Experts Warn Debt May Threaten Economy

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
It worries me about my children and grandchildren's economic in the future. The houses cost goes up thousand dollars every two years. Their income apparently impossible to met cost of living.

When I looked around the condos around here in Massachusetts. Three bedrooms and 1.5 bath. Cost 430K plus 350 dollars for the fee (maintenance). I prefer to buying a house to do garden and lawn work instead of pay other people to do for me. As least, my health is still good for my age. When I become 70's, I may stuck with snow shovel and lawn motor.

Things seem worse in this state of Massachusetts. Car insurance is awful expensive for teenagers, college tuition is killing for my children, etc.. :crazy:

When you used the credit card, the interest goes up 18% to 21%. Imagine, the company profit from you $65 dollars per month. Many people are not realized that the credit cards are hurtful their debts.

That is why, we avoid to using any loan or credit cards on our wedding expense. We found several friends of mine to do DJ music, photographery and decoration cake. Thanks god, DJ music and phtograph can sign language to communication with Deaf people. Of course, they are professional.

Today, we looked around colonial beautiful outside house. Four bedrooms and 1.5 bath, big backyard and nice deck wooden. Cost only 280K but alot of dampness in the basement. The house build itself in 1900. I dislike the design because the master bedroom is right next to the dinner room.

The roof, house sheld and windows are all brand new but still cost alot of money on the electricity and oil heat. It will cause our debts burden.

Today in the article newspaper about the economy for our future children and grandchildren. I am worried about their burden debts. I taught my children, please avoid the credit cards. Loan car is fine but not using the credit cards. The interest percent are killing our debts every month.

I put the investment for my two sons's future since they were young. I encourage them to learn to put any money in the investment since I do not have any own house.

Read this article:

You owe $145,000. And the bill is rising every day. That's how much it would cost every American man, woman and child to pay the tab for the long-term promises the U.S. government has made to creditors, retirees, veterans and the poor.

And it's not even taking into account credit card bills, mortgages — all the debt we've racked up personally. Savings? The average American puts away barely $1 of every $100 earned.

If those figures seem out of whack to you, if they seem to cut against the way you learned to handle money, if they seem like a recipe for a national economic nightmare — well, then, at least you're not alone.

A chorus of economists, government officials and elected leaders both conservative and liberal is warning that America's nonstop borrowing has put the nation on the road to a major fiscal disaster — one that could unleash plummeting home values, rocketing interest rates, lost jobs, stagnating wages and threats to government services ranging from health care to law enforcement.

"I believe the country faces a critical crossroad and that the decisions that are made — or not made — within the next 10 years or so will have a profound effect on the future of our country, our children and our grandchildren. The problem gets bigger every day, and the tidal wave gets closer every day."

Alan Greenspan echoed those worries just last week, warning that the federal budget deficit hampered the nation's ability to absorb possible shocks from the soaring trade deficit and the housing boom. He criticized the nation's "hesitancy to face up to the difficult choices that will be required to resolve our looming fiscal problems."

But something has changed. More than two centuries ago, Benjamin Franklin warned: "He that goes aborrowing, goes asorrowing." Now, a laugh-til-you-cry commercial portrays a man with a beautiful home and car declaring: "I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. I can barely pay my finance charges. Somebody help me."

Americans used to save, but no longer. Back in the 1950s, a generation of Americans who had survived the Depression and Second World War saved roughly 8 percent of their income. The savings rate rose and fell slightly over the decades — it went as high as 11 percent and as low as 7 percent during the "greed is good" 1980s — but now those days are only a memory.

The lack of savings is mirrored by a rise in debt. In 2000, household debt broke 18 percent of disposable income for the first time in 20 years, meaning debt eats almost $1 in every $5 American families have to spend after they get past the bills that keep them fed and housed. (That figure hasn't dropped. Credit card debt alone averages $7,200 per household.)

Many people take comfort in the rising value of their homes, and its spurred record home-building and buying, with new construction making places like Las Vegas the fastest-growing in the nation. But a home translates into wealth only when you sell it — and there's a vigorous debate over whether the housing boom is becoming a bubble that will burst.

"It seems like, with the younger generation, that they want to have now what it took us years to get," says Jo Canelon, a 46-year-old social worker in Statenville, Ga.

"I see people younger than me with comparable jobs that drive new vehicles and have a boat and mortgage and things," says Canelon, who responded to the AP/Ipsos poll. "And I just wonder about their debt."

If she's right, the government is sick, too.

Leaders are elected by the people they serve, of course, and the American people seem to want the best of both worlds — tax cuts and government services — while they hope the dollars sort themselves out. They worry about the nation's problems, but not enough to agree on a course of action to fix them.

