Experiences with my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didn't need a deaf identity while growing up.

To put my life with hearing loss into perspective, when I was diagnosed around 14 yrs old the one dr evidently told my mom (for some reason ENT's and audi's have your audiogram and then talk to you like you can hear them, roflol) that he was surprised I was doing what I was doing at that age. What was I doing? Playing basketball, starter. (varsity) Playing in trumpet in the band. (later changed to baritone) getting average grades in classes. (missed alot so had to ask friends for the assignments at times) Cheerleading (including all the tumbling etc) and then there were the interactions with my friends. As I got older I actually partied just as hard as they did. :eek3:

Jag! You are in denial. You need to accept your deaf identity. You need to learn sign in order to be happy. You are deaf. You have to be together with deaf people. Your peers. Hearing people will make fun of you because you are deaf.
Listen to Jillio. She knows. She is hearing.!.....

wait a minute..... something is not right..... something is not making sense...... Jillio.... hearing.... knows...??

As I got older I actually partied just as hard as they did. :eek3:

Jag,

I knew there was a reason why I liked you so much! Plus the fact that your points are right on the money!
Rick

Jag! You are in denial. You need to accept your deaf identity. You need to learn sign in order to be happy. You are deaf. You have to be together with deaf people. Your peers. Hearing people will make fun of you because you are deaf.
Listen to Jillio. She knows. She is hearing.!.....

wait a minute..... something is not right..... something is not making sense...... Jillio.... hearing.... knows...??

Cloggy was that really necessary? That kind of comment just makes you look bad and it makes you look like you have to prove that you are right about everything.

I too, have many hearing friends. I too, speak. But what is so wrong with advocating sign and involvement with deaf peers?

I'm not saying that Lotte has to be involved with deaf peers. I am not saying anyone has to be. However, is it really such an evil? Is signing really such an evil?

I could immerse myself into the hearing world and never look back. However, I do believe that there is a natural curiosity and a natural want to become involved with the deaf peers.

Im not saying that you are intentionally keeping Lotte away from her deaf peers, nor am I saying that you are forcing her not to sign. I am not even saying you would prevent her from doing so.

But really Cloggy, at 4 years old, she really isnt old enough to TRULY decide which she wants to identify with. You just naturally assume that it will be with the hearing. Yet, she may surprise you and become involved with the deaf.

Even if she doesnt. IMO there is no right or wrong way of going about this. I do believe it does not hurt for her to also have other friends that are just like her. Both deaf and CI. Those are the friends she can identify with as she gets older.

I say that because as she gets older she will want other CI children that she can identify with and be able to talk about the issues involving a CI. That is gonna be a natural want.

Jag,

You say you didn't need a deaf identity growing up. While that may be true, later in life you are obviously seeking out your deaf identity. If you werent you wouldnt be here posting. Which is a good thing for you and anyone else who seeks out their deaf identity.

Seeking out other deaf in any form is connecting with people who are just like you. Whether that be a forum, a deaf club, a deaf school, or even a CI forum.

I think, everyone here could learn alot from each other. Cloggy, instead of arguing that Lotte can hear with the CI and that you are right about your oral only approach as of right now. Why not talk about what it is like to actually be in the hearing world as a hearing person and why you would want that for Lotte?

Jag, why not tell us about your experiences growing up as a child who was fully immersed into a hearing world from a deaf perspective?

Jillio, why not tell us why you feel that your son is gonna be a more well rounded individual for having grown up fully immersed in the deaf world?

Many others here that are deaf and grew up deaf can and do tell us what it was like growing up as a deaf child.

I could tell you what it was like growing up as a hearing child and then having my hearing decline on me to such a state that I was deaf at 14 years old. And what it is like to not truly belong to either world.

ALL of us could learn alot from each other, if only we chose to stop having to be right about everything. And start chosing to open our minds and really listening to the stories that are just wanting to be heard here.

Debating may be a good thing, but listening and truly listening to each other is an even better thing.

We can do without the sarcasm and cynism in our postings. But we simply cannot do without joining together in one basic movement. And that movement being whether if you are a CI user, a latened deaf person, a Deaf or deaf child, d/Deaf adult, oral only, sign only, or hearing parent, is to come together and fight for better deaf rights.

Who cares who has a CI and who doesnt? Who cares who can sign and who cant sign? When there are bigger issues at stake.

Many of you will say there are no issues at stake. You make your life how you make it.

That is simply not true. We need to come together and stop the discrimination that happens in the workplaces,schools, drs offices, and every else against the deaf.

Cloggy, Rick, Jillio these issues will apply to all of you whether if you want to admit it or not. Even though you say that because of speech and better hearing or knowing signs and whatnot, they will still face discrimination.

