Experiences the 1st week after CI operation?! Help!!

irishpeacephoto

Reaction score
I recently decided awhile ago to go bilateral after tossing around the idea on and off for about 5 years! I have a N22 implant on my right ear, and was implanted 15 years ago (6/95). I currently wear the Nucleus Freedom BTE. I recently had surgery on 6/28/10 (last Monday) on my left ear (haven't heard out of that ear in 17+ years so.. we'll see). I was implanted with the N5. I think that the surgery went well.

The experience thus far since 6/28/10: Don't remember anything after being knocked out on anaesthesia ofc, and when I woke up, it felt like I was drugged (haha). Didn't notice much until I got home. I was zonked out on Oxycotene for a bit. It was itchy until I got the bandage off Wednesday early evening. Those 2 nights/weds afternoon kept me waking up every 2-3 hours in so much pain.. Bandage off was a relief. Its hurt constantly since Wednesday but 2-4 advil every so often has helped with the occasional oxycotene.

However, I thought I was feeling better, then all of a sudden yesterday afternoon yesterday (7/3/10), the god-awful pain has come back and has left me unnerved. It hurt so bad yesterday that I could barely stand to eat anything at all.. and felt weak to my stomach. It lasted through the night. Took another oxycodene at 1am to help the pain. couldn't sleep at all due to the pain and immense pressure on my head whenever i move it sideways or up. (I wonder if the shower I took yesterday morning caused that??) tossed (on one side without turning my head) and turned. Took 6 advil at 6am this morning and the pain isn't going away!!! have tried to sleep..

However, I cannot describe the pain, but it's constant and hurts so bad. I'm not sure if this normal a week after the surgery, but a few people I know didn't really experience any pain a few days after and they were fine.

On another note, I'm disappointed as of last Wednesday.. I lost my sense of TASTE!!! I know of one person who lost hers after her 2nd operation (bilateral) and hasn't regained it in the past 2 years. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this?!?!?! (and maybe please tell me it'll come back??) :cry:

CAN ANYONE HELP ME? PLEASE!!

(oh yeah, and I'm seeing the surgeon on tuesday, but my parents say its nothing to worry about but is it?).

I would call the hospital that you had the surgery at - just in case you have an infection!

BTW - you said you took 6 Advil??. Is that a typo (I hope so because 6 is a toxic level!)

It's REALLY not safe to take more than 2tylonel or 2advil regular or extra strength at a time (and no more than 8 maximum a day) ... if you take more than that you can cause permanent kidney and liver problems!!

It would be better and safer to take 1 or 2 oxycodone instead of tons of tylonel and advil.

I agree I would call the surgeons office and get back in as soon as you can. When you took a shower you didn't get it wet did you? After mine I had a moderate ear ache and vertigo for awhile and it just hurt cause of the bandage was so tight and after it came off I was fine except the ear ache. As far as taste, I had a slight metallic taste for a couple months after but that cleared up itself. The vertigo did as well but that was pretty annoying at times.

it is common to have pain when bandage is on, and relief when it is taken off. but after it is taken off, I am not sure. let your surgeon know about this.

as far as sense of taste, I wonder that's why I have to have extremely spicy food, and that majority of spices taste bland to me. (today, I loaded up my sandwich with japlenos and banana peppers)

Probably, they have to get really close to the facial nerve when its implanted its possible they could get too close to it and bruise or nick it somehow.

Thanks for replies..

BTW - you said you took 6 Advil??. Is that a typo (I hope so because 6 is a toxic level!)

Yeah.. I took 4 every 6 hours. My parents aren't too thrilled with the idea of oxycodene since it's a narcotic, and apparently causes problems with fiber as well.

When you took a shower you didn't get it wet did you?

Yeah I have. It's painful to shower though since I can't tilt my head back at all or really turn.. Thank god I found out that the shower here at the beach has a massager thingy so I can just take it off the hook and sort of lightly spray water on top of my head?

I can't really taste anything at all on my left side of tongue, but with my right, I can taste stuff but it tastes kinda bland, unless i eat something stronger, but it's tough since i can't eat dairy and wheat.

luckily no vomiting or vertigo yet! i've been lucky but not with head pain.

IDK... but i never want to go through this again! thank god i had mine when i was so little because i dont remember it!

