Excuse me, ma’am ....

MsGiglz

Reaction score
— your ‘baby’ has whiskers...
Woman in trouble for implying that cat stuck in sewer was a child...

Excuse me, ma’am — your ‘baby’ has whiskers

Updated: 6:06 p.m. ET Dec. 2, 2005
HOUSTON - Many people treat their pets like children, but a woman is in legal trouble after calling 911 and claiming that her baby was stuck in the sewer.

The woman, who was not immediately identified, called the fire department three times saying that her cat was stuck in the sewer, according to police. On the fourth call the woman said her 2-year-old baby was stuck in the sewer. The cat’s name is Baby.

The firefighters arrived expecting to find a child, but rescued the feline from the sewer anyway. Police gave the woman a ticket for making a false report, a Class B misdemeanor.

after no help showing up i cant blame her she did call 4 times pour kitty.

Wow! The woman phoned the fire department three times to tell them that her cat is in the sewer? And they never showed up? But on her fourth call, she claim it's her baby, and they figured it was a child, then showed up? The fire department did was wrong, Should have took the call and showed up even if it's a pet. :-o

Wow, That was a interesting headline. A 4th call and the firemen comes up to rescue the feline thinking it was a child which is uncalled because they are there to serve for any emergency reasons.

Just as if I wonder - If a child had a odd name that happens to supposedly be a pet's name and got trapped in the sewer? The firemen wouldn't be there on the first 3 attempt just because that child has the pet's name. Now that'd be interesting to see how it turns out if it really did happen.

Very interesting....I can't say I blame the woman here afterall she did called three times to have someone come down to get her cat out of the sewer, but no one came until she called for the fourth time saying her 2 years old baby is stuck in the sewer, that's when they finally came thinking it must be a child, I don't see a different in this, because people who can't have children has pets and they think of them as their own children/babies....I know a friend who will do anything for her cat, she treats her cat like her own child....

I don't think it right for them to fine her afterall, she didn't lie, and beside not alot of people would understand where this woman is coming from....I feel bad for her :( but at least she got her baby back :thumb:

Obviously the firemen aren't doing their jobs since this woman was calling for help several times....I don't think it's right that they ticketed her either.

I read an article on a similar issue years ago. It was very interesting. It talked about how women are so dedicated to their cats so much that they are willing to do anything for their cats and not for anyone else.

There was one guy who was married to a woman for many years. This woman fell in love with her cat and began to buy things for her cat. I mean... EVERYTHING! She was spending thousands and thousands of dollars on things for her cat. Yes, that means a $500 cat bed... $1,000 worth of cat toys... $2,000 worth for decorations for a room just for her cat... $1,000 worth of cat clothes... etc. She started buying less and less for her husband. Her husband then gave her a choice... "Me... or the cat." The woman quickly respoinded, "I rather keep my cat." And they got a divorce.

Another part of the article mentioned how this woman loved her cat so much that she never left the house and refused to have friends because she thought her cat was better than her friends. In fact, it was difficult for them to set up an interview with her because she refuses to talk to anyone except her cat. During the interview, she kept talking to her cat a lot. Boy, she's got mental problems! :crazy:

Nancy said:
Obviously the firemen aren't doing their jobs since this woman was calling for help several times....I don't think it's right that they ticketed her either.
The police were doing their job. The woman called several times saying "her cat" was stuck. Since rescuing animals isn't their job, they have a right to ignore the call. However, by misleading the police and saying... "her 2-year baby" was stuck... she deserved to be ticketed.

Sure, some people might refer to their pets as their "babies". Yet, it's not something to be taken lightly when asking for help.

How would you feel if you were cooking dinner and some lady came to your front door screaming saying that "her baby" disappeared? Of course, this would raise some panic for anyone because that's not something to be joking about. So, you stop what you're doing... leaving the risk of your house being burned down since you left the stove on and food cooking. You run to the phone and call the police. The police come running over to your house. Everyone outside sees the police at your house. Sometimes, the fire department and ambulance get involved when any emergency calls are made. The woman leads the police to her house and explain that her cat is missing. Now, the police are embarassed... with the whole neighborhood watching. People are now staring at you because you made a call for a stranger who said "her baby" was missing. Would that look good? No way!

