Ever have an Audi that you just didn't like?

mimimama

Reaction score
I have had to go to a new audiologist because I am looking into a cochlear and I have to use one of the universities. She seems compatent (sp) enough but she has absolutely no personality and I have absolutely no like for her. Wondered if anyone else has had someone like this. I am afraid to ask for a different one because I don't want her to lose her job or hurt her feelings or anything like that but if this is the one I am going to have to go to for mappings I would prefer a different audi. How do I explain this to my ENT?

She only talks when absolutely necessary and barely smiles and asks how I am today but doesn't wait for an answer. she just hits me the wrong way. You know, nothing wrong with her I just don't like her.

We had one in Missouri that the whole chain was owned by the same people. It was a National chain and I detested them to death. Main problem, they are the ones that VR and Medicaid used, so I had no choice.

I left an audi because she only wanted to make the HA sale and didn't even try to get a good fit for me. She didn't want to put out any effort. I have a HOH audi now and he's great.

I left one office because they seemed to churn through audis at an impressive rate. There was one woman there that I liked very much. Then she moved to Florida, and someone else came in. The replacement person was all right; not impressive but seemed adequate. Then she left for some reason, and the management hired another audi just fresh out of college. At that point I left; she seemed intelligent enough but of course was at the bottom level of the scale for experience. I wanted someone more experienced and on top of new technology than this young woman was. She seemed at a loss as to how to solve any problems with new aids or what to suggest, or how one brand might differ from another. She might have been fine as an assistant, but not as the main audi for the office's entire clientele.

This was in Washington, D.C., where the clientele included a lot of professional working people who had high demands of their audiological equipment, and the money to spend on various solutions. The new audi seemed like she would be a better fit for a practice that had more elderly people with quieter lifestyles and more modest demands of their aids.

Mimimama, you won't cause anyone to lose their job. Perhaps she might have temporarily hurt feelings. However, she's a professional, and the highest goal is to serve YOUR needs. So if you feel you want to see someone else, that should be fine. Does your ENT make the recommendations? You can say you just feel that you're not a good fit and you would prefer to try someone else.

I know it can be a bit difficult; heck, some of us have a hard time asking for a new hairdresser, let alone a new audi! But it is YOUR life and this is a serious operation and a big decision, so you need to have someone you feel comfortable with. AND who is competent, of course.

No matter what the professional relationship, you can't expect to get along with everyone you encounter. If it is a problem for you, ask for another audi. But also keep in mind that you are there to receive services, not to make friends.

If she/he does the job right, then I am happy. I prefer to get in and out and go about my business with out all the small talk.

I had an audiologist for 20 years and I stopped going to him as he hired women that had I do not care attitude. When I had to send a HA out for repair I did not get a phone call to tell me know it came back. When I called I was told my HA came back and when I asked what day it came back the woman would say
"I don't know but it been on the table for a few days". I finally got fed up and now have an audiologist close to my home. My old audiologist had to fired one woman because she was screwing things for him, he got upset with her while I was there.

I remember someone who was both audi and teacher at MSSD.. She got mad at me once because I couldn't pronounce her name. She seemed to think it was because she's black.

She even asked me how I would feel if some one misprounced my name. I said it's fine with me. There was no point in explaining to her this is a deaf thing. We don't expect other deaf to be able to pronounce our names. I never called her by name again.

On the other hand, I'd hate to be called elly or ells for short for Ellen but that's a whole ball of another wax :P.

well who knows? some can be a wanker.
I don't have a problem with my audi, I ♥ her and she gave me a brochure to one of the best hearing aids which I have right now before.

In my case, the guy is just a complete rude moron. He was always rude when I had to buy new batteries and wax guards. When either my kids or I complained about them hurting or our ears being in pain, his words were "Well, just suck it up my dear". Since he owned all of them in a tri-county area, I had no choice but to go to him.

In my case, the guy is just a complete rude moron. He was always rude when I had to buy new batteries and wax guards. When either my kids or I complained about them hurting or our ears being in pain, his words were "Well, just suck it up my dear". Since he owned all of them in a tri-county area, I had no choice but to go to him.

Are you serious??? About the "just suck it up" comment??? Man, I'd be outa there so fast!

Even if he owned all the offices, surely there must be different audis in different offices?

Is this present tense or past tense with this guy?

Are you serious??? About the "just suck it up" comment??? Man, I'd be outa there so fast!

Even if he owned all the offices, surely there must be different audis in different offices?

Is this present tense or past tense with this guy?

There were different one in other offices, but the insurance had us go to a specific location. Also VR sent me to the same location as the kids Medicaid. I am assuming he still owns them. We left Missouri 2 years ago, and 2 years before that, we left that area. None of us wear hearing aids any longer. Kids hated theirs and mine met an untimely demise, but now they would not help at all.