A few years ago, government finances were the strongest they've been in a generation. Then came a turnaround — and a stunningly quick one. The budget surplus of $236 billion in 2000 turned into a deficit of $412 billion last year. The government had to borrow that much to cover the hole between what it took in and what it had to spend; a difference that's called the federal deficit.

Blame the bust of the dot-com boom, the ensuing recession, President Bush's federal tax cuts, the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the subsequent wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Bush has gotten his share of brickbats, from both the right and the left, for the spending while he's in office. Still, the federal deficit isn't as big as it was in the worst of the years under President Reagan as a percentage of the overall economy.

But bigger worries lie ahead.

The nation's three biggest entitlement programs — Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid — make promises for retirement and health care (for the elderly and the poor) which carry a huge price tag that balloons as the population grows and ages.

Add it up: current debt and deficit, promises for those big programs, pensions, veterans health care. The total comes to $43 trillion, says Walker, the nation's comptroller general, who runs the Government Accountability Office. That's where the $145,000 bill for every American, or $350,000 for every full-time worker, comes from.

Simply hoping for good times to return won't erase numbers like that, Walker says.

"There's no way we're going to grow our way out of our long-range fiscal imbalance," he says, adding that the country must re-examine tax policy, entitlement programs and the entire federal budget.

"I really do not believe the American people have a real idea as to where we are and where we're headed, and what the potential implications are for the country if we don't start making some tough decisions soon," he says.

The dangers are clear as day to Felicia Brown in Saginaw, Mich. To her, it's the leaders who ignore them, she says.

"We're stealing from our children's future and our grandchildren's future," says the cashier and mother of three, who also responded to the AP/Ipsos poll. "We're led off on this belief that we should buy, buy, buy. Everyone needs a big house, everyone needs a new car every two years. We're spending all this money on that, and we're not saving anything."

Some people, however — including economists — think the picture isn't so gloomy.

Ben Bernanke, who recently left the Federal Reserve Board to serve as President Bush's top economic adviser, has argued that the problem is not with the United States. The trouble lies overseas, where people want to save rather than spend their money. The key is to encourage other countries to spend and invest more, he says, though he also believes that the federal budget needs to be balanced.

By raising the issue of foreign investment, Bernanke touches on another area that scares economists — America's inexhaustible desire for foreign goods.

The trade deficit — the difference between what America imports and what it exports — is the highest it's ever been, both in absolute numbers and in comparison to the size of the economy.

Nearly two decades ago, the country fretted over a trade imbalance equal to 3.1 percent of the overall economy, or the gross domestic product. It's more than twice as big now, roughly 6.5 percent.

At the same time, the government provides more services to the public than it can afford to — and goes into debt to cover the cost.

If those banks reduced their dollar holdings or were simply less willing to invest so much, it could spark a sharp fall in the value of the dollar. And that could create a host of economic problems.

continue'

If not, the future poses some frightening what-ifs:

• What if the dollar plummets? Do stocks follow? How about pensions?

• What if interest rates soar? How would all the new homeowners, who stretched to buy with adjustable and interest-only loans, cover their mortgages?

• How would consumers with record credit-card debt make their payments? Would they stop buying? Stop taking vacations? What will happen if they go bankrupt? New rules going into effect later this year make it harder on such debtors.

• How would government, which depends on the taxes of a strong economy to operate, keep all its promises?

Roubini says time is critical because the worse debt becomes, the more vulnerable America is to shocks in the global economic systems — another spike in oil prices, another major terrorist attack, another major military conflict.

OK, now back to you. No one's asking you to write a check to cover that $145,000, not yet. But the pressures are building around the world, in Washington, and in America's homes to straighten out our finances or get ready for a real mess.

"We're living beyond our means," Roubini says, "and we have to get our act together."

Is not that scary for next our children generation? I remember, my Dad worked two jobs to support three of us. My mother was housewife to take care of us until we become teenager. My mother went back to College to get her BS degree and worked social worker at 52 years old. We were very lucky to have a house and nice clothes that my Dad support us. We had a good warmer under the roof and healthy food. Blessing my Dad !

I looked up at my Dad. I worked 80 hrs a week to support the family. My finane works two jobs too. Gasoline, food and electricity are awful going up every year. We haven't had any vacation this summer. Things are awful expensive around here.

My two sons try to look for the jobs around here. No luck ! They had second interviews, the company hired other people. Of course, they are discouraged. My younger son will start school next week. My older will start college next year. The tuition is very expensive nowadays. It discouraged us!

Yes all the reason to start start teaching Deafs on how to handle the credit card collectors.

