EXCITING for me!!! But want to share!!!

Altotwo

Reaction score
Hey All,

Need to share this. Wow!!! I'm so excited I'm having a hard time trying to write this. Today, there was a "silent Lunch" for the students of our school taking ASL classes. We were meeting with students from the Tennessee School for the Deaf. It was from 12-1:00 but I didn't get out of my morning class until 12:05. Even though the teacher was still talking, I just got up and left, because I knew it would take me a while to get to McDonalds where they were meeting. I had to walk to my car, then drive there. Anyway, there were several, I think 5 or 6 students plus a teacher from TSD. Granted I can't say much more than my name, my major, colors, foods, locations in a building, like offices, classrooms, restrooms, etc. But I did understand little bit. My Lab teacher was there and she was really going at it with the students. Boy, they certain sign really fast. I missed some, but I did catch the young students that I was sitting with ages. There were 3 young men of 17, 19, 19. I couldn't believe it. They all looked like early 20's. They were big and buff guys. Gosh, what are we feeding our children. LOL, LOL I felt really old since I am the oldest. My lab teacher is only 32, so she's much younger than I am. LOL, LOL. But it was soooooo great to be there. I'm so excited to be able to try to talk to those use sign language. I really can't wait to become more proficient. I feel so inept. But I do know it takes time to learn. Rome wasn't built in a day, LOL, LOL. But dang, I wish I could learn faster. :) Anyway, I needed to share this with you all. You all probably can understand how I feel in being able to try hard and do my best. I did convey to the young men my name and that I was level 1 in ASL. We have more activities and I am enjoying them.

Anyway, just wanted to share, because it was so much fun for me! Hope you all have a great week.

Hugs to you all!!!

Congrats on that!! I know how exciting it can be for you! :cool: Bryan and Gordon who is a part of the group is also learning sign language because they want to communicate better with me, Alyssia and Kori but also be more involved with the Deaf Community. :thumb:

Good for you! I remember going to the deaf club when I was learning tosign, and just feeling like my brain was frozen! Hang in there. It gets easier!

That's awesome!!! Good for u and dont give up! :)

:cheers:

Oh, that's wonderful to hear ( see ) ! I am glad you really enjoyed it very much. It would be very awesome for the deaf people to realize that you do really want to communicate with them by usin' sign language. Take your time to learn it. ;)

Congratulations, by the way ! :hug:

Thanks all,

I am excited because in 2 weeks we have a movie and get to know you "get together" at a reception hall. I am really going to put myself out there more and say the little I can, even if it is just my favorite colours or what my major is, etc. I want to be sure that I take my time because I know I get flustered with how fast they can sign. I do know the sign to ask someone to slow down, so that will help. I'm just so excited to learn a new language.

Hope you all have a wonderful week.

Hugs to all!!!!!

Best wishes to you on this journey; it will seem long and frustrating but it DOES get better if you hang in there!

thanks Tousi,

Yes, I do realize it will eventually get easier but I guess as I've gotten older I've gotten more impatient. I remember when I was in my 20's I learned French and it was by being around those who were French that I learned it. I know I felt frustrated when I couldn't speak it, but it did eventually get better, so I know the same is true with another language (ASL). But I WILL get it. I know I will because I am determined. And when I'm determined, I do something. LOL, LOL.

Hugs to all.

Best wishes to you on this journey; it will seem long and frustrating but it DOES get better if you hang in there!

Back