Instead of arguing whether if a chidl should be implanted or not, or arguing that sign or speech is better than the other. We should be standing strong and supporting ALL Deaf people no matter what the choices were or is for them.

Without unity, there is no change. Without change, we stagnate. Once we stagnate, the oppression of deaf and ci people every where continues.

Dang, Alex, we need one of those "clapping" smilies here!

Cloggy was that really necessary? That kind of comment just makes you look bad and it makes you look like you have to prove that you are right about everything.

Thank you Bear, I'm getting turned off by these comments he's been posting lately, he did that in another thread and I asked him " why are you making fun of us " then all the sudden Neecy comes in and attacked me out of blue....What the hell...

Btw, Good posting Bear,!!

I too, have many hearing friends. I too, speak. But what is so wrong with advocating sign and involvement with deaf peers?

I'm not saying that Lotte has to be involved with deaf peers. I am not saying anyone has to be. However, is it really such an evil? Is signing really such an evil?

I could immerse myself into the hearing world and never look back. However, I do believe that there is a natural curiosity and a natural want to become involved with the deaf peers.

Im not saying that you are intentionally keeping Lotte away from her deaf peers, nor am I saying that you are forcing her not to sign. I am not even saying you would prevent her from doing so.

But really Cloggy, at 4 years old, she really isnt old enough to TRULY decide which she wants to identify with. You just naturally assume that it will be with the hearing. Yet, she may surprise you and become involved with the deaf.

Even if she doesnt. IMO there is no right or wrong way of going about this. I do believe it does not hurt for her to also have other friends that are just like her. Both deaf and CI. Those are the friends she can identify with as she gets older.

I say that because as she gets older she will want other CI children that she can identify with and be able to talk about the issues involving a CI. That is gonna be a natural want.

Jag,

You say you didn't need a deaf identity growing up. While that may be true, later in life you are obviously seeking out your deaf identity. If you werent you wouldnt be here posting. Which is a good thing for you and anyone else who seeks out their deaf identity.

Seeking out other deaf in any form is connecting with people who are just like you. Whether that be a forum, a deaf club, a deaf school, or even a CI forum.

I think, everyone here could learn alot from each other. Cloggy, instead of arguing that Lotte can hear with the CI and that you are right about your oral only approach as of right now. Why not talk about what it is like to actually be in the hearing world as a hearing person and why you would want that for Lotte?

Jag, why not tell us about your experiences growing up as a child who was fully immersed into a hearing world from a deaf perspective?

Jillio, why not tell us why you feel that your son is gonna be a more well rounded individual for having grown up fully immersed in the deaf world?

Actually, Bear, I have explained this numerous times, but am more than willing to address the subject again. And, the reality of the situation is that my son was not fully immersed int he deaf world to the exclusion of the hearing. That would ahve been impossible, as I am hearing,a nd all of my son's family is hearing. I sought to raise my son in a bicultureal, bilingual environment. He was exposed equally to both deaf and hearing individuals, and spoken languge and sign language. He has speech skills, and he also is fluent in ASL as his first langauge.

My posts regarding the development of identity, are based not only on my experience with my son, but of 21 years worth of involvement with the Deaf community, friendships with numerous deaf adults, relationships with other deaf students with whom my son attended school, as well as my education in psychology and counseling. The facets of identity, and the consequences when certain developmental stages are not met, and certain innate needs are not met, are something I also deal with on a daily bais in counseling deaf adolescents and young adults. The need to connect with others like ourselves is not just a need that is found in deaf individuals, it is a common trait for all humans, and it is the foundation on which one builds relationships that provide the models needsed for a child to form their own accurate and healthy self concept. A deaf child who is exposed to only hearing individuals has the innate knowledge of the fact that they are not the same as these hearing indiviuals, and yet, they are exposed to nothing else to use as a model for developing their self concept. As a ressult, many,many of these chidlren grow up witht he internalized belief that they are inferior in some way. They develop the self concept of a hearing person with something missing, rather than as a whole deaf person. As a consequence, they develop many additional issues that prevent them from functioning to their optimal potential. Just onthis board, we have heard from adults who as teen agers and young adults developed such behaviors as eating disorders, who required counseling to deal with the issues created by such an environment, who have struggled with self esteem and identity issues into their adulthood. I have a group full of teenagers who continue to relate the same stories. The common theme among all is that they have not been provided easy access to the deaf community, that they were not permitted to learn sign language, that they were restricted to a hearing only environment, and that once they had contact with other deaf individuals, they began to see that there was nothing wrong with them at all. We have teenagers that post tothis forum because they are restricted to an oral environment,and they crave connection with others who share thier circumstances and can understand.