16 Illegal Creditor Actions -
http://www.deafadvocacy.com/credit.htm

Credit Card Secrets Banks Don't Want You to Know
http://www.deafadvocacy.com/bankcard.htm

New Life After Credit Cards
http://www.deafadvocacy.com/newlcc.pdf

arca.jpg

Hey Sabrina,

Do you have the link for that article ? I would like to read them. :)

CyberRed said:
Hey Sabrina,

Do you have the link for that article ? I would like to read them. :)

it was on yahoo news I cant find the link

Nesmuth said:
Yes all the reason to start start teaching Deafs on how to handle the credit card collectors.

16 Illegal Creditor Actions -
http://www.deafadvocacy.com/credit.htm

Credit Card Secrets Banks Don't Want You to Know
http://www.deafadvocacy.com/bankcard.htm

New Life After Credit Cards
http://www.deafadvocacy.com/newlcc.pdf

arca.jpg

Some Deaf people do not realize, most of the stores offer zero interest for one year. They tried to pay on their bill on time. Somehow, it was over 12 months later, the percentage went double than they expect.

I remember, I purchased the living room couch with zero interest. I paid full within 12 months to avoid to pay the interest. I got a letter, it says to pay interest 120 dollars plus left over what you owe that store.

We have to be very careful what we purchased the items anywhere the stores with zero interest within 12 months.

Make sure, we paid full that amount before end of 12 months to avoid to pay double cost on that bill.

There is another link

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/money/4905848/detail.html

Heavy Debt Threatens Economy, Experts Say
Many economists and politicos on both sides of the aisle are warning that nonstop borrowing has put the nation on a course for a major fiscal disaster.

They say financially reckless practices on both the government and personal level could result in a train wreck for real estate, interest rates, jobs, wages and government services.

U.S. Comptroller General David Walker told The Associated Press that he believes the nation is at a critical juncture. Walker said the decisions made, or not made, within the next decade will have a profound effect on the future of the country.

Federal Reserve Chair Alan Greenspan echoed those worries this past week. Greenspan warned that the federal budget deficit is hampering the nation's ability to absorb possible economic shocks. :shock:

Yep and this will lead to "cashless society" ... that's where we are headin' to.
Dollars will change to National ID cards, microchip device under the skin, and so forth.

Be sure to keep an eye on Stock Market, because it will lead to crash.... dunno WHEN, but it will happen in the near future after economy fail to success. Will wait and see.......

As for me, I believe that our country ( USA ) will lead to poverty.

I think Americans are using money for wrong reason...
I can see why jobs are shipped to oversea.

Americans are trying to get job benefits and everything...
And then they use their money on shopping.
And I don't know why we need 200 cable tv channels...
and paying Dish, DirecTV, and Time Warner $50 a month...

Sabrina said:
Some Deaf people do not realize, most of the stores offer zero interest for one year. They tried to pay on their bill on time. Somehow, it was over 12 months later, the percentage went double than they expect.

I remember, I purchased the living room couch with zero interest. I paid full within 12 months to avoid to pay the interest. I got a letter, it says to pay interest 120 dollars plus left over what you owe that store.

We have to be very careful what we purchased the items anywhere the stores with zero interest within 12 months.

Make sure, we paid full that amount before end of 12 months to avoid to pay double cost on that bill.
thats correct.. but accually if you pay off in 11 months.. you'll avoid it.

i understand the eastern states.. and western states the housing price are getting so so high.. mostly in huge cities.

but.. to me.. housing prices here are VERY VERY CHEAP this town where i live for a 3 bedroom and 1.5 bath nice condition average cost are $115,000 some house are below $70,000.. even for a shit house that needs a little work like a new roof, new sidings for $15,000

i bought the very first new home when i was 22 years old thats 3 years ago.. and i still live in same house.. had no problems with it (except a flooded basement once during a heavy 11 plus inches of rain)
my parents are in shock i can handle a house on my own, because i didn't finish college degree yet, etc..

I believe they should increase the housing cost because its the way of living.. 50 years ago the average house cost $15,000 to $30,000 for a median home.. now those house are worth $170,000 to $250,000.. yeah a big profit for those elder.. great investment for retirement.. so i believe we deserve the same thing :P

also household income is increasing cuz companies are paying more than 10 years ago.

foe example for a computer science professional.. 10 years ago their income was $25,000 a year for 1st year.. now its $35,000 to $40,000 a year for 1st year.. that's a big difference

So what is credit scoring?

Simply put, credit scoring is a method of assessing the credit risk of a loan applicant. It uses mathematical models to evaluate a person's credit worthiness based on their credit history and current credit accounts. The system was first developed in the 1950s, but has come into widespread use in just the last couple of decades.

In the early '80s, the three major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax and Trans Union) each developed scoring models that allowed them to offer a score based solely on the data of one individual. Creditors, especially those in the home mortgage industry, frequently use these scores when deciding who gets a loan and at what rate. However, it's worth remembering that creditors also consider other information, such as your salary or employment history, when making loan decisions.

