Ever had awkward moments where people thought you couldn't hear them?

rraja

Reaction score
There have been a couple of cases where people have compromised themselves in some way because they didn't expect me to be able to hear them.

One vivid example would be my behind-the-wheel drivers' ed teacher. Some background: we had finished 2 classes and were almost done with the 3rd and final one. Overall she presented herself as being fairly competent and a good teacher in general. Usually I had to turn around and face her whenever she said something since I couldn't understand her otherwise. I can hear with my CI but for unfamiliar voices I need to fall back on lipreading too.

But on the trip back to where we started the lesson (to finish the class), she suddenly got a phone call from someone she really didn't like. Immediately her personality changed and she started shouting all sorts of angry complaints about the guy and got into a huge argument with him. Since normally I can't hear her without facing her, I think she expected this to apply for the phone call. But her voice was getting louder and I COULD hear her :laugh2:

Has something like that ever happened to you? People think you can't hear them so they don't watch what they say?

No. I really can't hear them. And most people here don't have CI and can't hear them either.

You may need to wait until the numbers of CI members increase so you can compare experiences.

No. I really can't here them. And most people here don't have CI and can't here them either.

You may need to wait until the numbers of CI members increase so you can compare experiences.

Well, it's also possible there might be a similiar experience with people who don't know about lipreading? This might or might not apply to you though since I don't know what methods you use to communicate.

Well, it's also possible there might be a similiar experience with people who don't know about lipreading? This might or might not apply to you though since I don't know what methods you use to communicate.

Ah. I thought you meant actually hear. Unfortunately, I am kind of a lousy lip reader too. :lol:

hold on, We have FM system moment!

No, I don't really have awkward moment where they thought I wouldn't hear them when I did. I really don't understand people. Actually I don't think people really do that to me. when they do it, they know I'm aware of it because I always turn when I hear something so I can read their lips and they don't like me staring.

On the other hand, I did catch my husband talking about me on the phone. After he got off, I asked why. He had to tell me everything.

yes... it was when my father in law asking about my CI processor that my son "told" him about. Everything is cool

I was a store once and people were talking about my hearing dog as he wear a gentle leader and some people think it a muzzle. The people wear going on about my dog not thinking I knew what they were saying. I was able to read
their lips and understood every word! I told the people it was not a muzzle and that my dog does not bite. I also told them that could read lips and that should be careful what they say! The people were real embarrassed and it was very awkward for them!

Wirelessly posted

People always badmouth behind my back thinking I can't hear them, until I regurge it back at them.

I make my dogs wear gentle leaders and people think that the leaders are muzzles for vicious dogs. My medium size dogs are very strong and I'm not a big person. If the dogs don't have their leaders, the dogs walk me!

I'm really good at reading lips. Maybe that's my mutant skill. Some people realize this and other people don't. Makes life interesting...

Ever had a hearie pass gas....thinking that since ur deaf or HOH...you can't hear it?.....my sense of smell has been greatly enhanced since I became deaf....and whenever that has happened (as it has, even within my own family)...they catch hell from me. I know it's a natural function....but!...I don't pass gas in front of other people...unless I'm dying of laughter, and it's happened a few times, much to my own embarrassment....

I make my dogs wear gentle leaders and people think that the leaders are muzzles for vicious dogs. My medium size dogs are very strong and I'm not a big person. If the dogs don't have their leaders, the dogs walk me!

I'm really good at reading lips. Maybe that's my mutant skill. Some people realize this and other people don't. Makes life interesting...

People are always asking me if my dog bite, some time I say all will dogs bite if they feel threaten!

My situation it's the complete opposite. I get in trouble for NOT hearing someone. At school I used to ignore my name being called cause a lot of others had it too and then they thought I was voluntarily ignoring them. The ones that blamed me the most were my parents. Still do :laugh2:

Ever had a hearie pass gas....thinking that since ur deaf or HOH...you can't hear it?.....my sense of smell has been greatly enhanced since I became deaf....and whenever that has happened (as it has, even within my own family)...they catch hell from me. I know it's a natural function....but!...I don't pass gas in front of other people...unless I'm dying of laughter, and it's happened a few times, much to my own embarrassment....

omigawd!! This happens all too often. My sense of smell is also through the roof and drives the family nuts.

never had that experience cuz I cant hear and hearing people tend to turn their backs on me so I cant lipread them. I find it very veyr rude and offensive.

I remember an old classmate of mine from my mainstream days. Once I met him while he was working at a store and he recongized me and then he turned his back and I overheard him saying this is the girl who used to get me in trouble at school. The next time I saw him, I told him I had overheard that. The look on his face was priceless. *evil laugh*

Back