Many others here that are deaf and grew up deaf can and do tell us what it was like growing up as a deaf child.
Exactly, and that is exactly the approach I used in reaising my son. I am hearing, I did not know what it was to be a deaf child. The professionals that I was referred to were hearing; they did not know what it was to be a deaf child. The only perosn that could educate me regarding what it was to be a deaf child, what they needed as a child, what benefitted them the most as a child, was a deaf adult who had lived through the experience. As a consequence, I formed friendships with deaf adults who could teach me what I needed to know about my own deaf child's experience. It is an approach that I continue today in my counseling.

If I have learned anything in my parenting of a deaf child, and my 21 years worth of association with deaf adults and children, it is that the deaf individual knows what they need, and if we are to do a service of any kind, we must provide them with what they tell us they need, not with what we as hearing people think they need. Why, because as hearing people, we have not experienced deafness, and it is only through that experience that one is able to determine what one needs. I have also heard a common theme in all of my many and numerous conversations with a variety of deaf individuals...some culturally Deaf, some not, some with oral skills, some who strictly sign, kids who were mainstreamed, kids with CI....in other words, deaf people froma ll walks of life. And that common theme is one of feeling whole for the first time once they finally connected with others who share the unique expereince of also being deaf. It is something they spend a great deal of time and effort searching for....that experience that allows them to feel complete.

As cloggy has pointed out, I am hearing. I do not know, from the inside out, what it is to be deaf. However, thanks to the numerous deaf people who have come into my life over the past 21 years that have so graciously shared their experience and their wisdom with me, I have developed a deep understanding of what it is to be deaf and the issues that are common to all. Thanks to my education, I am able to apply theory, both developmental and cognitive, ina way that expands that understanding, and allows me to see remedical measure for preventing what is caused by environment. I am able to see the cognitive impact, the emotional impact, the social impact, and the educational impact. I started a thread awhile back asking if the deaf posters on this board believed that I had as complete an understanding of deafness and the issues subsequent as was possible for a hearing person, and also if they beleived that I continued to seek to increase my understanding. The overwhelming response was that they believed that this was true.

I am more than willing to share my experience as a hearing parent of a deaf child, more than willing to discuss the decisons I made and why, more than willing to discuss the psychological impact of various situations, more than willing to discuss developmental issues, etc. I have never refused to answer a sincere question that has been posed to me, not will I ever refuse to answer a sincere question. But what I will not do is continue to engage insdiscussions where it is obvious that no one is interested in learning and engaging in open discussion. It has become increasingly obvious that there are a few members here who are so rigid in their beliefs over that which they have yet to encounter that they are incapable of listening to the experienceof others who have walked that path before them. They see their own situation as so unique that they are unable to relate the similarities in their experience and the experience of others who have already completed that journey. They are unwilling to accept that their experience is not unique and different from all others on this earth, but in fact bears many similarities and that there is a wealth of information available to them from those who have already been there.

I could tell you what it was like growing up as a hearing child and then having my hearing decline on me to such a state that I was deaf at 14 years old. And what it is like to not truly belong to either world.

ALL of us could learn alot from each other, if only we chose to stop having to be right about everything. And start chosing to open our minds and really listening to the stories that are just wanting to be heard here.

Debating may be a good thing, but listening and truly listening to each other is an even better thing.

We can do without the sarcasm and cynism in our postings. But we simply cannot do without joining together in one basic movement. And that movement being whether if you are a CI user, a latened deaf person, a Deaf or deaf child, d/Deaf adult, oral only, sign only, or hearing parent, is to come together and fight for better deaf rights.

Who cares who has a CI and who doesnt? Who cares who can sign and who cant sign? When there are bigger issues at stake.

Many of you will say there are no issues at stake. You make your life how you make it.

That is simply not true. We need to come together and stop the discrimination that happens in the workplaces,schools, drs offices, and every else against the deaf.

Cloggy, Rick, Jillio these issues will apply to all of you whether if you want to admit it or not. Even though you say that because of speech and better hearing or knowing signs and whatnot, they will still face discrimination.

Instead of arguing whether if a chidl should be implanted or not, or arguing that sign or speech is better than the other. We should be standing strong and supporting ALL Deaf people no matter what the choices were or is for them.

Without unity, there is no change. Without change, we stagnate. Once we stagnate, the oppression of deaf and ci people every where continues.

This was an excellent post, Bear. You are indeed very insightful.