I am not looking for small talk either but that doesn't mean you can't be friendly. I was sent to this office that is 2 hours away for ssdi and then found out from the ENT they sent me to about cochlear and they take my insurance he suggested the surgeon and I havent' met him yet, I will on Monday but I went back to that audi to get a hearing aid and ask her also about cochlear. She knows we live 2 hours away because we asked her about combining appt and she wouldn't let us do the cochlear test and pick up hearing aid same day cuz they are in a different building? When I went to pick up my HA she pretty much handed over the case (i ask about which building I had to go for the next one) and she proceeds to take my hearing aid out and put my new one in while telling my husband which building I needed. Got it in and "there you go" wam bam thank you mam. Now tell me why in the hell she couldn't do that in a different building? She just seems so one step at a time. Milking this for all these appt. I also needed a catscan which was in the same building as the ci testing but she didn't inform us of that until after the ci testing. go figure.

Yep, my childhood audi.... visits to him was hell. He would tell my folks I was guessing on the hearing test as a kid, then as a teenager he straight up told me I didn't need hearing aids anymore.....

seriously what CARING audi tells you that????

Here in the UK you are lucky to see the same audi twice. Each time I go I see someone different, the last one I saw wasn't very helpful, but maybe the next one will be better!

I am not looking for small talk either but that doesn't mean you can't be friendly. I was sent to this office that is 2 hours away for ssdi and then found out from the ENT they sent me to about cochlear and they take my insurance he suggested the surgeon and I havent' met him yet, I will on Monday but I went back to that audi to get a hearing aid and ask her also about cochlear. She knows we live 2 hours away because we asked her about combining appt and she wouldn't let us do the cochlear test and pick up hearing aid same day cuz they are in a different building? When I went to pick up my HA she pretty much handed over the case (i ask about which building I had to go for the next one) and she proceeds to take my hearing aid out and put my new one in while telling my husband which building I needed. Got it in and "there you go" wam bam thank you mam. Now tell me why in the hell she couldn't do that in a different building? She just seems so one step at a time. Milking this for all these appt. I also needed a catscan which was in the same building as the ci testing but she didn't inform us of that until after the ci testing. go figure.
If that's all she did - put the HA's in your ear and nothing else, that's reason enough to ask for another audi. She should have spent time with you making sure the HAs were a good "fit". That you were hearing well with them, etc.

I have seen complaints by deaf people over the process. I had a similar experience last summer: the audi just mumbled things to me and I repeatedly told him I could not understand what he was saying. Finally I said, "You have no idea what you are doing. I am out of here," and stepped out of the booth. He followed me in the hallway, very upset, until I ran into a nurse, and I told her my discomfort in working with him. She conferred with the doctor and the audi was replaced with another one, a nervous one at that. :giggle:
It boggles the mind that audis are unable to communicate with the people they test!

At the time I was being tested to see if I qualify for CI's!!! :eek3:

Yeah, it really pisses me off when she talks to my husband like I am not there. And this was the first time I have ever worn an earmold and didn't think about taking them in and out when she put it in until later on when I went to put it back in, I was like oh shit and kept asking my husband does it look right now. Played in the mirror with it for awhile and had really sore ears at first. I had BTE but in the canal type "molds" before. Alot different with the fitting on ear. But I got the hang of it after a few days. Not to mention I think the HA she got for me is way too strong. I can barely turn it on one cause if I turn it any higher I get blasted. But then again this is my first analog and it could be because of that. I can deal with that but it really doesn't help me understand any better. It could jus tbe that my hearing has gotton that bad but if she would discuss it with me then I wouldn't be doubting her.

Yeah, it really pisses me off when she talks to my husband like I am not there. And this was the first time I have ever worn an earmold and didn't think about taking them in and out when she put it in until later on when I went to put it back in, I was like oh shit and kept asking my husband does it look right now. Played in the mirror with it for awhile and had really sore ears at first. I had BTE but in the canal type "molds" before. Alot different with the fitting on ear. But I got the hang of it after a few days. Not to mention I think the HA she got for me is way too strong. I can barely turn it on one cause if I turn it any higher I get blasted. But then again this is my first analog and it could be because of that. I can deal with that but it really doesn't help me understand any better. It could jus tbe that my hearing has gotton that bad but if she would discuss it with me then I wouldn't be doubting her.

That's exactly the experience I had with these Oticons I'm testing. I went back later in the day and he turned them down a bit. The whole point of digital aids is that they ARE adjustable, so the audi should be willing to take the time to adjust them!

I remember someone who was both audi and teacher at MSSD.. She got mad at me once because I couldn't pronounce her name. She seemed to think it was because she's black.

She even asked me how I would feel if some one misprounced my name. I said it's fine with me. There was no point in explaining to her this is a deaf thing. We don't expect other deaf to be able to pronounce our names. I never called her by name again.

On the other hand, I'd hate to be called elly or ells for short for Ellen but that's a whole ball of another wax :P.

I want to point out that she had legit issues about racism just like deaf have legit issues with audism.

And when I said that i'd hate to be called elly or ells; this is from the hearing and not the deaf.. Nothing to do with pronouncation but rather what what I'd rather be called.

Back