Explosions at Boston Marathon finish line

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just heard the JFK library was damaged by an incendiary device, but some say it was a coincidence and only an electrical failure...

Logan AirPort is tightening security, 1 plane was taken back to the gate for extra screening, another one was stopped on the Tarmac. I know ppl in homeland security, I get info directly from my friends.
I also was lucky, I would have been right where the bombs were had I not had to go with my mother to her doctor.

I just heard the JFK library was damaged by an incendiary device, but some say it was a coincidence and only an electrical failure...

Logan AirPort is tightening security, 1 plane was taken back to the gate for extra screening, another one was stopped on the Tarmac. I know ppl in homeland security, I get info directly from my friends.
I also was lucky, I would have been right where the bombs were had I not had to go with my mother to her doctor.

A plane that was bound for Chicago was turned around to Logan Airport because the pilots felt 2 individuals conversing with each other in Arabic were suspicious. They have been removed from flight and interrogated.

How do you know they were on high alert?

it's always been like that since a while ago. every major events are always on high alert. that's why the victims were quickly tended to and transported to hospitals within minutes. hundreds (800 I believe) of National Guards including EOD (bomb squad) were already on scene. you cannot mobilize that many in a short notice. the emergency response to this terrorism was activated within few minutes.

Boston was already well-prepared for it.

How do you know they were on high alert?

The whole race route was checked out before race ,ever since 9 11 the city been on high alert for the race. This is a world event , we have people coming from all over the world to be in it. Mail boxes are checked , manhole covers are bolted closes , there is a no fly zone over city where the race it .
And before 9 11 the cops where out in full force.

The whole race route was checked out before race ,ever since 9 11 the city been on high alert for the race. This is a world event , we have people coming from all over the world to be in it. Mail boxes are checked , manhole covers are bolted closes , there is a no fly zone over city where the race it .
And before 9 11 the cops where out in full force.

I think those are routine procedures today. Compared to pre-911 they are not, but today, certainly. I don't think it would be considered high alert as if homeland security set the alert to red or anything.

Were they prepared for it? Yes, and I do think they did a heroic job.

I didn't see a lot of earnest from the people there that would make it seem like an attack was imminent. It wasn't as intense as it was in the days after 911 by a long shot.

EDIT: There was only a no-fly zone after the explosions. Where things checked? I'm sure, but I can't say all those things were checked.

'Boston will overcome,' mayor vows amid bombing investigation - CNN.com
Doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital found pellets and sharp nail-like objects in their patients who were wounded in the bombings, said Dr. George Velmahos, head of trauma care for the hospital.

But earlier, a federal law enforcement source discounted reports the bombs had been packed with ball bearings. The source told CNN National Security Analyst Fran Townsend that investigators believe the bombs may have been placed in a trash can, fragments of which turned into shrapnel when they exploded.

Another federal law enforcement source with knowledge of the investigation said one bomb appeared to have been placed inside a metal pressure cooker hidden in a backpack.

But the fact that the blasts took place near the end of the race "seems to indicate this was not geared toward maximum damage," said a former federal law enforcement official who now works in the intelligence community.

"It may speak volumes about the (level of) planning that went into this," the source said. "It raises questions ... why didn't the bombs go off when the crowd was packed in like sardines when the winners were crossing the finish line? It could mean the people behind it couldn't get access to the area when they originally intended."

Bomb Experts Offer Analysis Based on Details from Boston Marathon Explosions - US News and World Report
The explosions at the Boston Marathon on Monday were likely caused by high-power black powder explosives, bomb experts tell U.S. News, and at least one of them was likely shaped in a pipe bomb.

Building a pipe bomb does not require a great degree of sophistication, Burton says, but getting them to function properly "does take some practice."

Reports of "traumatic amputations" among the victims of the explosions indicate this was likely very powerful explosive device, says Paul Fennewald, a 23-year veteran of the FBI as a bomb technician.

The white smoke that emanated from the blasts indicate this was likely a smokeless or black powder, he says, not a military-type explosive such as C-4 or plastic explosives, which give off black smoke. Two explosions in quick succession also indicate this was likely a terrorist attack.

