Everyone need to Speak UP for Closed Caption Now god DAMMIT

vatkat234

Reaction score
You need to get the message off the message board and onto YouTube and Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, digg.com, reddit.com, mixx.com. Everyone needs to start blogging online.

Once other people hear about the Closed Caption Problem people will care. People who are not death do care, but it's not on there mind.

I'm not deaf, but I'm a huge tech person. When I buy something I check to see if there is any problems with a device.

I have only used Closed Caption two times in my life. Once was when I was watching X-Files and agent Fox Mulder said something. I rewound the old VHS tape like three times. I could not make out what he was saying he was not mic that good. I had to turn on Closed Caption to know what he was saying. After that I could hear what he was saying after I knew. Well I have used them when there was a lot of people in the house talking. Most of the time it Christmas.

The other time I used Closed Caption subtitles was when I was watching the Sopranos and Tony Sopranos said something and I could not make it out. After turn on Closed Caption Tony Sopranos said something in Italian.

Also I really got into recording TV shows on DVD-R with my Panasonic DVD recorder E80H. To me Line 21 is part of the signal and should be recorded. I really do not want to but a DVD recorder if it can not record Closed Caption.

The only way I would buy a DVD recorder that did not record Closed Caption if it has a hard drive. DVD recorders with Hard Drives are becoming a thing of the past. There is a Phillips modal on amazon that I think does not record Closed Caption but I think it's the last DVD recorder with a hard drive now.

I was re-watching Sopranos season when I came to that episode when Tony Sopranos said that word in Italian and I was using my PS3 with HDMI and turned on the Closed Caption to see if it was working and it did not work and I was like that's really weird.

After using google I found alldeaf.com and seeing how TECH world really left deaf people kind of on the side I felt it was kind of crappy to do that.

I have also used Closed Caption when I heard a really weird name or word and did not know how to spell it.

I would say 99% of the people on this board are deaf. And the only other people that will find out about this board are other deaf people.

YOU NEED TO START TO USE THE POWER OF WEB 2.0. IF YOU BLOG THE WORLD WILL HEAR YOU.

I'd like to point out that not everyone are deaf. Some are hearing impaired -- from a little bit of hearing loss to severe.

I do use closed caption all the time when watching TV or movie due to my hearing impairment.

I am having a hard time figuring out why many (or most) people prefer CC over sub-titles. I am HOH and I like sub-titles more than CC. I respect others that prefer CC over sub-titles. More and more Blu-ray movies have sub-titles designed for the deaf and HOH. What's wrong with that?

After reading many posts, I can see that you will not be able to watch CC from old DVD movies that did not have sub-titles in Blu-ray or DVD players with HDMI outputs. Are there any other reasons you prefer CC over sub-titles. I know that most of you will say that CC will display in parenthesis that certain sounds are playing in the background like (telephone ringing) or (dog barking). I am seeing this in newer Blu-ray movies lately. SDH is getting better and give the studios time to improve sub-titles and we will be happier in the near future. It's cheaper to use sub-titles than CC. You have to respect manufacturers on cutting cost in order to survive especially in this horrible economy.

I know some people have poor eyesights and can read texts better with black background. I do wish studios or Blu-ray manufacturers find a way for us to be able to choose font styles and sizes. I find sub-titles a little too big for me and I wish I could select smaller font size. Likewise for people with poor eyesights to be able to choose larger font size. I think this way is cheaper than using hardware CC decoders. Software is always cheaper to mass produce. I don't think it's possible to do this for DVD movies because the capacity for DVD disks is too small (4.7 GB per side) as compared to Blu-ray (25 GB per side).

Peter

I am having a hard time figuring out why many (or most) people prefer CC over sub-titles. I am HOH and I like sub-titles more than CC. I respect others that prefer CC over sub-titles. More and more Blu-ray movies have sub-titles designed for the deaf and HOH. What's wrong with that?