Is there a resource dedicated solely to rescuing animals, in most communities? If so, then places like that really need to publicize themselves much better than they are.

Oh my dear... I can´t beleive it. I don´t blame a lady for "lie" to them at fourth time since she already ask for the help to rescue her cat 3 times.

The pets and humans should be treat the SAME... no matter what... :(

I can´t see anything wrong that a lady consider her cat as her baby... because it´s same with me, too... We consider our 2 cats as our children... I alway ask my hubby and children... where is my "eldest baby" and "young baby"... or where is my eldest daughter (19 years old Sussi) and young daughter (1 year old Kim)... :giggle:

VamPyroX said:
The police were doing their job. The woman called several times saying "her cat" was stuck. Since rescuing animals isn't their job, they have a right to ignore the call. However, by misleading the police and saying... "her 2-year baby" was stuck... she deserved to be ticketed.

Sure, some people might refer to their pets as their "babies". Yet, it's not something to be taken lightly when asking for help.

How would you feel if you were cooking dinner and some lady came to your front door screaming saying that "her baby" disappeared? Of course, this would raise some panic for anyone because that's not something to be joking about. So, you stop what you're doing... leaving the risk of your house being burned down since you left the stove on and food cooking. You run to the phone and call the police. The police come running over to your house. Everyone outside sees the police at your house. Sometimes, the fire department and ambulance get involved when any emergency calls are made. The woman leads the police to her house and explain that her cat is missing. Now, the police are embarassed... with the whole neighborhood watching. People are now staring at you because you made a call for a stranger who said "her baby" was missing. Would that look good? No way!

huh? Humans and Pets should treat the same and fair... I see nothing wrong that the people need anyone for the help to rescue their belove pets... It forces them lie because they ignore their help in first place.

It was happened to us once at 18 years ago when Sussi was one year old...

I found the example picture of window in google website for you all to see where Sussi was trapped middle of open window like this that´s time she was on heat. I use it for example is better than my description...

We went out to leave the window open to fresh air like this but we never thought that Sussi jumped and tried to get out of window and then trapped. The neighbor saw her and then call fireman to come to rescue her... They get ladder up to get Sussi out of window... We came home late night from outing and saw the note on my door telling us that Sussi is at my hubby´s parent´s house and tell us what happened... Next day we have our neighbor tell us everything... :shock: :Oops: thank them and then go back to MIL house... poor Sussi... She look sooo scared... We comfort her... and then go to vet to have her fix to prevent to be heat next time... We thank firemen to rescue our cat...

Sure there is! Humane Society do these emergency calls! Just call Humane Society, they will know what to do, and how to deal with.

Rose Immortal said:
Is there a resource dedicated solely to rescuing animals, in most communities? If so, then places like that really need to publicize themselves much better than they are.

Not trying to critize you, but problem is some locale are having budget problems, or have their own issues and have rules on how to handle emergencies (By priority). And that is where the trouble is. Some locale have flexiblies and usually not a problem for them. Making false statement with the law is illegal since the United States was born. Everybody knows that.

Liebling:-))) said:
Oh my dear... I can´t beleive it. I don´t blame a lady for "lie" to them at fourth time since she already ask for the help to rescue her cat 3 times.

The pets and humans should be treat the SAME... no matter what... :(

I can´t see anything wrong that a lady consider her cat as her baby... because it´s same with me, too... We consider our 2 cats as our children... I alway ask my hubby and children... where is my "eldest baby" and "young baby"... or where is my eldest daughter (19 years old Sussi) and young daughter (1 year old Kim)... :giggle:

diehardbiker65 said:
Not trying to critize you, but problem is some locale are having budget problems, or have their own issues and have rules on how to handle emergencies (By priority). And that is where the trouble is. Some locale have flexiblies and usually not a problem for them. Making false statement with the law is illegal since the United States was born. Everybody knows that.

