did not grow Friday from the 73,700 acres it has charred since it started Saturday afternoon near Middleton in Lake County and swept into Napa and Sonoma counties, officials said.

While cool weather and rain has helped in the fire fight, warmer weather is returning to the area. Temperatures are expected to hit the mid 80s on Saturday and the high 80s to low 90s on Sunday, said Nathan Owen, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Sacramento. Winds in the area, however, are expected to stay relatively calm.

“We continue to make good progress on containment as well as putting out hot spots and flare-ups of the fire. However, with temperatures on the rise we are very cautious right now to make sure we don’t see the fire activity pick up and possibly grow in size or jump our perimeter,” said Daniel Berlant, a spokesman for the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection.

Sheriff’s officials believe two bodies found Wednesday in the heavily burned Hidden Valley Lake and Anderson Springs areas are the remains of Leonard Neft and Bruce Beven Burns, who had been reported missing by their relatives.
The bodies have yet to be positively identified, and at least two other people remain unaccounted for.

Another person, Barbara McWilliams, 72, a retired teacher with multiple sclerosis, was killed Saturday when she became trapped in her Cobb home, officials said.
Residents were allowed back to Twin Lakes on Friday and evacuation orders for Middletown would be lifted at noon on Saturday, officials said.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Firefighters-achieve-40-percent-containment-on-6513569.php

Update:

The third most-destructive blaze in state history was 75 percent contained Tuesday morning as fire officials released a staggering tally showing the Valley Fire wiped out 1,325 homes and businesses.

The Lake County blaze — which ignited Sept. 12 near Middletown and killed three people — grew by 286 acres overnight.

The inferno that forced thousands of people from their homes has burned 76,067 acres of bone-dry wildland in Lake, Napa and Sonoma counties.

A devastating tally released by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection showed the blaze has destroyed 1,238 single-family homes, 23 multifamily homes and 64 commercial structures. Overall, the fire leveled 1,910 structures.

Fire officials said damage-inspection teams had nearly completed surveys of the fire area and would do a second inspection to confirm the total property lost.
“As the surveys are completed and additional data is confirmed, the number of structures destroyed may rise,” the agency said in a statement.

The Valley Fire now ranks as the third most damaging California wildfire. The 1991 Oakland hills fire, which destroyed 2,900 structures and killed 25 people, remains the most destructive fire in state history.

Meanwhile, mandatory evacuation orders were lifted over the weekend in the sprawling Valley Fire burn area, allowing weary residents to return to their properties to see if anything remained of their homes.

http://www.alldeaf.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=2440126

I live in California. There are almost always fires burning somewhere. The big one up north right now is in a valley, very hard to get fire equipment up there so it just burns and burns

SOUTH LAKE COUNTY, Calif. – Officials on Friday released new damage assessment numbers on the Valley fire, and said they anticipate the incident will be fully contained early next month.

On Friday evening, the Valley fire remained at 76,067 acres, with containment up a few points to 92 percent, according to Cal Fire Battalion Chief Mike Smith.

The fire began on the afternoon of Saturday, Sept. 12, on High Valley Road in Cobb before burning down into Middletown and Hidden Valley Lake.

Cal Fire estimated on Friday that the fire will be fully contained on Oct. 5.

At a Friday afternoon briefing, Smith said the investigation into the fire's cause is continuing.

He said Cal Fire investigators began working on determining what sparked the fire early in the incident.

However, Smith cautioned, “It may take months to find the exact cause of this fire.”

Also on Friday, Cal Fire issued an update on structures damaged and destroyed in the fire after it said damage inspection teams completed primary and secondary assessments.

Approximately 1,958 structures have been destroyed, including 1,280 homes, 27 multi-family structures, 66 commercial properties, and 585 other minor structures such as outbuildings and sheds, Cal Fire said.

http://www.lakeconews.com/index.php...ge-numbers-released&catid=1:latest&Itemid=197

Calvin said the fire is 92% contained! About time!

Hopefully fire season is coming to an end. Cool weather hurry up....

It has not been smokey around my area for over a week.

Back