I wouldn't have shower on my head so soon after the op, least 2 weeks at best to give the incision a chance to close completely. Pressure from the shower could have worked it's way to your wound and caused an infection but I could be wrong and I am no medical expert.
You must contact your implant team ASAP if you are really hurting and you are taking more painkillers than needed...

I did have no taste for nearly 6 months after my CI op.

Regarding the Oxycodone - don't worry about taking it for short term use, it's actually SAFER than taken the amount of advil you are taking , not to mention that it will work much better.

Depending on the amount of Oxycodone you are taking (5/125mg?) It's a good idea to get a stool softener (found in the pharmacy section) and take 1 or 2 tablets (according to the package and how well it works) daily for the time you are taking the oxycodone. It will NOT hurt you, so don't worry about that.

I have A LOT of experience with pain medications including T3, Advil, Oxycodone and Oxycontin ... because I have chronic myofascial pain and fibromyalgia and have been prescribed various medications by the pain clinic here. Many people think that its safer to take lots of tylonel or advil instead of taking oxycodone for pain - but that isn't true at all ... it's actaully much harder on your kidneys and liver to take lots of tyloenl or advil than it is to take the oxycodone - and for the short time you are taking it it's very very unlikely to cause any problems (unless you've struggled with drug addiction in the past/present especially opiates).

PLEASE call the hospital regarding the pain ASAP - don't wait until Tuesday etc.
Also, please call the pharmacy that you got the oxycodone from and have them explain to you more about the medication so that it will put you & your parents more at ease ... they have prescribed the medication for a reason - and you're only hurting yourself if you don't take it as prescribed!

BTW - I'd also double check with the surgeon regarding the showering - I don't think that using a hand held shower on your head this soon is a good idea and is very likely to cause infection.

Regarding the Oxycodone - don't worry about taking it for short term use, it's actually SAFER than taken the amount of advil you are taking , not to mention that it will work much better.

Depending on the amount of Oxycodone you are taking (5/125mg?) It's a good idea to get a stool softener (found in the pharmacy section) and take 1 or 2 tablets (according to the package and how well it works) daily for the time you are taking the oxycodone. It will NOT hurt you, so don't worry about that.

I have A LOT of experience with pain medications including T3, Advil, Oxycodone and Oxycontin ... because I have chronic myofascial pain and fibromyalgia and have been prescribed various medications by the pain clinic here. Many people think that its safer to take lots of tylonel or advil instead of taking oxycodone for pain - but that isn't true at all ... it's actaully much harder on your kidneys and liver to take lots of tyloenl or advil than it is to take the oxycodone - and for the short time you are taking it it's very very unlikely to cause any problems (unless you've struggled with drug addiction in the past/present especially opiates).

PLEASE call the hospital regarding the pain ASAP - don't wait until Tuesday etc.
Also, please call the pharmacy that you got the oxycodone from and have them explain to you more about the medication so that it will put you & your parents more at ease ... they have prescribed the medication for a reason - and you're only hurting yourself if you don't take it as prescribed!

BTW - I'd also double check with the surgeon regarding the showering - I don't think that using a hand held shower on your head this soon is a good idea and is very likely to cause infection.

Oxycotene is highly addictive, and you've been using it for at least a week. You need to go see your surgeon about the increase in pain and it would be a good idea to have your prescription change to something a little less addictive like maybe vicodin,

Hello there :)

I do agree RE the showering part.My surgeon didn't let me put water on my head for 3 weeks , and no swimming in sea for the whole summer ( that HAD me properly tiffed off though ) but it's better to be safe than sorry.

As re meds...contact your doctors ASAP.Esp if you are hurting THAT much.

Probably, they have to get really close to the facial nerve when its implanted its possible they could get too close to it and bruise or nick it somehow.

:eek3:
Do they ever accidentally cut the facial nerve??? This is a new one to me.

Facial nerves one of the list of risks, so yes, it can happen, and I think they did nick it because my smile is slightly lopsided (but not noticable), I didn't have that before. but then again it could be anything that caused it. But I'm not worrying about it, it's not affecting my life.

My hat's off to you, A. I don't know if I would risk looking like a clown in getting a CI. I am glad you were not affected.
Happy 1000th post, by the way.

