Ever walk around with only one shoe?

Yes, I have walked around in one shoe....it screws up my sense of balance for about 5 minutes after I put the other shoe back on.

We can get by with one sided hearing....not as good as two, but we can do it. Same with eyes.

Sometimes I think the CI and HA industry blow things out of proportion to get more sales....

Again SOME.... and some not.... the point I was trying to make is every experience is different. I can walk around with one shoe one with out even noticing. There are other factors that might not be known so to say that anything is not that big of a deal is biased to ones experience and not nessicarily fair....

I lost my hearing in my left ear when I was 20. Started losing my hearing in my right at 25/26. So I spent about 5 or 6 years with SSD, unaided. I didn't get a hearing aid for it until I had to to get one for my right. It honestly never bothered me much so I never pursued a ha for it. But maybe that was just me. We've had other posters on here with SSD wanting hearing aids for it, so it certainly bothers some.

About 5/6 years after I got my hearing aids I got new ones, digital, the first pair was analogs but the second time around the audiologist told me I had too much loss in that left ear and I didn't recommend my aiding it. She said the force if the sound waves hitting my ear drum could make me dizzy. So I started wearing just one aid. Fast forward oh about 4 more years and I had another drop hearing and needed a new more powerful aid. Got them a year and a half ago. Different Audi and he wanted me to try aiding it again. It tickles my ear drum, I don't really get speech out of it, so I don't wear it much. Occasionally I'll wear it for a few days, it annoys me so I stop, then a couple omygod later I'll give it a shot again. Soooooo in the past 20 years I've only had that left ear aided for about 5-6 years. I don't know, it's my normal :)

yeah i remember violently getting ill,, while putting my head between 2 giant speakers and telling my friend to hit it.............
i kinda had a weird grin on my face for a week..the sound waves or whatever...never felt anything like that.......

yeah i remember violently getting ill,, while putting my head between 2 giant speakers and telling my friend to hit it.............
i kinda had a weird grin on my face for a week..the sound waves or whatever...never felt anything like that.......

It's bizarre. The lady that said I shouldn't wear it, at the begining if the hearing test for that ear she asked if it was too loud. I'm like nooooo but I can feel you talking in my head. It's like there's a bee in there. It's awful.

It's bizarre. The lady that said I shouldn't wear it, at the begining if the hearing test for that ear she asked if it was too loud. I'm like nooooo but I can feel you talking in my head. It's like there's a bee in there. It's awful.

It's called recruitment. I have it in my worse ear if the volume is too high. I still get benefits from my HA in that ear, so we just make sure the volume is comfortable (recruitment wise).

If you mean walking with only one shoe which mean I have unbalance to walk around which I could not walk straight. Now I am using my cane to control my balance so that I don't fall down and hurt myself in the process. My hearing loss on both of my ears are not even when I am deaf. My left hearing is severe (use hearing aid for environment sounds) while my right hearing is profound (totally deaf, can not use a hearing aid).

I only have a single side aided, so much nerve damage on the left I can't use it.

I know quite a lot of people who only have some hearing on one side...

I only have a single side aided, so much nerve damage on the left I can't use it.

I know quite a lot of people who only have some hearing on one side...

Oh, so that is what the phrase is like walking around with one shoe meant to say if a person have a single side aided. I think I am getting the picture now. I was confused about that phrase. I have never known what's that phrase meant. Sorry, I am out of the picture. :Oops:

Back