After reading many posts, I can see that you will not be able to watch CC from old DVD movies that did not have sub-titles in Blu-ray or DVD players with HDMI outputs. Are there any other reasons you prefer CC over sub-titles. I know that most of you will say that CC will display in parenthesis that certain sounds are playing in the background like (telephone ringing) or (dog barking). I am seeing this in newer Blu-ray movies lately. SDH is getting better and give the studios time to improve sub-titles and we will be happier in the near future. It's cheaper to use sub-titles than CC. You have to respect manufacturers on cutting cost in order to survive especially in this horrible economy.

I know some people have poor eyesights and can read texts better with black background. I do wish studios or Blu-ray manufacturers find a way for us to be able to choose font styles and sizes. I find sub-titles a little too big for me and I wish I could select smaller font size. Likewise for people with poor eyesights to be able to choose larger font size. I think this way is cheaper than using hardware CC decoders. Software is always cheaper to mass produce. I don't think it's possible to do this for DVD movies because the capacity for DVD disks is too small (4.7 GB per side) as compared to Blu-ray (25 GB per side).

Peter

The biggest reason I think is that there will be Blu-Ray home recorders. A deaf person goes to Best Buy drops six hundred dollars on a Blu-Ray recorder.

That day the deaf person sets the timer on his new Blu-Ray recorder to record The Office, Lost or any other show.

After recording it on 1080i or 720p and play it back over HDMI or Component there will be no Closed Caption.

There are some TVs that only support Closed Caption from RF and not composite, S-Video, component even at 480i.

I say all devices should supprt Closed Caption all the way, and then let people pick what they want.

Also sometimes you might have better CC over subtitles. Other times SDH is great but you never know until you pop it into the DVD player.

Home Theater PC (HTPC) with HDTV tuner (preferably external HD Homerun HDTV tuner), Blu-ray drive and operating system containing Media Center Edition (MCE 2005 or Vista Premium) would probably be a better alternative. It's going to be more expensive than stand-alone Blu-ray player but you would have more control like adding your favorite Blu-ray/DVD player software. I use Cyberlink PowerDVD version 8.

Peter

We should NOT have to pay extra just to be able to use closed caption

Many cable boxes are unable to decode closed caption. Only a few are, and they require additional monthly fees which are quite excessive. Cable companies often charges extra money per month for an HDTV Cable Box in addition to HD cable service. It forces US to have to pay for it in order to just view closed caption on our television sets, which should already have been a free service.

Many DVDs are encoded with closed caption, which is not the same as subtitles. We are then forced to NOT use HDMI when viewing the DVDs, and not take advantage of using the HDMI port and not being able to use their TV's full potential, which we have paid for.

Closed captioning has always been the function of the viewing device. HDMI.org's claim: "All HDMI specifications support Close Captioning (CC) and enable the rendering of CC signals between CE devices" is inaccurate and misleading. It only shows CC if the signal is pre-rendered and permanently printed to the video, which is not the same thing.

We should NOT have to pay extra just to be able to use closed caption.

Peter

I prefer closed captions over subtitles for one very simple reason - with closed captions the text is white against a block of black background, so it is very easy to read quickly, the contrast between the text against a black background is perfect. I'm not even legally blind, but I do not like to try hard to read subtitles if it is yellow or white against the background of any movies - some of the words gets lost in the background of the movie itself. Like for example there is a guy wearing a white t-shirt in the movie, the white subtitles gets lost against that white t-shirt. It also creates eyestrain. I just really like it when it is very easy to read with ease.

One thing about blu-ray movies - I refuse to spend money on blu-ray movies and blu-ray DVD players - they cost a fortune and not too many movies that are designed to play in your blu-ray DVD player yet compared to a regular DVD player where there are hundreds of movies already available and many of them I can get off of Amazon.com or at the local Walmart for only $5 or even less. Regular DVD players costs as little as $30 nowadays. Blu-ray DVD players costs like $300. The blu-ray movies are like $50 each, yikes. I do not have that kind of money. Until the Blu-ray DVD players and blu-ray movies prices have come down to a more reasonable prices, I won't be touching them at all as I cannot afford them.

Back