Ever have an interpreter you couldn't understand?

Daft

Reaction score
First of all, I must say that the vast majority of interpreters I have ever met have been very skilled. So I hope you interpreters are not upset with this thread!

Have you ever had an interpreter you simply couldn't understand? If so, what did you do???

Many years ago, one church I attended had sign language interpreters for Sunday mornings. Most of the interpreters were very skilled and some of them volunteered to interpret.

One person I believe was self-taught, I really didn't know him well. He interpreted a few times and then I didn't see again. I asked the person I charge of the interpreters what happened. All the deaf at church complained they simply didn't understand him at all. (And I thought I was the only one having trouble understanding him!) This interpreter was very upset with the Deaf and thought they were being rude. As the person in charge said, "The interpreters are hear as a service to the Deaf. They are not here for the fun of it." I haven't seen this person since this happened.

I sure have, in Church....she was "learning", or trying to, but I understood nothing she said, and she signed the whole sermon! Other deafies said nothing, but we did give each other a "quizzical" look. However another lady who did sing/sign was very good. But I give her an "A" in effort! Don't believe she will ever be able to sign well enuf to be able to be understood.

Also, I took one of my sons to Child Guidance a few years back, and they said they had a lady who "signed"....jeez!....I had to read her lips, she was so bad!

I am hearing but my goal is to become an interpreter and WOW....

oh yeah- I had a few that really sucked to understand. If this happened to me in church- I justs pass it on thanks for trying and leave:ty: . In a professional area like classes, meetings, etc- I make it a point that I prefer exact signed english due to thier terrible made up like ASL signs. If they take offense, not a problem, Ill call it in and tell them how I suffered :cool2: . If they are on a borderline of ok - LET IT GO! not worth the headache, I got more important things to worry about in life :deaf:

:eek3: I can't imagine how awkward it is to have a terp who's making no sense at all.

Luckily it hasn't happened to me with a terp yet but I have run into some Deaf people I simply cannot understand. I'm not sure if it's a dialect thing or a generation thing or what. All I know is that while I have no problem understanding most Deafies, there are just some I can't understand for beans. :dunno:

Happened to me in a hospital.

They rose hell saying they couldn't find an available interpreter, and with selective wording from me, they immediately got another interpreter.

Back