She did not make any false statment, she called THREE times saying her cat was stuck in the sewer, when no one bother arriving, she called for the FOURTH time saying her 2 years old Baby is stuck in the sewer ( Keep this in mind, her cat name is Baby " , so tell me what false statement?...

The way it looks like to me is the fire department got upset cause they found out it was a cat instead of a child...so that why they had the police to throw her a fine...So therefore there was no false statement it was just an excuse for them to give her a ticket....

Why do you think there is animal control officer there. HUH!!! They will help you in any way. I have done that in the past. One dog was circling and I picked him up and called animal control officer. She came by and got him. Of course he is scared and blind. I felt so bad for him and was hoping that my mom would adopt him since he was small dog. But my mom couldnt adopt him cuz she didnt want to leave him home when my mom goes to kidney dialysis. That was about 2 1/2 yrs ago. So now the dog is in good home thanks goodness.

Also call animal control office. :D

As a former Volunteer Firefighter for my town...she should have called the ASPCA or the Animal Control officer....

It cost us any where from 3 to 5 Hundred dollars per call each time we go out on a call no matter what type.

Back up departments sometimes have to come a long way to reach our town when we have more then 1 call at the same time. If there would have been a house fire...lives could have been lost.

So I say fine her and charge her for the cost of the fire department coming out to save the cat.

diehardbiker65 said:
Not trying to critize you,

No Problem, I don't mind to have you to tell me what you think because I like to hear it. :thumb:

but problem is some locale are having budget problems, or have their own issues and have rules on how to handle emergencies (By priority). And that is where the trouble is. Some locale have flexiblies and usually not a problem for them.

Understand.

I have one question for you. Is it obligation for every house owners and landlords to insure Property insurance? Fire department rights are including? If not, then who pay firefighters to rescue you, your family and your house?

Making false statement with the law is illegal since the United States was born. Everybody knows that.

Unfortunlately yes, you are right about this because it's same here in Germany, too but they must have known it's same lady who called 3 times over cat and then "suddenly" use different word "2 years old baby" at 4th times. I would say to a lady when I were fireman - "2 years old baby?" Which one you mean because you mentioned "cat" before? and see what she answer.

To me, it would be nicer of fire department to explain her in first place instead of ignore her 3 calls over cat that why they can't do anything because it's not their job task instead of ignore her 3 calls and advise her how to get the help...

No wonder why a lady use the word "my 2 years old baby" instead of cat at her 4th call at last. I know it sound "lie" because she change the word at 4th.

lonetundrawolf said:
As a former Volunteer Firefighter for my town...she should have called the ASPCA or the Animal Control officer....

Understand but firefighter should tell a lady in first place to call ASPCA instead of let her do her 3 calls. A lady would of thank fireman's advise to call ASPCA then...

It cost us any where from 3 to 5 Hundred dollars per call each time we go out on a call no matter what type.

Who pays? Property insurance? Do we have to pay ourselves to have firefighters to rescue our life, house etc.?

How many fire department in a large city?
Do you have fire department in village area or town?

We have one fire department in village where we live.
We have one fire department in town which it's 3 miles away from area where I live.

I hope you don't mind me to ask you curious question :thumb: :ily:

Back up departments sometimes have to come a long way to reach our town when we have more then 1 call at the same time. If there would have been a house fire...lives could have been lost.

Do you mean that you have few firefighters and few fire truck?

So I say fine her and charge her for the cost of the fire department coming out to save the cat.

mmmhhhh I don't say I'm agree and disagree to this... I would say there're wrong on BOTH sides.

Why?

Fire department should explain her that it's not their job and advise her to call ASPCA in first place instead of ignore her 3 calls.

OR

Fire department should ASK her since they know it's same woman who call 3 times... "which one do you mean... cat or child"? when she use different word in her 4th call.

A lady use word "cat" for 3 times and then use different word "my 2 years old baby".

I can't judge anything but wrong on both sides.

Last edited:
Back