Bomb-Blast Forensics: The First Steps - 2013 Boston Marathon - Popular Mechanics
Even the video of the blast can help identify what kind of bomb it is—or in the case of Boston, confirm that the bombs that detonated were the same that went off. "Generally, white smoke means a commercial explosion or improvised device," he says. A common chemical used in these bombs, in the United States and abroad, is acetone peroxide (TATP). It comes in a white powder and blooms in a white cloud when it explodes. In Boston, the initial images seem to show white smoke blossoming at the moment of explosion.

Industrial and military explosives emit black smoke, Thurman says.

He cautions not to be too hasty in assessing blame. "Let the evidence direct us," he says. "We need to have an open mind. This could have been anybody."

The globe has released the name of a second victim, but there is some confusion over her residence. The Globe says Arlington, but Medford has her listed as a native:

"Also today the name of a second person who died in the blast was identified. Krystle Campbell, 29, of Arlington was killed, her grandmother said."

Investigation of Boston Marathon bombings continues - Boston.com

I don't know her personally, but I think Medford is correct as the Arlington paper has not mentioned her and that would certainly be front page news.

news update - the apartment that was searched is a dead end. the person who lives there is a victim, not a suspect. the bomb is likely to be a pressure cooker.

some comments from FBI (unconfirmed) - "this is the hardest crime scene ever processed" and "US better at taking care of international incidents than domestic".

I think those are routine procedures today. Compared to pre-911 they are not, but today, certainly. I don't think it would be considered high alert as if homeland security set the alert to red or anything.

Were they prepared for it? Yes, and I do think they did a heroic job.

I didn't see a lot of earnest from the people there that would make it seem like an attack was imminent. It wasn't as intense as it was in the days after 911 by a long shot.

EDIT: There was only a no-fly zone after the explosions. Where things checked? I'm sure, but I can't say all those things were checked.

A no fly zone was setup before the bombing happened, as you know terrorists highjack the planes from Logan airport on 9 11,so a no fly zone was in place right at the being of the race. I would call that high alert.

:(

he day he learned of his son's death, Arredondo ​locked himself in a van with five gallons of gasoline and a propane torch and set the van on fire. He survived, became a peace activist, and was among the spectators who rushed toward the fumes after the explosion today.

looks like my gut feeling was right. I really pray that he seeks a trauma counselor immediately. I can tell from the video that he has reached the point where he can't take it anymore. I hope a friend or family member is with him now.

:(

looks like my gut feeling was right. I really pray that he seeks a trauma counselor immediately. I can tell from the video that he has reached the point where he can't take it anymore. I hope a friend or family member is with him now.
I agree. I think I read that he's a member of a support group, so I hope they get in contact with him.

I remember that story about the van. I didn't realize he was the same guy! :shock:

I've been thinking about Richard Jewel a lot, the guy who found the bomb at the Olympics. It's really too bad what happened to him.

Richard Jewell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We sure could have used him at the marathon.

That incident was a case of domestic terrorism.

That's why the media needs to back off. They're not reporting anything new and the 20 year old they had turned out to have nothing. At this point, everyone is feeding off the hype, including the person/s responsible.

A no fly zone was setup before the bombing happened, as you know terrorists highjack the planes from Logan airport on 9 11,so a no fly zone was in place right at the being of the race. I would call that high alert.

Incorrect:

"WASHINGTON -- The Federal Aviation Administration created a no-fly zone over the site of two explosions at the annual Boston marathon on Monday, and briefly ordered flights bound for Boston's Logan International Airport held on the ground at airports around the country. About an hour after the explosions the FAA issued a notice to pilots that a no-fly zone with a 3.5-mile radius has been created over 811 Boylston Street. The zone was later reduced in a subsequent notice to a 2.3-mile radius. The zone is limited to flights under 3,000 feet in altitude, which is lower than most airliners would fly except when taking off or landing."

Here is the link:
Boston Marathon Explosion: FAA Orders No-Fly Zone Over Boston Explosion Site

If you have a link, please post it, there are multiple sources citing the oppsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back