Benefits and Risks of Cochlear Implants <-----here they mention facial nerves and taste disturbance risks of CI. If the surgeon is not careful , it can happen. I had mine since 2003 so CI wasn't as popular as it is today so I think the Surgeon knows what to do now tha he did back then.

I think taste disturbance is not good and surgeons really need to be careful with that because it make a person eat unhealthy food, like spicy food high in salt (because of processing) , sugar (people can still taste sugar), etc. The food I used to enjoy taste bland to me today.

Anythings possible but highly unlikely theyd completely cut it. There suppose to do what my surgeon did and use a sensor on each side of the facial nerve of where there operating and if they get too close an alarm will sound letting them know.

And like the others have said water is a BIG no no after the surgery. I could take a shower but had to use a cap and not get it wet AT ALL for 12 days after surgery. Then after that the Dr told me after the staples were removed i could run water over it but not have direct pressure on it for awhile.

Yes, it has happened but now they have this apparatus that apparently helps the surgeon to avoid this....vaquely recall this....

As a person who lives with chronic pain I want to chime in on this pain medicine mis-information being tossed around.

Oxycodone is a percocet. This is not pure oxycotin. In the lower doses for those without a tolerance, taking it for a week or two after surgery will not end in addiction. I have been taking oxycodone as needed for over a year and I am not addicted. I take it max once every 2 weeks.

As for the advil - 6 advil is not a toxic level. As a 12 year old my doctor told my mother I could take up to 1000mg without worry. Again - this is SHORT TERM. Do it everyday and you will kill your liver.

Having said that, you are probably better off with combining advil and tylenol. Advil works to reduce swelling and tylenol works to reduce pain. They are metabolized differently and can be taken together. However, do not take the tylenol with oxycodone since that already has tylenol in it. If you are only taking the advil though, I suggest some tylenol too.

Instead of brand name tylenol go with excederine. It has caffiene in it which is a pain relief enhancer and you will get more pain relief with less meds.

I am not a dealer, or a drug abuser...I just live with chronic pain and I know my stuff!

I know the feeling because I almost went through that situation few month ago... in March 2010. You will feel off balance, dizzy, loosing taste, eye sight problems, and fear that there is something not right here.... It is possible that your brain may be swollen...

Just make sure that your wound are not open... you will need a parent or someone that you trust to check that for you because I couldn't see it. I may feeling it, but I thought it was my string. Anyway, if your wound is not close, please see your doctor so s/he can close up the hole. Or you can go to pharmacy and purchase a butterfly bandage that will close up your wound and wear that big bandage on your head for couple of days until the fluid stop coming out of your head.

Also you may want to hold off the advil for few of days because your head is not completely heal yet. Take some Tynelol.... If it gets worst, you gotta go see your doctor regardless...

When you take a shower or bath, avoid getting water into your head. If you don't want to take a bath or shower, then try the bath wipe.

Anyway, the problem should go away between 2 to 5 weeks... depending on how well you taking care of yourself....

This is my first reply. My operation was 3 years-July 07. Seems I recovered fairly quickly and don't recall much difficulty re: head pain. Had to wait 4 weeks for the stitches to be removed . The implant that I have is Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria. At this happened at Sunnybrook here in Toronto. I have completed rehab over 2 years and was part of a research project . Just yearly visits now.
It seems that one of activities I have done previously is go to"singles dances". Yeah 3 days after the implant was hooked up. Really sounded weird! Remapped the next day!
The reason: loud music to people speaking at the same time-forces your "brain" to play attention. This was discovered when I related all the activities I did after the Implant was hooked up.
I had sensorineural Hearing Loss over 50 years. Genetic from my father and have passed on my oldest son but not my youngest son-so far. First Hearing aid in the middle 60s. Loss all hearing in right ear in Feb1992 while losing the left ear Dec 2006. Got into the Cochlear Implant-Sunnybrook- section in Feb/07 with the operation by Dr J Chen in July and the processor hooked up in Aug/07.
From 1992 to 2006 have taken many Hearing Help/Speech Reading classes at Canadian Hearing Society- Toronto which is why, it seems, I got through fairly quickly the entire process at Sunnybrook.Yeah I knew about the process to get into Sunnybrook which happened quickly. While waiting in early 06- took my last SpeechReading class at CHS and scored 20% less than before. Not a surprise!
I found about this site from Beverly Biderman-Wired for Sound.

Back