:smiling: your son is very lucky to have you as his mother Jillioie :hug:

Rambling still on going.. you know everything the best for your daughter knowledge than everyone's pov.. Pretty find interesting rest of all your thread. Full of trash! FYI!

I'm waiting for your daughter turned against your back really bad..
I'll be very happy look forward your daughter's speak it out herself NOT YOU CLOGGY!
When your daughter turned teenager or Adult.. she'll stand up!

Rambling still on going.. you know everything the best for your daughter knowledge than everyone's pov.. Pretty find interesting rest of all your thread. Full of trash! FYI!

I'm waiting for your daughter turned against your back really bad..
I'll be very happy look forward your daughter's speak it out herself NOT YOU CLOGGY!
When your daughter turned teenager or Adult.. she'll stand up!
Wow what a harsh statement. I hope for her sake, she will never turn her back against her parents.

Jag,

:gpost:
I couldnt agree more!

Speaking of seconding and thirding makes me realize something: See Jag's post way above and Bear's responses/questions to him (her?)? See the contrast between Jag's commentary/approach vs another certain poster who shall not be named?:whistle:

I am sure if we re-visited what Jag said above, that a good, civilized discussion would ensue without some of the recent and familiar rancor.....

Yes, yes, yes I know that the parents help the children to read and writing skills when there're no radio, TV, computers etc... but not that what I tried to say in my previous posts toward Fuzzy... Fuzzy positive hearing over deaf people which I disagree to... I tried to say that it's also the same with hearing as well... not just deaf... (I am glad that you answered my previous post over literacy skill).

I want you to aware that I am deaf parent of 2 hearing boys. I tried to explain in previous post that I don't take my hearing boys away from hearing world to consider me and my own world. Fuzzy said that they still can hear thru TV, radio, computer etc. if I took my boys away from hearing world. I tried to say that it make no difference because I can take TV, radio, computer away from my hearing boys that they should be deaf be like me and consider my own world like the hearing parents who worship the bible and take TV, computer, radio etc away from hearing world to consider the bible all the time....

Understand what I mean?

No. Sorry.

Hi, I have voiced so many times about CI. I feel very strong that young children should not have CI unless they has residual hearing left or prove that it would be successful. It is up to parent's decision what is best for the children. Too many times, it is what is best and easy for parents than a child. Many parents rather try to "fix" their child so the child could label as a normal hearing child. That is probably a natural response from a parent. Cloggy made a choice for her child. I hope she will become of what she hope for her to be. Remember, Her child will remain deaf! We need to educate parents what the options are for their deaf children. There are many methods of communication for deaf children. ASl is still the best method of communication of all. This is my option. Some may not agree with me and that is fine.
I grew up as a oral for first 7 years and it was so miserable for me because i can not understand what others are saying to me but i found it amazing that i somehow was able to pick up very well in education while i grew up. i learned sign language at age 7 and from there, i was so happy to be able to communicate with others. i understood what other are saying. It is not easy grow up in a hearing world. All my family members are hearing and i want to be like them. I was so shamed to be different than the rest of them. I remembered for few years, i refused to sign in a public places and used my speech to speak to others( i took speech all my childhood years). I finally accepted for who i am when i was in jr high school. Today, i use ASL and is able to speak well for my hearing children. i am still call myself DEAF! I am proud to be one and will never want to change for who i am!
There is nothing wrong with having a deaf child. We, deaf are successful in many ways. we are able to do things that a hearing can do. The only difference is our hearing!. I learned that many parents are afraid of what would happen to their deaf child when they grow up. There is one story i heard recently. A friend of mine visited one family as a home visit instructor and she met the mother whose child is deaf. She had other home visit instructor (hearing)who comes to her house last three years before my friend came to her. She was so depressed and sadden about her deaf child. My friend decided to talk to her about her life as a deaf person. The mother of a deaf child, began to change her attitude toward her deaf child and was so anxious to work with my friend every week, she came to see her. She finally got over depression. Why? She finally realized that there is hope for her deaf child because she see my friend as a successful person. She has never met any deaf person until my friend so she has no idea how her child would become later. She was worried about her and her deafness. She now knows that her child will be fine.
I do agree with Shel that no matter what, we need to be there to support parents and educate them what is best for the child. I still have strong feeling about CI and i feel that they should wait until children are older enough to get CI but again, it is not my choice. It is up to the parents to learn everything before they make a decision.

Jag,

I.

Hmmm excuse me, I actually joined this forum to learn more about CI's and the attitude toward them in the deaf community. To hear of the successes of those who've been implanted and to hear about the CI moments and enjoy the things the children do when exposed to sound. Personally I being deaf is not the first thing in my idenity. It is what it is and life goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back