Experiences or wishes for the mechanical volume controls?

Malik Heilmann

Reaction score
Hi there. My name is Malik. Im a guy with a background as a mechanic where i have worked with bicycle production and as production technologist where i have worked in the Medical industry.

I´m now studying product development and integrative technology. I am in colaboration with a company in Denmark, which specializes in micro-mechanical components for hearing aids. For my thesis i´m looking into a new solution for a mechanical volume control design.

Therefore i would like to hear those of you who have an opinion about “old school volume controls” or even better if you would like to share experiences, information, problems or wishes for those type of volume controls. It could be everything from the tactile feeling to size, breaking, color etc. Every information counts for me and could affect the design in the end.

I hope this thread can start a discussion and give me some input in combination with my contacts to audiologists.

I might put up a questionaire later if it makes sense to hgather some quantitative data.

Thanks in forward

Best regards

Malik Heilmann

I guess that i might have not defined my purpose adequately. For that i can only say I´m sorry. I put a post in another forum where there is a lot of activity, so ill try by putting in a text that i also used in the other forum.

Without saying too much, I can tell that even though that it is not the majority of HA users who prefer manual volume controls, there is still a segment out there, who prefer these type of volume controls. In this case I´m working with a VC with knobs for ITEs(and smaller) that has a knob or a "disc" which turns with one finger clockwise or counter clockwise depending on which ear. As i´m in a collaboration with a company who has been in this business for some years. They see that some people still want them. Today it is not possible to integrate these in smaller HAs, and as a company that is always trying to minimize mechanical solutions, this also makes sense. It could become possible to have these VCs in the future and still integrate future technologies. As this industry has so extremely small amount of space to work in, this project could make sense in near future. :)

Well anyway. As a mechanical designer, I see it as one of my main tasks to try and get user feedback when designing stuff. The function of my VC in itself is not really groundbreaking,i know that, but there could be some thoughts out there that could make sense to take into considerations while designing the stuff.
I still hope to get some feedback. Every word is heard here! Good or bad experiences.

Thanks again!

Malik

People are not answering because we are not here to help develop ewww products we are here to chat. we could care less about helping people make new products.

Ok, thanks for the answer.

At least I know, not to expect anything from in here.
You should try and work in the hearing industry. Then you would get paid by developing the HA products ;-)
My opinion is that the developers are too far from the customers and their needs.

Cheers
Malik Heilmann

Back