What's in a score?

Credit scores are reported as a number, usually in the 300-900 range. The higher the number the better the score. Creditors see the number as an indicator that an individual will repay a loan. Typically, scores are determined by reviewing the following data:

Your history of late payments
Non payments
Current level of debt
Types of credit accounts
Length of credit history
Number of credit inquiries
History of applying for credit
Bad credit behavior, such as writing bad checks

Personal details such as race, gender and religion are definitely not considered when determining your score. It's also worth noting that each major credit bureau has its own method for calculating credit scores. However, the scoring models have been fairly well standardized so that a "600" score at one bureau is roughly the equivalent to the same score at another.

What's a good score?

Overall, a score of 650 or above is a sign of very good credit, and a very good credit score. People with scores of 650 or higher will, all things considered, have a good chance of obtaining quality loans at the best interest rates.

Scores of 620 to 650 indicate good credit, but also may point to potential trouble areas that creditors will want to look at and review. A lender may require additional documentation before a loan will be approved.

With scores of below 620, consumers may find that they can still obtain a loan. However, the process will be lengthier and more involved, as creditors consider scores below this threshold to be an indicator of greater credit risk.

That why, we aren't carry credit cards for many years...
FIRST... We want to pay off 1 debt left to go til pay off... and be caution for us to seek proprite credit card within 0% interest for a year.. If suppose zero interest near a year...I'll cut it off and find another credit card come with zero percentage.. Depends...

That what we are afraid about credit card.. to have one..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
thats correct.. but accually if you pay off in 11 months.. you'll avoid it.

i understand the eastern states.. and western states the housing price are getting so so high.. mostly in huge cities.

but.. to me.. housing prices here are VERY VERY CHEAP this town where i live for a 3 bedroom and 1.5 bath nice condition average cost are $115,000 some house are below $70,000.. even for a shit house that needs a little work like a new roof, new sidings for $15,000

i bought the very first new home when i was 22 years old thats 3 years ago.. and i still live in same house.. had no problems with it (except a flooded basement once during a heavy 11 plus inches of rain)
my parents are in shock i can handle a house on my own, because i didn't finish college degree yet, etc..

I believe they should increase the housing cost because its the way of living.. 50 years ago the average house cost $15,000 to $30,000 for a median home.. now those house are worth $170,000 to $250,000.. yeah a big profit for those elder.. great investment for retirement.. so i believe we deserve the same thing :P

also household income is increasing cuz companies are paying more than 10 years ago.

foe example for a computer science professional.. 10 years ago their income was $25,000 a year for 1st year.. now its $35,000 to $40,000 a year for 1st year.. that's a big difference

I have a question. In 50 years later, would the buyer afford to purchase the house with three bedroom and 1 acre for the amount of $5,521,546.58?

mld4ds said:
I have a question. In 50 years later, would the buyer afford to purchase the house with three bedroom and 1 acre for the amount of $5,521,546.58?
maybe... money keeps growing once we find more money. that's how it works financially.
the whole money issue is depend on how many money we make.. we make more money through trading, gold, silver, so forth.. that's how money grow in USA. and that's how price goes up and our income goes up.. its just a matter of fact.

To follow up on what scuba and mld4ds were talking about...

The reason everything keeps increasing is inflation. It is a merry go round that will never stop. Here is how it works...cost of things go up because it cost more to produce and to make a profit. Then the workers get into the act an ask for a raise and on it goes like a circle. The 90's were a rare decade where inflation was pretty much zero or a little above. I believe it even went negative for a bit there...very rare.

If you watch any of the old movies, you would have noticed unbelievable prices for a meal...say 45 cents for a nice breakfast. Then again you weren't being paid at today's salaries either!!!

Speaking of credit cards...it would be very easy to eliminate the nonsense with them. Just buy what you need and pay it off every month...it is as simple as that. Don't live beyond your means and unfortunately this is where these companies do so well. There are too many people trying to live it up because either everybody else has it or they have no control on their spending. We have no credit card debt because we practice what we "preach". It isn't easy but it works for us. If all the sudden the credit card companies decided to charge a daily balance regardless when you pay it off, we could easily cut them up and be done with them. We would just get a debit card and go that way. We realize that a "cashless" society will come one way or another and it will be interesting how people survive that...

Katerina may cause the credit card bubble to burst.

If the feds continue to give aid using credit cards, then that'll bring up a nasty habit to those who wont have the means to pay for it once they start using it and their cards beyond it's limits.

Richard

Live beneath your means. In other words spend less than you take in after taxes, use as little credit that is needed.

Back