Experience with Hamilton Relay?

Well, I hope they have more details, 'cause it's not anywhere on the web. I guess I'll have to ask FTRI, the Florida agency that governs relay.

Brian said:
....., But since switching to Linux from Windows, I've not figured how to install Sun Java for the browser, calling the relay services through AIM is the only way I can get around to other than calling from a TTY/TDD. I briefly used Hamilton (HipRelay) and got tired of being delayed at different times, then I used MCI (MY IP Relay), I started to see some improvement with MCI and decided MCI is the one I will use from now on. MCI has some of really fast typers, at first it was hard to catch up with them. Most of the ROs I had in recent weeks were really nice - they even say "have a nice day." at the end. I haven't gotten anything like that from AT&T CAs in a long time! ID.

I switched to Ubuntu about two weeks ago, and last night I got the sun java applet downloaded, and the plugin working with firefox. Which distribution are you using?

I use hamilton relay at work all the time. I use it for 2-line VCO calls. I've just always used Hamilton because I first learned about 2-line VCO from them. When I connect with the operator I tell them I need a 2 line VCO call and they know what i'm talking about.

I tried the HIPrelay site this morning and the java applet loaded, and I was connected to an operator, but I couldn't type anything into the box. I'm going to e-mail their support today and see if they know anything.

The relay service industry is beginning to look like a giant lunchtime soap opera.

Richard

farmerjoe said:
I use hamilton relay at work all the time. I use it for 2-line VCO calls. I've just always used Hamilton because I first learned about 2-line VCO from them. When I connect with the operator I tell them I need a 2 line VCO call and they know what i'm talking about.

Please enlighten me on 2-Line VCO. All I know is that MCI offers this and I wouldn't know the first thing about setting it up.

cental34 said:
Please enlighten me on 2-Line VCO. All I know is that MCI offers this and I wouldn't know the first thing about setting it up.

to make a 2-line VCO call you need:
a non-dialup internet connection,**
phone service that supports 3-way calling.

To make a 2-line VCO call:

1) go to Hiprelay.com (or another IP relay provider) and connect to a CA.

2) tell the CA you're making a 2-line VCO call and give the CA YOUR number.
The CA will call you, and you answer, make sure the CA can hear you, then let them know you're going to put them on hold and use the 3-way calling feature to call the person you want to talk to.

3) talk to the person on the other end and watch as what they say is displayed on your computer. The CA dosnt' say anything and dosn't type what you say.

It's a full duplex conversation, The people you're calling don't know the difference.
--
** you can make a 2-line VCO call on a dialup connection if you had to, but you'd need a seperate phone line.

I believe all relay providers offer 2 line VCO. As outlined in detail above, it's simply the relay user starting the call from one line (either internet or a telephone line) then the relay operator calls them on a second (voice) line. Then, the deaf person or the relay operator would make a 3 way call to bring the hearing person into the call, allowing someone with hearing loss to hear their conversation on the voice line, and the other line will be the text.

Things like 2-Line VCO, 3 way conference calls, VCO-VCO, even HCO, are extreme rarities at our call center. Which I'm say to say could cause a difficult time to anyone who wishes to place such a call.

And I emailed Hamilton concerning the GA state contract, and just got a reply. In short, a lot of questions are still unanswered because things have yet to be determined, but Hamilton will indeed have a call center located inside Georgia, and they are narrowing the location between 5 different cities, which hopefully includes Atlanta. Looks like this is going to be a huge stepping stone for Hamilton.

Back