Salina Journal
News - Page A03
August 4, 2005

•EXPLOSION
Teen loses hearing after 'mowing' firework
Nasty surprise while mowing leads to a pleasant one later on

Darrin Stineman
Salina Journal

CONCORDIA (in Kansas) -- A riding lawnmower is all that separated 16-year-old Calani Hitchell from serious injury or death.
While mowing the yard July 9 -- the first Saturday after a nearby Independence Day fireworks display -- Calani struck what is believed to be a commercial firework shell, causing a huge explosion that rattled the windows of her house and caused people blocks away to call police.

The Troy-Bilt mower lifted off the ground and came back down upright, Calani said, but the blast didn't knock her out of her seat.

"I went to see my brother, and I asked him to say something, because I couldn't hear anything," Calani said Wednesday. "He said, 'Are you all right?' and I couldn't hear him. I could only read his lips.

"Then I went to see my mom, and I said, 'I think I broke the mower.' And she said, 'I don't care about the mower, how are you?' "

Except for the hearing loss, she was fine. Calani's doctor told her the hearing would gradually return, and as of Wednesday, she said it was almost all the way back.

The family believed Calani could've been severely injured or killed had it not been for the sturdiness of the mower, and they sent an e-mail to Troy-Bilt thanking them for building such a quality product.

Swayed by the praise in the letter -- and the fact that the Hitchell family has nine children -- Troy-Bilt decided to provide them with a new, $1,800 riding mower, which arrived July 27.

"We were shocked about that," Calani's father, Kevin, said of the phone call from the company vice president telling them of the gift. "We didn't know what to say. They brought one of their representatives from North Carolina and a film crew and some cake and everything."

Calani said she normally doesn't mow the lawn, but her dad was especially busy that week, so she offered to do it.

"I had gone around a couple of times, and I wasn't paying very close attention, and I saw something and didn't really focus on it and see what it was," she said. "It had the appearance of a mushroom, because the grass was really high."

Calani said she credits the mower with saving her life.

"Yes, because if the deck hadn't been so sturdy, any little spark could've gotten up there and hit the gas tank," she said, "and it would've blown me up."

Whoa... she was very lucky! Damn!

The family is even luckier to have gotten a new mower! :eek:

I wonder will teen get a lawyer and sue his dad for making him mow the yard.Now the teen becomes the owner of his dads house and tells his dad what to do?

She is LUCKY to be alive!! Thank goodness she was on a riding mower and not pushing one. And she is also lucky that the mower landed right side up!!!

Why are you so obsessed with suing people? IYIYI....you're a laywer's worst nightmare....

ravensteve1961 said:
I wonder will teen get a lawyer and sue his dad for making him mow the yard.Now the teen becomes the owner of his dads house and tells his dad what to do?

why would a teen sue his dad for somethign like that.. its stupid. if his dad beat him up or sumthing like that it make sense but for him to do a chore is not a big deal. everybody should do chores and help their parents out.

Theres a reason why when youre told to do something and say..I dont wanna do it.Theres a reason why that kids says i dont wanna do it. Respect him or her wishes that the kid doesnt wanna do it. Just say ok ill get someone else to cut it.If you force him to do it and he ends up getting a medical disabiliy you gotta sue!

Calani said she normally doesn't mow the lawn, but her dad was especially busy that week, so she offered to do it.

Read carefully!! SHE OFFERED TO DO IT.

Think of what a child or teen would be like if she was ""forced"" to be involved in their family's chore.. I personality think it teaches them responsibilities and teaches them to help.

ravensteve1961 said:
you....you are so fucking stupid, aren't you always? :roll: aye, of course you are.

READ the fucking article more carefully, or rather, you just ignore it and think that you are right anyway?

her dad did NOT force her to mow the lawn. she SAID herself that she would mow the lawn for her dad since he's busy doing other things...she was just doing her dad a favor.

perhas we should sue you for your stupidy and perhas your eyes whom dont really seem to work on you anymore and if we are the owner of you, you get to do whatever the hell we say to you and you'll be our AD's bitch! bwa ha ha! :D

ravensteve1961 said:

RS!!!!!! :gives: about lawyers.. you are SOOOOO obsessive about suing stuff...

(smh).. its getting old about you.. and you havent change anything since you came back to AD... please just go away..

:angel: Boy that girl was pretty lucky that she wasn't more seriously hurt. She had to been scared in a sense that she couldn't hear anything for awhile, but, importantly, she was alright, just more scared than anything.

She respected her parent's enough to help them out to cut the lawn, it was just a shame that this dangerous appartus happen to be on her lawn. I am sure that her parent's were appreciative for her efforts, but, scared and relieved at the same time that she wasn't hurt more seriously.

Yeah she wasnt hurt but now shell be joining the ranks of the handicapped with society judging her.

I think she should sue the Troy-Bilt Corp. for not installing automatic fireworks shell detection and deactivation equipment on the mower. Such a gross oversight clearly constitutes culpable negligence. :roll:

That's so amazing to me how a little "thank you" can help so much. I will consider that mower company when I buy a house next summer.

Goes to show how tough Troy-Bilt mowers are! Lucky for the family that the company offered to give them a new one. This incident really showed that Troy-Bilt does care about their customers and that I call excellent customer service!

and oh BTW I use a Troy-Bilt self-propelled walking mower to mow the yard at the house I share with 2 roomies and I can attest to the reliability of said Troy-Bilt company's products.

ravensteve1961 said:
Yeah she wasnt hurt but now shell be joining the ranks of the handicapped with society judging her.

umm....... are you stupid?? (question that we all know the answer) It said her hearing came back....... :roll:

tegumi said:
umm....... are you stupid?? (question that we all know the answer) It said her hearing came back....... :roll:
Well mine didnt! perhaps GOD gave her a second chance. He didnt give me no second chance. :thumbd:

Back