Ex-LIer held in baby's death

RedheadGrrl

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ex-LIer held in baby's death
Cops: He left daughter alone in unair-conditioned car while he went to track.

BY KEIKO MORRIS
STAFF WRITER

March 15, 2004, 5:56 PM EST

A former Elmont man arrested in Florida for the death of his 9-month-old daughter left the infant alone in his unair-conditioned car with a window cracked open one-half inch, while he watched horseracing at a local track, police said.

In a videotaped statement, Antonio Francisco Balta, 27, a horse groom, told police he left his daughter, Veronica, unattended in the parking lot of Gulfstream Park racetrack in Hallandale Beach on and off throughout the day on Saturday, police there said. Police said that Veronica was strapped in her car seat in the back of Balta's two-door, Pontiac Grand-Am. By the time she was taken to the hospital, her body temperature was 107 degrees, according to a police document.

Balta told police he checked on his daughter periodically during the day, the last time for about 45 minutes to watch the Florida Derby and talk with friends, according to the document. When he returned to his car shortly before 5:30 p.m., Balta, who was not working that day, discovered his daughter was not breathing. He then called his girlfriend, Michelle Bashford, the baby's mother, who was working at the track, said Andrew Casper, Hallandale Beach Police spokesman. She ran out to the vehicle and took the child to a first-aid station at the track. Police contacted fire-rescue workers, who attempted to revive the infant as they rushed her to the hospital.

Balta appeared before a judge in the 17th Judicial Circuit Court in Broward County, where he was ordered held without bail. Prosecutors typically decide whether to file charges within 21 to 30 days, after the police investigation is complete.

Balta's estranged wife, Jenni Balta, 23, of upstate Queensbury said she was stunned to hear the news. Jenni Balta, who has been separated from Balta for the last three years, said that he lived in Elmont when he first arrived in this country from Peru at 16. From about 1997 to 2001, he lived with her and her mother in Queensbury, while he was working at the Saratoga racetrack.

She said that Balta has been largely an absentee father to their two children, a son, 5, and a daughter, 3, visiting only sporadically and making regular child-support payments within the last eight to nine months.

"I am very, very, very shocked," she said. "He wasn't very responsible, and I knew that. But I don't want to say that sounds like something he would do, because I don't know. I never really allowed him to be with the kids alone."

Balta's family could not be reached for comment. And the mother of the infant declined to comment.

Copyright © 2004, Newsday, Inc. | Article licensing and reprint options

That bastard :rl: for what he did.. Left the baby in the car.. geez. The baby was so innocent. :tears: :tears:

why would he be so completely careless over his own daughter? he is pretty pitiful, I tell you.

That Guy Seems so Selfish thinking about his own self instead of his daughter It make no big Differences if he was going out and checking on her. He still has no right to leave her in a car alone with no Air Conditioned. A lots of People do that around here leaving Children in the car alone that is not right. If I can take my Children shopping then they can also. But they just want to be so lazy that they don't feel like watching their own children at the stores, anywhere they go. I think those People don't even deserved to have Children If they cannot be responsible. Who would think the Track will be important than Their Own Child? :no no: :crazy:

Some people are simply not fit to be parents...Susan Smith, Diane Downs, this idiot at the racetrack...:nono:

I don't get how some people can be so completely irresponsible. I never leave my kids in the car...I'm petrified that some wacko carjacker will break in, hotwire the car and take off with them inside...God, I don't want to think about what would happen!!!

If yer gonna have kids, you've gotta make some sacrifices...if it's a boyfriend, then eh, let him go...there are other men out there who will accept a woman who has kids...if it's gambling, so be it...you're more likely to lose than you are to win...

:::shrug::: I guess some people never learn...these are the people who should never bother having kids in the first place.

:::praying for that little girl's soul::: :(

Malfoyish

OMG -- the guy is so STUPID to have left the lil girl in the car in intense heat!!!!! makes me feel like making HIM sit in the locked up car with a window cracked open just a lil bit and make HIM feel how the girl was feeling!!!!

i feel bad for the girl -- now shes in the hands of God and the dad should have NEVER had custody of the girl at any time!!!!!

unfortunately, lotz of people are idiotz
especially after you every once in a while hear about this type of story, you think people would finally get the idea not to do this
every year i hear of at least one story like this, it'z ridiculous

*Sigh*...

Looks like there's another INNOCENT child died in the parent's care....To be honest here, Some people are just simply not fit to become a parent as Malfoyish had said....I'm very disappointed in what the father did to his 9-month-old daughter by leaving her ALONE in his unairconditioned car which is the MOST stupidest thing I ever heard..

My heart goes out for the mother and the 9 months old girl....This has result in a saddness tragedy! :tears:

:tears: :tears: :tears:

That bastard :rl: :madfawk:

What he do is a VERY SELFISH.... He only think his own pleasure to neglect his baby alone in the car...
It´s not responsibly what he did...

I hope the judge :rl: him!!!

"I am very, very, very shocked," she said. "He wasn't very responsible, and I knew that. But I don't want to say that sounds like something he would do, because I don't know. I never really allowed him to be with the kids alone."

So, the mother knew... and good enough that son of a bitch daddy was being irresponsible and careless. He shouldn't have taken his 9 months old daughter with him if he couldn't be responsible. Fuckin' stupid shithead. :rl:

Katzie said:
So, the mother knew... and good enough that son of a bitch daddy was being irresponsible and careless. He shouldn't have taken his 9 months old daughter with him if he couldn't be responsible. Fuckin' stupid shithead. :rl:

:jaw: ...Whoa, I never seen Katzie swear before....

;)

LOL Angel ;-) Of course, Katzie has feelings, too! I swear when something really, really piss me off especially with babies who are injured and death. I wish to put that stupid heartless son of a bitch in a hot dry desert and watch him cook to death. One large fried noodle anyone?

:laugh2: ...Katzie.....I don't blame you girly!... :ily:

Dang...that's so sick! Selfish of that guy to be at the horse races and leaving his daughter in the car! Poor defenseless girl! :cry: That guy should FRY for what he did! :madfawk:

They should punish him by locking him in a black car in a 100 degree weather with the windows rolled up and the heater on. That'll teach him!

Yeah he was pretty selfish and stupid for leaving the poor child in the car! but sometimes it can be accidental..like one time in Tulsa, Okla. the mother put her child in the van and told the father to take the child to day care, well he just plum forgot about the baby and left him in the van all day and of course he died. He said the mother normally takes the baby herself but she was running late for work so she had the father take the child instead, bad mistake!...dont remember for sure but i dont think he was charged for the child's death but can you imagine he has to live with that for the rest of his life?? Pretty sad!

Back